Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland Geothermal Spas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Iceland Geothermal Spas

I will be on a cruise, in Reykjavik for 2 days. One day I want to spend at a geo-spa.

lots of info on Blue Lagoon. Pros and con. The prices run about $100 for morning arrival and $45 for bus to/from.

I’ve read about Secret Lagoon, but it’s a 90 minute drive from Reykjavík....by bus. I don’t want to be that far from ship, relying on public transit.

Are there other geo-spas close to Reykjavík that also are easy to travel? Advice or suggestions?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GfL
There are lots of municipal pools all over Reykjavik and entry is only $8. The oldest pool, Sundhollin, is near Hallgrimskirja; and the largest one, Laugarsdalslaug, is accessible by bus or foot. Not fancy like Blue Lagoon or Secret Lagoon but these are pools that locals patronize.
_kurt likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I went to Laugarsdalslaug. It was walking distance from the Hilton Nordica. So, easy to get to on bus lines, although out of the city center.

It was a fun experience during a weekday morning. The local people were very nice. They all knew each other and would be speaking Icelandic when they would enter the hot pots, but upon seeing me and my obvious non-nordic look, they immediately switched to English so as to not be rude and to include me in the conversations. They were so nice and friendly and took the time to explain the 'process' they use, especially on cold windy days like when I was there. They were mostly older and retired. Just lovely people.

I think it was so much more 'real' than the Blue Lagoon, and a heck of a lot cheaper too. $8-10. There were school kids running around the splash pads and kiddy pools, folks in the hot pots and the full length heated swimming pool was nice too. It was a very unique experience. And a hot dog stand right out front of course.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
There is also the Fontana Spa, which competes with Secret Lagoon for folks not wanting a city pool experience, but who feel the Blue Lagoon is not for them.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
There are lots of municipal pools all over Reykjavik and entry is only $8. The oldest pool, Sundhollin, is near Hallgrimskirja; and the largest one, Laugarsdalslaug, is accessible by bus or foot. Not fancy like Blue Lagoon or Secret Lagoon but these are pools that locals patronize.
Just for clarity. The Secret lagoon is hardly a spa, and certainly not fancy. It's quaint and rustic - just a wooden building with changing rooms and a big open pool - very simple, and for me it was utterly perfect. We stopped as part of a day-long tour, so the driving time didn't factor in, but, yes, it is a trek. There were many (I'd say mostly) locals, with a few tourists who were welcomed.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:30 pm
Suspended

I went in June and I thought the Blue Lagoon was overrated. The local pools were much more fun.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcbg1
I went in June and I thought the Blue Lagoon was overrated. The local pools were much more fun.
I’m not sure overrated ....from what most people say, it’s a great day. But the prices are overwhelming.

which local pools did you visit!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I’m not sure overrated ....from what most people say, it’s a great day. But the prices are overwhelming.

which local pools did you visit!
It was overpriced and overrated to me. It's pretty but way too many tourists who didn't seem to be showering much before going in the water. And some locals warned me about condoms floating in the water.

I went to Laugarsdalslaug as it was very close to my airbnb. Place was great!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I went to Laugarsdalslaug. It was walking distance from the Hilton Nordica. So, easy to get to on bus lines, although out of the city center.

It was a fun experience during a weekday morning. The local people were very nice. They all knew each other and would be speaking Icelandic when they would enter the hot pots, but upon seeing me and my obvious non-nordic look, they immediately switched to English so as to not be rude and to include me in the conversations. They were so nice and friendly and took the time to explain the 'process' they use, especially on cold windy days like when I was there. They were mostly older and retired. Just lovely people.

I think it was so much more 'real' than the Blue Lagoon, and a heck of a lot cheaper too. $8-10. There were school kids running around the splash pads and kiddy pools, folks in the hot pots and the full length heated swimming pool was nice too. It was a very unique experience. And a hot dog stand right out front of course.
Damn, I was in Iceland a couple of years ago and stayed a couple of blocks away from the Nordica. I wish I'd known about this place; I'd have gone in a heartbeat!

I did end up going to the local pools in Akureyri, which were heavenly. I spent a couple of hours there, and it was hands down one of the highlights of my trip.
bitterproffit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.