Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Recommendations For Middle of the Night Activities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations For Middle of the Night Activities?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Hoc
They're not. I went there last night because the show at the Blue Note ended at 2:47 am, so Katz's was already closed. Second Avenue Deli closes at midnight on weeknights and 4 am on weekends.
What?

I've been there past midnight numerous times and as for the 4:00 A.M. thing, I haven't heard that.

My first reaction is that this might have something to do with today being the first day of the Jewish holiday of Shavuot.

On the other hand, would you tell us the address where you went?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:47 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
On the other hand, would you tell us the address where you went?
It was on something like 33rd St. between Lexington and 3rd. Big overhang saying "2nd Avenue Deli" on it. Also that name printed on my credit card charge slip, so I'm sure I was in the right place.

When I sat down at about 3:15 am, the waiter called to the counter, "is there enough time?" and then proceeded to serve me. Free slaw on the table. I mentioned to the waiter that I thought they were open 24 hours, but he said, "No. We close at midnight on weeknights and at 4 am on weekends. A long time ago, we used to be open 24 hours, but not anymore."

Different location than the one I went to back when they were actually on 2nd Avenue, but it was the same overly salty pastrami and overly salty pickles, so I'm pretty much writing them off at this point.

I think that next time I want to eat after 3 am, it's off to Wo Hop's.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:56 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
BTW, on this last trip, there were no showers at LGA, so I stood by on the earlier flight to ORD (originally scheduled to leave at 6:55 am, arrive in ORD at 8:25 am, then connect to a flight to SNA at 9:30 am). I left LGA at 6 am, arrived in ORD at 7:25, then showered and changed in the ORD Admiral's Club in plenty of time to make my 9:30 flight to SNA and sleep the whole way home.

My final trip is this Wednesday night. I'm not due to arrive until 10:50 pm or so, and I don't really know of anything good in the entertainment arena that night. So, I might go to Cafe Wha? or the Fat Black Pussycat until around 2:30 am or so, then go work out (my second free annual workout) at Crunch Fitness again, then off to the flight. Perhaps some pizza in the Village before Cafe Wha? or the FBPC, or even up to Carnegie Deli first, so I can digest before working out. I figure if I am out of the club at 2:30 am, and to Crunch by 3 am, I will be out of there and showered by about 4:30 and will make it back to JFK by around 5:30 or 6.

I got an unlimited one-week metrocard that I first used last Thursday night, so if I'm right, it will work until 3 am this Thursday night. I also got a prepaid metrocard with the 15% discount that I have been using on the Airtrain, and should be used up on my last subway ride back to the airport, plus the Airtrain to the terminal.

Decent planning all in, making my EXP with the double miles as of this trip. Thanks all for your help.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrishBOS
There are several spas open 24 hrs.
quality ones?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
quality ones?
I think it depends on what kind of quality you are looking for 24hr fitness/NYSC/Crunch all have 24 hr locations
Cheers
Howie
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I think it depends on what kind of quality you are looking for 24hr fitness/NYSC/Crunch all have 24 hr locations
Cheers
Howie
TrishBOS said spas..
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:26 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
TrishBOS said spas..
When I looked, the only 24-hour spas were women only.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:28 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Cheers
Howie
24 Hour Fitness will not have a location in Manhattan until later this month. Also, NYSC and some of the other fitness centers, while claiming to be 24 hours, are only 24 hours from Monday through Friday, and then close fairly early on weekends. Crunch was the only true 24 hour fitness facility I found currently open in Manhattan.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Hoc
It was on something like 33rd St. between Lexington and 3rd. Big overhang saying "2nd Avenue Deli" on it. Also that name printed on my credit card charge slip, so I'm sure I was in the right place.

When I sat down at about 3:15 am, the waiter called to the counter, "is there enough time?" and then proceeded to serve me. Free slaw on the table. I mentioned to the waiter that I thought they were open 24 hours, but he said, "No. We close at midnight on weeknights and at 4 am on weekends. A long time ago, we used to be open 24 hours, but not anymore."

Different location than the one I went to back when they were actually on 2nd Avenue, but it was the same overly salty pastrami and overly salty pickles, so I'm pretty much writing them off at this point.

I think that next time I want to eat after 3 am, it's off to Wo Hop's.

This place, then?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:57 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
This place, then?
Yeah, that's the place.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hoc
My final trip is this Wednesday night. I'm not due to arrive until 10:50 pm or so, and I don't really know of anything good in the entertainment arena that night. So, I might go to Cafe Wha? or the Fat Black Pussycat until around 2:30 am or so, then go work out (my second free annual workout) at Crunch Fitness again, then off to the flight. Perhaps some pizza in the Village before Cafe Wha? or the FBPC, or even up to Carnegie Deli first, so I can digest before working out. I figure if I am out of the club at 2:30 am, and to Crunch by 3 am, I will be out of there and showered by about 4:30 and will make it back to JFK by around 5:30 or 6.
If you're in the Village and up for diner food with some Ukrainian dishes thrown in, Veselka (2nd Ave. and 9th St.) should be open 24 hours. Relatively convenient to the Lafayette branch of Crunch, if that's where you're going.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:44 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calcifer
If you're in the Village and up for diner food with some Ukrainian dishes thrown in, Veselka (2nd Ave. and 9th St.) should be open 24 hours. Relatively convenient to the Lafayette branch of Crunch, if that's where you're going.
I did go to the Lafayette branch of Crunch, but I stood by and got onto an earlier flight, so made it into the city and made my way to Katz's (got there at 10:27, just before they called take out). I had to get some pastrami and pickles from there to bring back to California under an alternate decree of death from my girlfriend if I didn't.

So, I rode the middle seat all the way (slept most of the way) for 6 hours, just for Katz's. Then walked around the village (to walk off that sandwich I wolfed down in 15 minutes), and did get into the Village Underground. Band there was not particularly good. Mostly loud, and off-key singing (they spent more time doing bad imitations of bad songs of which they were making fun, than actually playing good songs). But I was there, so I decided to wait it out. At 2 am I headed off to Crunch, made it by three, worked out and showered, and was back at JFK by 5:20 am. This time the flight left on time, but again no upgrade. So I slept sitting up all the way home.

Thanks all for your help on this. Now I know that I can, in fact, overnight in New York without a room, and it might be something I do just for fun if the fares ever dip that low again (got some tickets as low as $186 with the fare discrepancy coupons), perhaps with a friend.

But there are some place open only during the day that I hated to miss. So, that once a year one-week trip to Manhattan will remain a part of my regular itinerary.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Hoc

Sorry to hear the pastrami is no longer good. Haven't been to 2nd avenue since they closed. Too bad for the sandwiches.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA G
(reviving this thread...)

Sarge's Deli in Murray Hill is a great late-night place. The area feels pretty safe and they're open 24/7. The pastrami sandwich is awesome. Seats are comfortable, TVs were playing college basketball and the waitress was nice.

H&H Bagels is also 24/7... but they don't bake anything fresh between 2am and 6am (per the lady working there) and there's no seating. The "baker" was sitting in the back playing with his cellphone when I got there just after 3am. I got 3 cold and tiny bagels for $1.40/ea. Waste of money and time -- avoid it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.