Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip out of NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:20 am

Woodloch Pines is about 1 1/2 hours away. It's a very nice property that would meet your criteria I think.

Check it out.

Bobette
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vSFU
I'd be very grateful for your thoughts. I'm looking for recommendations for places to go for a weekend within 2-3 hours drive from Manhattan. Ideally the hotel should be very comfortable, luxurious, pool (not essential), possibly fairly modern. It would be great if the location had places to go out for walks, short hikes, some shops, nice places to eat - basically, 4 adults (relatively new to NYC) looking to get out the city and chill for the weekend
Do you prefer to go to the mountains? By a lake? By the ocean? What's the budget per night per person?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Originally Posted by Analise
Do you prefer to go to the mountains? By a lake? By the ocean? What's the budget per night per person?
Mountain, lake, ocean all good - up to $500 per room per night
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by vSFU
Mountain, lake, ocean all good - up to $500 per room per night
Now that's a generous budget. Ok....

Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa -- Lake Placid, NY http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/ Lake Placid is a wonderful retreat but about a 4 hour drive.

Gurney's Inn, Montauk, LI. http://www.gurneysinn.com/ Most lavish resort on the eastern tip of Long Island. Do not drive there; take the train to Montauk. The sea and sand are perfect.

Frankly, if I were you, and I really wanted to escape, I'd go to Maine but that drive will take more than 3 hours. Typically, it takes around 4 1/2-5 hours to get to Portland. I'd recommend spots in southern Maine so we're talking about 4 1/2 hours.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise
Now that's a generous budget. Ok....

Gurney's Inn, Montauk, LI. http://www.gurneysinn.com/ Most lavish resort on the eastern tip of Long Island. Do not drive there; take the train to Montauk. The sea and sand are perfect.
Hasn't Gurney's been getting some bad blog lately on Trip BadAdvisor, or am I thinking of some place else?

For $500 a night I would look into this place in Dutchess County called Mansakenning Carriage House which I heard is quite nice although I've never been there.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:52 am

I'm still voting for the Berkshires! At $500 a night you can stay at the Cranwell Inn or Canyon Ranch Spa. Although at the spa you would probably have to exercise and eat healthy (blahhh). Better you should stay at the Cranwell Inn and eat at the "Chocolate Springs Cafe" in Lenox. Also don't forget to hear some great music under the stars at Tanglewood and have "Guidos Fresh Marketplace" pack you a gourmet picnic supper to eat.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Hasn't Gurney's been getting some bad blog lately on Trip BadAdvisor, or am I thinking of some place else?

For $500 a night I would look into this place in Dutchess County called Mansakenning Carriage House which I heard is quite nice although I've never been there.
Has it? I take those blogs with a grain of salt. I just know that its location is divine and it's a pretty place to be. They're supposed to be known for its exquisite service. But if the majority of contributers to that blog are unhappy, that indeed is something of which to be very wary.

For me, personally, the best place to be on the ocean is in Maine but that's just me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.