Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Rational to stay at Malmo for visiting Copenhagen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi, guys, I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend. He's visiting Copenhagen in Sept and the problem is the accommodation in Copenhagen is too expensive, so he's thinking of staying at Malmo. What's the cheapest way to go to Malmo from Copenhagen? Do you think that he should stay at Malmo for visitng Copenhagen? He plan to visit Copenhagen for 3days, should he spend maybe 1 day in Malmo?

Thanks a lot=)
Regards=)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
What's the cheapest way to go to Malmo from Copenhagen? Do you think that he should stay at Malmo for visitng Copenhagen? He plan to visit Copenhagen for 3days, should he spend maybe 1 day in Malmo?
Hitchhiking is the cheapest way, although I would take the train. How about one night in Copenhagen and one in Malmö? Would that make the average nightly rate ok?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Is 2days 1night enough to explore Copenhagen?

Originally Posted by tsastor
Hitchhiking is the cheapest way, although I would take the train. How about one night in Copenhagen and one in Malmö? Would that make the average nightly rate ok?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Is 2days 1night enough to explore Copenhagen?
Not to get a true feeling about the city, but enough for the Tivoli (evening), old harbour, Christiania and maybe even the Zoo.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Not to get a true feeling about the city, but enough for the Tivoli (evening), old harbour, Christiania and maybe even the Zoo.
Thanks for the advice and information=)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To be honest, I wouldn't do this.

There are some buses, but you'd probably end up going on the train, and the fares over the bridge aren't especially cheap (SEK106 each way). It's an easy and impressive journey, but it does take some time.

I'd look at alternatives in Copenhagen or in Denmark. If you're willing to travel to save money, it'll be cheaper to travel on the Danish side. Plus, there are some decent rates out there in Copenhagen: AirBnB has some very decent rates in the city, for one. Plus, you often get a bike thrown in (and I'd almost class that as an essential for the city!)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:52 am
Original Poster

That's useful, thanks=)

Originally Posted by stut

There are some buses, but you'd probably end up going on the train, and the fares over the bridge aren't especially cheap (SEK106 each way). It's an easy and impressive journey, but it does take some time.

I'd look at alternatives in Copenhagen or in Denmark. If you're willing to travel to save money, it'll be cheaper to travel on the Danish side. Plus, there are some decent rates out there in Copenhagen: AirBnB has some very decent rates in the city, for one. Plus, you often get a bike thrown in (and I'd almost class that as an essential for the city!)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
recommend airbnb

airbnb.com has lots of CPH listings.^
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Great advice.

The Copenhagen-Malmo trip over the bridge can be as low as around 85 SEK each way (for an individual traveling alone), if using the Swedish JOJO card system (but that requires being sent one from Sweden or picking up one there). And if having an around the Oresund ticket, unlimited crossings across the bridge in 48 hours become possible.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:48 pm

IIRC, doesn't the "around the sound" ticket (available only on Sweden) permit just one bridge crossing, and one crossing of the Helsingør-Helsingborg ferry?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your information, can you please provide a link? What I saw online about the Oresund ticket is just one time crossing...Thanks a lot in advance=)

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Great advice.

The Copenhagen-Malmo trip over the bridge can be as low as around 85 SEK each way (for an individual traveling alone), if using the Swedish JOJO card system (but that requires being sent one from Sweden or picking up one there). And if having an around the Oresund ticket, unlimited crossings across the bridge in 48 hours become possible.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:52 am

The Jojo card is a smartcard, based on the Swedish side, but valid on the Øresund trains. It allows a discount on the standard one-way train fares:

http://www.skanetrafiken.se/template...epslanguage=EN

The "around the Sound" ticket is an excursion fare, intended for travellers based in Sweden to do a round-robin trip via Denmark, using the Helsingør ferry in one direction, and the Øresund bridge in the other, but which can be used for unlimited travel otherwise:

Both can only be bought in Sweden.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your information. So those this 'around the sound' ticket valid for taking public transport from Helsingborg to Malmo and from Copenhagen to Helsingör?

Thanks in advance,
Regards=)

The Jojo card is a smartcard, based on the Swedish side, but valid on the Øresund trains. It allows a discount on the standard one-way train fares:

The "around the Sound" ticket is an excursion fare, intended for travellers based in Sweden to do a round-robin trip via Denmark, using the Helsingør ferry in one direction, and the Øresund bridge in the other, but which can be used for unlimited travel otherwise:

Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Thanks a lot for your information. So those this 'around the sound' ticket valid for taking public transport from Helsingborg to Malmo and from Copenhagen to Helsingör?

Thanks in advance,
Regards=)
Yes. It is good only for one ferry crossing as a practical matter but works out for unlimited bridge crossings within the period.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:51 pm
Suspended

The jojo card also discounts travel by public buses.

The jojo cards are sold internationally, just not by Skanetrafiken and are a gray market.

Around the sound tickets were also sold by the Copenhagen Visitors Center and maybe still are.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.