Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Recommendations For Middle of the Night Activities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations For Middle of the Night Activities?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 10:44 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
What Saturday will you be here? I can let you know about some afterhours shows and things but I need the date.
June 7. Wednesday will be June 4.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hoc
They told me that they closed at 11 pm on Wednesday and 3 am on Saturday. That's wrong?
I went to their website to get that information. Now if you were told otherwise, I tend to think that you got the updated information and perhaps they were slow to update their website.

Here's another idea for you which I included in your thread about transportation to LGA. If you like pool, this place is a lot of fun and indeed is open until 4am. http://www.slate-ny.com/
Old May 15, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Oh to soon to say what will be going on then. I will send you a PM on June 6th.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:00 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks to both of you. I love it when a plan comes together.
Old May 15, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Hoc
I don't think that I could justify there and Katz's. . .
Absolutely. We don't want you to start another thread "Best E.R. in Manhattan."

Originally Posted by Hoc
Pastrami is always a personal taste. . .but I found Second Avenue's pastrami and other food to be too salty, anyway.
I don't know. Both my friend and I think it doesn't have enough pepper. Then again, I was a big fan of the Roumanian Pastrami at the late Bernstein's On Essex Street.

Originally Posted by Hoc
Hmm, might go there for cheesecake at 3 am. . . .
The best cheesecake in New York is at Junior's in Brooklyn. I am not sure, though, how comfortable I am with sending you there late at night.
Old May 15, 2008, 4:52 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
The best cheesecake in New York is at Junior's in Brooklyn.
Hmm, the one in Times Square is open until midnight on Wednesday. If I get to and finish with Katz's early enough, there might be time to go there before the 11 pm show of Keely Smith at Birdland. Naaw. Not likely to make it, so maybe I'll have to save Junior's for another trip. In the general vicinity of Times Square, I gave up on Lindy's years ago, Stage Deli is horrible, Ben Ash looks better than it tastes, and Carnegie Deli is only passable.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Absolutely. We don't want you to start another thread "Best E.R. in Manhattan."
Best post on this thread!

Originally Posted by Hoc
Hmm, the one in Times Square is open until midnight on Wednesday. If I get to and finish with Katz's early enough, there might be time to go there before the 11 pm show of Keely Smith at Birdland. Naaw. Not likely to make it, so maybe I'll have to save Junior's for another trip.
I concur. I can't imagine going out for cheesecake after a meal at Katz's.
Old May 16, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Hoc:

"Fat Cat" !== "Fat Black Pussycat"... they're two different bars. I've been to both, the former is more low-key locals scene, the latter is more "upscale" i.e. expensive, professional players, more tourists...

Katz's... don't know about the "trick", but I always get meat to eat while they slice, and I didn't even know there was a way to order other than by standing in line for a carver. It's all fresh-out-of-the-steamer, there is no pre-sliced meat there.

East Village at night - The furthest I've wandered has been Avenue D (you won't be anywhere near that far), but I've never felt unsafe at any hour anywhere in Manhattan.

Faicco's - Murray's Cheese (next door) also has great sopressata, you might check if their hours are better.
Old May 16, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise
Best post on this thread!
Thanks!

Hey, maybe Hoc is interested in getting married on his second MR, since we have all the information from the other thread and he wouldn't need the waiver if he gets the license on his first one.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
The best cheesecake in New York is at Junior's in Brooklyn. I am not sure, though, how comfortable I am with sending you there late at night.
Not a horrible area, but I wouldn't venture there alone at 3am, either. And, yes, this is the best cheesecake, followed closely by the place across from VCP on Broadway in Riverdale, the name of which is escaping me right now.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:46 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Thanks!

Hey, maybe Hoc is interested in getting married on his second MR, since we have all the information from the other thread and he wouldn't need the waiver if he gets the license on his first one.
Naaw, she's staying home, watching the dogs and planning on reaping the benefits of my EXP status when we do travel together.
Old May 20, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
There are several spas open 24 hrs.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:25 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Oh to soon to say what will be going on then. I will send you a PM on June 6th.
Just thought I'd check on this, since I'm leaving first thing in the morning tomorrow. But I'll be able to check my pms at the Admiral's Club in SFO on the way out there. . . .

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Otherwise, It's probably the Blue Note until about 1:30 am, then Katz's, then wandering aimlessly (maybe some Greenwich Village people watching around McDougall/Bleeker street) until about 4 or 5 am, when I'm back off to the airport.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:44 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The E will run local in Queens but from midtown should still only be about 45 minutes or so.
Thanks. I tried the E Train for last night's run. Got on at about 4:20 am and made it to JFK at 5:40 am. Of course, the flight back was delayed, and I got no upgrade, but still slept virtually the entire 6 hours to SFO. We arrived an hour and a half late, so I missed my connection and had to wait at the airport for an additional 4 1/2 hours.

In the interim between the time I booked this trip and the time I traveled, my office set a meeting in Orange County at 1 pm (10 minutes after I was scheduled to arrive), and another one up in San Jose for Friday, for which they booked me on a 4:35 flight. When they rebooked my flight down to OC, I had them also rebook my flights back up to San Jose.

Participated in the 1 pm meeting by cell phone from the SFO Admiral's Club, Landed in OC at 5:30, wiped out. Ran to the car and got my luggage (and suit), ran back through OC Security, and flew back up to San Jose at 6 on the same flight on which I came down.

So, I was quite exhausted in San Jose last night, but I made it back in one piece. Now, it's back to SFO-JFK-LGA-ORD-SNA tomorrow morning for another all-nighter.

Yeah, I'm not insane. . . .
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:15 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Second Avenue Deli is open 24/7.
They're not. I went there last night because the show at the Blue Note ended at 2:47 am, so Katz's was already closed. Second Avenue Deli closes at midnight on weeknights and 4 am on weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.