Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

Host kicked us out of Airbnb - Airbnb won't discuss refunds after checkin!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Host kicked us out of Airbnb - Airbnb won't discuss refunds after checkin!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Question Host kicked us out of Airbnb - Airbnb won't discuss refunds after checkin!

We paid for 3 nights on a houseboat with breakfast included. The first night was fine and breakfast the next morning was good. The host warned us that weather was going to be bad and he may need to have us stay elsewhere in that event. Night 2 he put us in a friend's place nearby. It was a place to stay but was not what we had paid for.. But we understood - the weather was bad. We were also a bit annoyed that we now had nothing for breakfast because the host had not left anything and the friend was simply letting us stay in an extra house on his property. The next day the weather was great and we waited to be picked up to go back to the houseboat. By about 1:30pm we asked the friend to call to see when we would be picked up. We almost immediately received a message from the host with a picture of his swollen hand and a message saying he had been stung by a bee so he would be unable to properly host us for the 3rd night. So now, instead of three nights on a houseboat with breakfast we had one.

ur host felt it was okay to substitute a stay at a substandard nearby place with dim lights, no food and lots of mosquitos. His friend kindly drove us to the one nearby store for food - but it basically only had canned goods. Our breakfast day #2 consisted of canned corn. Oh - and while driving us the friend was finishing his beer. Finding another night with mosquitos, no food, etc. unacceptable, we decamped to the one nearby hotel -- which the houseboat was right in front of. We managed some swimming and snorkling and enjoyed the remainder of our time in the area.

As soon as we left the property, we brought the above up with our host who offered us about 1/2 the cost of 1 night as compensation. We wanted the equivalent of 1.5 nights. The host refused and abruptly ended any discussion claiming all sorts of things unrelated to his own injury (like our swimming abilities) were to blame for his not hosting us as planned. We escalated to Airbnb but they responded by telling us that they were not able to resolve any issues that occurred more than 24hrs after our check-in. Has anyone else run into this sort of situation? I'm really shocked that they would completely abandon their customer like that.

We've currently got a case open with our credit card company. Hopefully that gets us properly compensated. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 11:20 am

Sorry for such a crazy experience.

I would try airbnb again. Don't give too long and complex a story when you explain. Simply state that you were not provided the accommodation promised after the first 24 hours. You got what you paid for for the one night, you did not get it the next two nights.

I do think as an impartial third party, one night's refund is fair. But anyway explain your case, maybe push for 2 nights and settle for 1.5 or 1.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks for the suggestion! We have had tw rounds with Airbnb. We were pretty succinct in what we stated. Both times, as soon as it became clear to them that this was something that happened after check-in they basically told us to go away. If someone has contact information for a part of Airbnb where a representative will actually care about what happened after check-in, I'd love to have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.