Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Rational to stay at Malmo for visiting Copenhagen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rational to stay at Malmo for visiting Copenhagen?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:45 am
Original Poster

I thought we can cross the bridge in one direction for unlimited times and take the ferry in the other direction for unlimited times with the Around the Sound ticket?

So, if I'm staying in Malmo, with this Around the Sound ticket, I will take the bridge to Copenhagen and take the ferry from Helsingor to Helsingborg. So, does this ticket include the transport for me to go from Copenhagen to Helsingor and from Helsingborg to Malmo? If not, how could I get from Copenhagen to Helsingor?

Thanks=)

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes. It is good only for one ferry crossing as a practical matter but works out for unlimited bridge crossings within the period.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
I thought we can cross the bridge in one direction for unlimited times and take the ferry in the other direction for unlimited times with the Around the Sound ticket?

So, if I'm staying in Malmo, with this Around the Sound ticket, I will take the bridge to Copenhagen and take the ferry from Helsingor to Helsingborg. So, does this ticket include the transport for me to go from Copenhagen to Helsingor and from Helsingborg to Malmo? If not, how could I get from Copenhagen to Helsingor?

Thanks=)
The ticket only has one Scandlines voucher on it that gets removed when at the ferry terminal and boarding it. Nothing gets removed when taking the trains across the bridge. At least that is my experience on these tickets in the last two years.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
When I spent a short week in the area, I stayed at the Hilton in Malmo which was about 60% of the Hilton in Copenhagen. That plus the Around the Sound ticket and buses across the bridge saved me a ton of Kroner, both Swedish and Danish.

Cheers
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

Thanks=)
Seems you didn't get an answer for the second part of the question?
Yes, transport included!

This ticket includes unlimited travel for 2 days in all of Skne region (-train, Pga-train, city busses, regional busses). In Denmark valid on -train ONLY on the costal route (between Copenhagen and Helsingr) and on copenhagen metro and Movia busses.

Info unfortunately only in swedish
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Sorry for troubling, it's clear now=) Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by intuition
Seems you didn't get an answer for the second part of the question?
Yes, transport included!

This ticket includes unlimited travel for 2 days in all of Skne region (-train, Pga-train, city busses, regional busses). In Denmark valid on -train ONLY on the costal route (between Copenhagen and Helsingr) and on copenhagen metro and Movia busses.

Info unfortunately only in swedish
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:32 am
Suspended

Any chance that the Nordic Choice Hotels' Quality Hotel View at Malmo Hyllie train station opens before January 2015?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Copenhagen was crazy busy last week, some hoary old 70s and 80s rock legends in town apparently.

My last night I had to spend out at Herlev, then I had an early flight to catch. I was wondering if I'd have been better to go to Malmo.

Jury's still out, it seems.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mandolino
Copenhagen was crazy busy last week, some hoary old 70s and 80s rock legends in town apparently.

My last night I had to spend out at Herlev, then I had an early flight to catch. I was wondering if I'd have been better to go to Malmo.

Jury's still out, it seems.
This week isn't much better. Rates are still just about as high as they get for the area.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
The first night I stayed near the main station. While I was waiting for my room to be ready at 3pm (another aspect of it being so busy), I counted more than 20 people coming in looking for a room, and the phone was ringing constantly. And yes, they were charging top rate.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Hello! It's years later, and I have the same question as the OP, but in relation to pandemic times.

How is it crossing between Malmo and Copenhagen? I was thinking in the pre-pandemic era, there might not have been border or security checks (since it seems both Sweden and Copenhagen are members of the Schengen Area, as well as cultural and economic counterparts); assuming that was all true, it may have made staying in Malmo (to visit Copenhagen) a suitable alternative.

But maybe times have changed, and in this current era there are obstacles.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Hello! It's years later, and I have the same question as the OP, but in relation to pandemic times.

How is it crossing between Malmo and Copenhagen? I was thinking in the pre-pandemic era, there might not have been border or security checks (since it seems both Sweden and Copenhagen are members of the Schengen Area, as well as cultural and economic counterparts); assuming that was all true, it may have made staying in Malmo (to visit Copenhagen) a suitable alternative.

