Search

Radisson blu waterfront versus strand stockholm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Radisson blu waterfront versus strand stockholm

Just looking at the two Radisson properties in Stockholm and trying to decided between the waterfront and strand. Wanted to see what the thoughts were here on FT.
Cheers
Howie
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Just looking at the two Radisson properties in Stockholm and trying to decided between the waterfront and strand. Wanted to see what the thoughts were here on FT.
Cheers
Howie
The Strand is in a more traditional neighborhood for higher-end tourism. It's ok for a Radisson property and I use it myself as it's a more traditional property than the other Radissons in the area.

The only reason I book the Radisson Waterfront is because it has better availability for special rates and award redemption, but I have yet to stay there myself when I'm getting a comparable property for under $45/night (courtesy of points) or can get the Strand in the same price range as the Waterfront property.

The Strand is right across from water too, and some of the rooms have a view I appreciate more so.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Strand is in a more traditional neighborhood for higher-end tourism. It's ok for a Radisson property and I use it myself as it's a more traditional property than the other Radissons in the area.

The only reason I book the Radisson Waterfront is because it has better availability for special rates and award redemption, but I have yet to stay there myself when I'm getting a comparable property for under $45/night (courtesy of points) or can get the Strand in the same price range as the Waterfront property.

The Strand is right across from water too, and some of the rooms have a view I appreciate more so.
Thanks I went for the Strand.
Cheers
Howie
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Thanks I went for the Strand.
Cheers
Howie
The Radisson Strand is further away from a subway stop (and the central train station and main bus terminal) than the Waterfront property, but when the weather is nice, you'll definitely appreciate the location of the Strand more than the location of the Waterfront once you get your bearings in the area.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:28 pm

I'm booking an award stay for two at the Radisson Blu Strand for the Standard Room. Are there any specific room requests I should make to increase the chances of a water view? I've read that the single rooms face the courtyard and the standard room size looks quite small at 16 sq meters. Do the standard rooms also face the courtyard?

Would I be better off switching to the Waterfront if the standard room at the Strand is just one tiny step above the single?

Have Club Carlson Gold status.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:16 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by freecia
I'm booking an award stay for two at the Radisson Blu Strand for the Standard Room. Are there any specific room requests I should make to increase the chances of a water view? I've read that the single rooms face the courtyard and the standard room size looks quite small at 16 sq meters. Do the standard rooms also face the courtyard?

Would I be better off switching to the Waterfront if the standard room at the Strand is just one tiny step above the single?

Have Club Carlson Gold status.

Thanks!
How did they treat a Gold member if you stayed there?
Anyone else?
Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:07 pm

My stay isn't until September so would appreciate input from others.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:07 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Rdisson Blu Waterfront Stockholm

Anybody know the price for buffet breakfast here?

How's recent treatment of Golds?

Thank you.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The surroundings are certainly much nicer at the Strand, and with some luck you might have a view more stunning than the best at Waterfront
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:23 am

Thanks for the advice!

Just had a good two night stay at the Radisson Strand. Used points to book a standard room and was upgraded to a Superior Waterfront view before I asked if it was possible to get a waterfront view. Have Club Carlson gold status so that might have helped?

No welcome amenity or letter but didn't really expect one. Didn't partake in the breakfast as it isn't included in the award rate and I'd seen enough buffets in the prior week. The beds were very comfortable and the room had a hot water boiler for making tea or coffee. Tea bags and instant coffee packets were in the room. The room also had a nice marble bathroom with a bath tub.

Location was excellent for touring about and visiting museums. The neighborhood had charm. Head across the park for a 7-11 if you want snacks. Very convenient walking distance to a lot of the tourist attractions and convenient bus lines if you're tired of walking. Good bakery a few blocks up - Riddarbageriet bakery Riddargatan 15 - 11457 STOCKHOLM.

Last edited by freecia; Sep 26, 2012 at 7:28 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:30 pm

When arriving at Central Station on Arlanda Expresss at around midnight, any tips on walking to the Waterfront entrance?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Colin
When arriving at Central Station on Arlanda Expresss at around midnight, any tips on walking to the Waterfront entrance?
Heavy or light luggage? The key is to get to the level above the level on where the Arlanda Express train stops at the Central Station.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:55 pm

light luggage. my read from loyalty traveler blog is to keep going up to the top level and then go west a block or so. any additional walking tips?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: Various
It really is very close so the trick is to find the correct exit from the Central station. Sit near the front end of the Arlanda Express. When the train arrives at the Central station find the escalators to street level and walk in the direction of track 19. The exit there is the one you see via this link.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.33044...7i13312!8i6656

You can of course exit through another door at street level (where the escalators end up) and turn left. You will end up in the same place.

There is another exit even closer to Radisson but I'm not sure how to walk inside the Central station to find it. It may be obvious once there. If you see an exit to the left inside the central station when walking towards track 19 then that's the best one.

Last edited by Fredrik74; Aug 17, 2016 at 11:06 pm
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:47 am
Suspended

Technically, the Arlanda Express arrives into Central Station on a street level. It's just that the hotel is accessible more easily by going up stairs or escalators since the hotel entrance is on a higher street level than the one that has the Arlanda Expeess train doors.

One way to do it involves going into the central station main building (beyond the revolving doors) and then taking the escalator up to where the Flygbussen goes and then exit from up there. But that wasn't the shortest way IIRC, even as it was one of the ways to avoid having to carry heavy luggage up stairs.

When coming off Arlanda Express in the city and heading toward the nearest taxi stand to the train, there is a board with a sign with the name of nearby hotels and the way there and the distance. This hotel is listed on that sign. But people get confused unless they get up to the raised street level above the Arlanda Express track street level.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 18, 2016 at 1:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.