Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Taxi diversion from LGA to Manhattan?

Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Has this happened to anyone else? On my last three trips home from LGA -- I live on the east side of Union Square in Manhattan -- cab drivers insisted on taking the Triborough Bridge instead of the Midtown Tunnel. Construction on the BQE, they insisted, would slow us down. Of course, the Triborough makes for a long, slow schlep downtown on the FDR. After acceding once, and paying about $10 more than usual, I forced them to take the Midtown Tunnel -- and zoomed home with a very reasonable $30 fare, including toll and tip.

Curious if anyone else has faced the same "suggestion" from cab drivers.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Isn't that a textbook example of what they call a "New York shortcut" ?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I always tell them to use the 59th Street Bridge - and reward them with an extra-nice tip if they take the best route
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:59 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue this discussion in the FT New York City Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does it happen? Yes. Do you have to let it? No.

As a passenger you are entitled to direct the route taken. Every time I've received push-back I just repeat my instructions and make it clear to them that I am choosing the route.

I have, on occasion, also let the driver know that I actually live here rather that just being a tourist. That also helps on occasion.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Steve M
Isn't that a textbook example of what they call a "New York shortcut" ?
What's a "Houston Shortcut," when they put a gun to your head?

Originally Posted by sbm12
Does it happen? Yes. Do you have to let it? No.

As a passenger you are entitled to direct the route taken. Every time I've received push-back I just repeat my instructions and make it clear to them that I am choosing the route.
This advice should be in a sticky.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Curious if anyone else has faced the same "suggestion" from cab drivers.
I often take a cab from Midtown to LGA. They always want to take the bridge "It'll be faster lady!", I nicely tell them "I am ok with the tunnel, once we are thru, we will be fine". I often get alot of hemming and hawing, but once we are get to the tunnel, we are move right along.
I have actually have had a couple of cab drivers tell me, "gee, I did not expect that" Whatever, If I am paying I can decide. If I am wrong, then me bad.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
From my place in the 20's on 2nd, it is clear that the tunnel is the quickest route to/from LGA. Unfortunately, once in a while the combination of me forgetting to tell the driver when I get in the car, them trying to take advantage, and me not paying a attention ends up with me going toward the bridge. The few occurrences where this has happened, by the time I realize what's going on, turning back toward the tunnel would end up costing even more. In cases like this, I just screw them on the tip. And I feel fine about that.

Like you, exmontrealer, I've just gotten into the habit of telling them to take the tunnel. Sometimes they put up a bit of a fight but they always end up doing it.

A bit OT - one time a car service I use (relatively high end Town Car - about $100 NYC - LGA) took all sorts of back roads from LGA to my place. I had actually fallen asleep and when I woke up we were in the middle of Queens and ended up going over the 59th St. Bridge. When I started yelling at the guy he said that it was quicker. I think he was doing this to avoid paying the Midtown Tunnel toll (since the service was prepaid including tolls/tip). Took about 50% longer, just another scam to be aware of.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Actually, depending on where you're going and time of day, the 59th St bridge might be faster.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'll add my vote for the 59th St bridge as well....just make sure the driver drives the lower level.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As a rule I take a car service to/from LGA so I don't have to deal with this sort of thing. The cost is not all that much different. If I have enough time I will at times do Super Shuttle but you need to know some of the highjinks they like to play (like picking you up for JFK and making you first go to LGA to drop off other paxs or trying to put 13 paxs in an 11 pax van). And only take Super Shuttle to the airport never from the airport.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
As a rule I take a car service to/from LGA so I don't have to deal with this sort of thing. The cost is not all that much different. If I have enough time I will at times do Super Shuttle but you need to know some of the highjinks they like to play (like picking you up for JFK and making you first go to LGA to drop off other paxs or trying to put 13 paxs in an 11 pax van). And only take Super Shuttle to the airport never from the airport.
I'll just take a cab or public transport. The one time I called them, they wanted to pick me up three hours before the flight (it's a 30-40 minute cab ride or 1 hr max on public transport).
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:00 am

Slightly OT: LGA to NY Hilton (W53/6th) at 10:00am on a Weds morning in September, would you take the 59th St Bridge?

4 pax (on vacation) with luggage, which car service would you use?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Corpt
Slightly OT: LGA to NY Hilton (W53/6th) at 10:00am on a Weds morning in September, would you take the 59th St Bridge?

4 pax (on vacation) with luggage, which car service would you use?
You can try Carmel or Dial 777s, 1-212-666-6666 and 1-212-777-7777, respectively. Have used both with no real problems. Once you collect your luggage call and they will have a car in the middle aisle in about 15 minutues. Yes, would take the 59st bridge (Queensboro) for this location.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
About a year ago I was working around W 25th & 11th. I'd always tell the cabbie at LGA the intersection (I think asking for an intersection instead of an address makes you sound more like a local) and said "take the tunnel", and never had any problems.

But heading back to LGA from there, I always told them to take the tunnel and often got push back from them wanting to take the Triboro. Sometimes I fought them, sometimes not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.