Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi diversion from LGA to Manhattan?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by swag
About a year ago I was working around W 25th & 11th. I'd always tell the cabbie at LGA the intersection (I think asking for an intersection instead of an address makes you sound more like a local) and said "take the tunnel", and never had any problems.

But heading back to LGA from there, I always told them to take the tunnel and often got push back from them wanting to take the Triboro. Sometimes I fought them, sometimes not.
I live at 24th and 6th and have never once had an issue with a cabbie trying to take me over the Triboro instead of the tunnel.

I once did have a cabbie take me from LGA to Williamsburg via the LIE, when I specifically instructed him to take the BQE (the only route that makes sense, unless you avoid the highways altogether). I filed a complaint with the TLC and got a refund in the mail! (This was pre-311. If you have a problem with a cab now, make sure to get a receipt and call 311 from your cellphone or any phone while in NYC.)
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
I once did have a cabbie take me from LGA to Williamsburg via the LIE, when I specifically instructed him to take the BQE (the only route that makes sense, unless you avoid the highways altogether). I filed a complaint with the TLC and got a refund in the mail! (This was pre-311. If you have a problem with a cab now, make sure to get a receipt and call 311 from your cellphone or any phone while in NYC.)
Wow! I'm impressed. It never occured to me that filing a complaint would reap such a result. I guess you kept your receipt?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
Wow! I'm impressed. It never occured to me that filing a complaint would reap such a result. I guess you kept your receipt?
Yes. Notwithstanding some mild scaremongering on this thread, NYC actually has some of the best and best regulated cabs in the world. I am more comfortable, and feel less likely to be ripped off, in a NYC cab than virtually anywhere else. And if you do have a problem, the TLC (Taxi & Limousine Commission) is very good about protecting passengers and resolving complaints.

Ever take a cab in Boston? It's like pulling teeth to try to get them to turn on the AC, regardless of the weather. And I can't tell you how many times they've tried to rip me off. Fortunately, I know the right routes in Boston too, but tourists beware!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Since I live uptown East Side I never think of going any way to any Long Island Airport other than the Triboro whether I'm on a flat fare or the meter is ticking.

Blumie is correct about no longer having any real problems with NY cabs except when you are driving amongst a bunch of them and they are cruising, looking for fares. Nowadays, it helps if you can speak a little French or Russian and, I imagine, some Arabic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.