But maybe times have changed, and in this current era there are obstacles.
There were obstacles and Swedish border checks even before the pandemic for this crossing into Sweden.

Surface crossings from Denmark into Sweden changed nearly half a decade ago, and crossing into Sweden from Denmark is now pretty much like what it was for the years before the pandemic struck: passport control/ID checks from time to time. The difference is that nowadays there are more frequent passport control/ID checks than at this time of the year in 2019. Otherwise, it's basically the same as pre-pandemic for this crossing.

Staying in Malmo and visiting Copenhagen does work, but I wouldn't suggest that everyone do this -- it works better if the plan is to base in one location and visit both Copenhagen and southern Sweden. The closer a Malmo hotel is to the Malmo Central Station, the Malmo Trianglen Station or the Malmo-Hyllie station, the more convenient it is to stay in Malmo to visit Copenhagen, as trains run pretty much every 20 minutes all day every day except in the wee a.m. hours; and the time from Malmo C to CPH airport is around 20 minutes, around 16 minutes from Trianglen, and around 12-15 minutes from Hyllie. The same Oresundstag trains that go from Malmo to CPH airport also go into Copenhagen's main train station.

Nordic Choice Hotels' Quality Hotel View at Malmo Hyllie is the closest Malmo hotel to CPH airport, but that hotel is in an area that is sort of typical modern Swedish blah in character; so other than for its convenient location for CPH airport, I usually don't suggest it. Says the person who uses it a lot.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Just a small add-on to GUWonder's answer.
Staying at Hyllie has another small benefit as you might waste less time. The passport/id control is done at Hyllie station meaning if you dismbark there, it will be done on the platform and is rather quick. There is a organised pen for it and the locals getting off the train here aren't too many.
Those bound for other malm stations (and further) will be checked onboard the stationary train at Hyllie station by officers walking through the train. This is often a very slow process as trains can be crowded.

In the end, this means you can be in your room at Quality Hotel View even before the train has left the station for Malm triangeln.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:59 am
Suspended

The locals getting off the train at Hyllie are many more than used to be the case in 2013 and 2015 at this time of the year. There is a lot more residential presence within walking distance of the Hyllie station than used to be the case even three years ago; and people get off at Hyllie more than ever before even to just run typical errands or for other reasons.

I heard that Malmo's population has grown even more during this pandemic than Gothenburg and Stockholm combined has. Take that and Malmo's increased housing density and housing developments since 2013, and getting off at Hyllie seems to become more typical for cross-border commuters now than was the case in 2013 and 2015 at this time of the year.

intuition is correct that it's faster and more consistent time-wise to get to the front desk at the Quality Hotel View at Hyllie than continue to Trianglen or Malmo C on the train from Hyllie.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 4:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The locals getting off the train at Hyllie are many more than used to be the case in 2013 and 2015 at this time of the year. There is a lot more residential presence within walking distance of the Hyllie station than used to be the case even three years ago; and people get off at Hyllie more than ever before even to just run typical errands or for other reasons.

I heard that Malmo's population has grown even more during this pandemic than Gothenburg and Stockholm combined has. Take that and Malmo's increased housing density and housing developments since 2013, and getting off at Hyllie seems to become more typical for cross-border commuters now than was the case in 2013 and 2015 at this time of the year.
True, the Hyllie "suburb" has grown a lot lately.

And your source seems to be well informed aswell. Official population numbers for each city says:

Q4 2019 - Q2 2021
Stockholm +1 746
Malm +5 138
Gteborg +4 477

Q1 2020 - Q2 2021
Stockholm -85
Malm +3 962
Gteborg +3 091

Q2 2020 - Q2 2021
Stockholm +571
Malm +3 278
Gteborg +3 088

Not that it is a big surprise Stockholm city has a very limited growth. Not much space left for new housing.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
the problem is the accommodation in Copenhagen is too expensive
Cabinn and Wakeup both with various locations in Copenhagen are inexpensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.