Aurora Borealis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aurora Borealis

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: TK E+
The first rule to see the northern light is (obviously) a clear sky. There tend to be more days with clear sky the father you get from the coast.

Not sure what your schedule is, but if you are into a small adventure you could try Ivalo in Northern Finland. Domestic flights from Helsinki and a few guest houses/motels to stay at. If you are in Norway anyway, Pasvik in North-Eastern Norway is easily accessible through Kirkenes (daily flights via Tromsø to Oslo). This is the western-most border of the Russian tundra and a truly amazing place to experience the arctic winter.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: KLM, SAS
Abisko is a great place to see aurora! There are two nice little ski resorts nearby. Family-friendly Björkliden is about 10 km from Abisko, and Riksgränsen (my favourite of the two) is about 35 km away - but Riksgränsen most likely won't be open in December. Abisko itself is great for cross-country skiing.
Some more info about aurora in Abisko: http://www.auroraskystation.se/
http://www.abisko.nu/vinter/englishpages/index.asp

If you decide to go to Abisko you can stop in Kiruna on the way (100 km from Abisko) and visit the Ice Hotel in the village Jukkasjärvi. This is another good spot to see aurora since Jukkasjärvi generally has many clear and cold - very cold! - vinter days.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
I saw that, I guess it would be pretty cool to take a flight to Svalbard just to say I went to Svalbard.

I've booked 4 nights in Tromso, including NYE. Hopefully nature will put on its own fireworks!
Where are you planning to stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.