Aurora Borealis

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Aurora Borealis

Hi

I'm heading over to Europe in December and thinking I have never seen AB but it's on my must see things. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay, as I understand you need at least 4 nights to see it.

Thanks
Old May 22, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: QANTAS FF, SKYWARDS GOLD
AB (aka Northern Lights)

Tromso in Northern Norway has a good reputation as a base for seeing the Lights. Both Thon & SAS hotel chains have hotels there. The best viewing point is at the top of the cable car at midnight.

Just remember that the Lights are not guaranteed to be visible on any particular night. You may like to consider doing a round trip on the Hurtigruten (Norwegian Coastal Voyage) from Bergen to Kirkenes & back. It's a 12 day trip & most of the time you're above the Arctic Circle which improves your chances. Plus you can book a phone call with Reception to ring you at night if the Lights appear after you have gone to bed.
Definitely the most civilised way to approach the problem.

Good luck

Dave
Old May 22, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I've been to Lapland for a week just about every winter the last ten years. Only once did I see truly spectacular Northern Lights.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I might look into Tromso. A 12 night cruise is a bit longer than I was planning on spending, I really won't have the time for that. Is there any sort of forecasting that is available? As I understand it is quite reliant on the Sun.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: SK *B (?)
Originally Posted by bensyd
Thanks for the advice. I might look into Tromso. A 12 night cruise is a bit longer than I was planning on spending, I really won't have the time for that. Is there any sort of forecasting that is available? As I understand it is quite reliant on the Sun.
If you are willing to crunch some numbers, NOAA has quite a bit of information here:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/index.html

I'd also like to recommend Abisko as a good viewing spot. Due to local geography, the weather is often clear there:

http://www.abisko.nu/vinter/englishpages/index.asp
Old May 25, 2011, 5:29 am

Finland has an aurora forecast service: http://aurora.fmi.fi/public_service/

But I have to emphasize that seeing the Northern Lights is really hit and miss. Not only do they show up pretty much randomly, but they're high above the clouds, so even if there's activity you won't see a thing unless the skies are clear.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks lnixon and jpatokal.

I realise that there is only a chance that I will actually get to see them, but I have always wanted to since I was a kid. So it's worth it, to me anyway!

lnixon, Abisco doesn't look to bad. Do you know if the skiing is any good there?

Last edited by bensyd; May 25, 2011 at 11:13 pm
Old May 30, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: SK *B (?)
lnixon, Abisco doesn't look to bad. Do you know if the skiing is any good there?
I'm not a downhill skier, but there are several ski resorts along Lake Torneträsk, and I think you can get day passes on the train/bus. See e.g.

http://www.stromma.se/en/Riksgransen/

http://bjorkliden.se/?q=node/8
Old May 31, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Some of the tourgroups that run AB viewing tours out of Reykjavik offer a free repeat trip if there's no sighting.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: QF, HH
What about Svalbard? It's well connected to Tromso with flights, for a place so isolated, but in that sense it'd be interesting to visit I've always thought...
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I have seen it once during a one week stay during September, in Abisko.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catweazle
What about Svalbard? It's well connected to Tromso with flights, for a place so isolated, but in that sense it'd be interesting to visit I've always thought...
I saw that, I guess it would be pretty cool to take a flight to Svalbard just to say I went to Svalbard.

I've booked 4 nights in Tromso, including NYE. Hopefully nature will put on its own fireworks!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:56 am

I saw that, I guess it would be pretty cool to take a flight to Svalbard just to say I went to Svalbard.
Problem is, in December it'll be the polar night up there, with no sunlight at all, and even more freezing cold than usual. I suppose this would increase your aurora-spotting odds a bit, but it would be a bit of drag for trying to do anything else...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Hi

I'm heading over to Europe in December and thinking I have never seen AB but it's on my must see things. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay, as I understand you need at least 4 nights to see it.

Thanks

There's no guarantee - I would not necessarily count on 4 nights. I have seen the repeatedly in Iceland.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 8:31 pm

The University of Alaska also has an aurora forecast: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

Unfortunately for aurora fans, it looks like we're headed for a long period of minimal solar activity: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-activity.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.