Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

HEL-StPete Ferry Tix: How far in advance to purchase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG

I'm planning to take the St. Peter's line ferry from Helsinki to St. Petersburg
in August. How far in advance should I buy my tickets? I'm planning to get a cabin that would hold 3 people. Do they sell out typically?
Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Any reason you're not taking the train?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Any reason you're not taking the train?
Probably the biggest reason for taking the ferry is that we get to visit Russia without a visa
for 3 days. Apparently that ability is not yet extended to train passengers:
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/russ...a-free-travel/

Last edited by flyernick; Apr 18, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Visa free entry is actually the ONLY reason. Reports about the ferry are not too shiny, to say the least, and you're forced to take them both ways if you want the visa free scheme. (you CANNOT fly out or take the train out!) So 2 nights on the ferry to have 3 days on land - might be worth to get the visa, take the train (3 hrs or so) and spend as much time as you want.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
There's no point in doing the ferry trip. You will get your visa arranged easily and it's still cheaper with the Allegro express train. Of course, if you like a cruise, then go ahead, but I'm sure you will pity yourself.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rasbelin
There's no point in doing the ferry trip. You will get your visa arranged easily and it's still cheaper with the Allegro express train. Of course, if you like a cruise, then go ahead, but I'm sure you will pity yourself.
Thanks all for the advice. Here's how the cost works out. Since there are 3 of us, it looks like I can book an A4 cabin for 430 euros all in (including 25 euro required "city tour" (bus ride) to meet the visa-free terms.
Seat61.com says the train starts at 29 euro pp one way, so 174 euros total.
+ $160*3 for Visas. And with the cruise we don't have to pay for 2 nights hotel, although I'm sure we'd have a more comfortable night in a hotel. So that's how the cost works out: Ferry= $US 488. Train+Visa =$677 + 2 hotel nights.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by flyernick
Thanks all for the advice. Here's how the cost works out. Since there are 3 of us, it looks like I can book an A4 cabin for 430 euros all in (including 25 euro required "city tour" (bus ride) to meet the visa-free terms.
+ $160*3 for Visas. And with the cruise we don't have to pay for 2 nights hotel, although I'm sure we'd have a more comfortable night in a hotel. So that's how the cost works out: Ferry= $US 488. Train+Visa =$677 + 2 hotel nights.
Let me check: are you planning to only spend the one day in St. Petersburg or is there an option to stay onboard while the boat is in the harbor? I thought the boats leave back in the evening the same day. At least that was the case with my cruise some years back.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Let me check: are you planning to only spend the one day in St. Petersburg or is there an option to stay onboard while the boat is in the harbor? I thought the boats leave back in the evening the same day. At least that was the case with my cruise some years back.
No, we were planning on staying a couple nights in a hotel St. Petersburg.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:09 pm

No, we were planning on staying a couple nights in a hotel St. Petersburg.
Ok, I see, you are saving two nights of accommodation, not all accommodation.

Well, during the weekend you can get a four star hotel room incl. breakfast for about $75, I think.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:58 pm

Allegro for three pax would be 294€ return, depending on the day and departures. You can buy tickets 60 days in advance and there won't be an issue of availability. A true FT'er of course chooses to travel 1st for 530,43€. Sorry, no rail mileage to collect!

I didn't know you 'Muricans have more expensive visas. Well, figured it out now by looking at the pricelist. We Finns pay 35 € plus the handling surcharge for one or double entry visas, per applicant. So yes, the cost of your visas ruins it. However you'd travel much more comfortable by train. Also accomodation is better priced in a hotel, thanks to the currency rates and the ruble still being pretty weak. Overall I do see why you prefer the ferry cruise. Just don't expect anything fancy onboard - it's far from HAL.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:07 pm

Forgot to mention that the train tickets start at 39€, not 29€. You can buy tickets online in English from the Finnish railways (VR), pay with AMEX, among others, and print the tickets yourself.

Just one more detail. Not that it would be a big issue compared to the ferry, but at least as future reference. Immigration (passport and visa control) starts on board the train after departure and is done en route, before the border crossing in both directions.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I am doing the St Peter line from HEL in 2 weeks. I will do a same day turn around in St Petersburg (a full day tour in town). Does anyone know if I can leave my luggage onboard?

Thanks.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:38 pm

You can leave your luggage in your cabin of course.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:15 am

I did the ferry crossing last November. Spent the whole time sleeping in the cabin. It only cost me €152 both ways, so really good value.

For summer, hotel prices in stp will probably be high. Book well in advance if you can.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by fledglingraptormoon
I did the ferry crossing last November. Spent the whole time sleeping in the cabin. It only cost me €152 both ways, so really good value.
Sounds like you booked a "ferry hotel" for sleep of 152€ instead of a hotel in Helsinki, not a good value IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.