Search

October in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
October in New York City

Mrs B has asked about rescheduling a trip through NYC from early July to early October.

I'd like your opinion of which week, if any, is best for October accommodationand events/activities.
It would be preferable to be around for any special events, in case I can write an article for a travel mag.

(Our last stay was in early Sept and it was pretty hot, though Autumn was on its way further north, so I expect it will not be cold, nor especially hot. I'd better check with you, first. )

Early October 2008:
  • What is your prediction of the general weather, relative availability/pricing of accommodation and the level of event activity in Manhattan and other NYC boroughs?
  • Will we be better off to schedule for a particular week (re. events) or is the first and second week of October much the same for a quick visit?
  • I'll check the MYC&Co calendar.

Thanks and I hope it is not too cold for you this week.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I don't think predicting the weather seven months in advance has much value, but that's just me.

We have two major league baseball teams and if either or both of them make the playoffs or the World Series, things can be very busy.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by BiziBB
[*]What is your prediction of the general weather
An excellent site to check historical weather, and one I use when planning international trips, is weatherunderground.com. This link to their weather planner will give you historical weather for many cities.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Mrs B has asked about rescheduling a trip through NYC from early July to early October.
She's brilliant. Who wants to endure a steamy summer voluntarily?

I'd like your opinion of which week, if any, is best for October accommodationand events/activities.
The weather? Last year we had an unusually hot October but who could have predicted that? The earlier in the month, the warmer the weather. Maybe an Indian Summer. The later the month, the cooler the weather and the more beautiful the foliage in Central Park. Activities? Special events? Well you can watch the Columbus Day Parade down 5th Avenue if you like.

Thanks and I hope it is not too cold for you this week.
It can never be too cold in New York. This is a great time of year right now.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Early October tends to have great weather. Warm tee or polo shirt days but cool nights. Other than a possible World Series and the Columbus Day Parade, nothing special going on. But as far as writing for a travel magazine would be an excellent time to head to Central Park.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Early October tends to have great weather. Warm tee or polo shirt days but cool nights. Other than a possible World Series and the Columbus Day Parade, nothing special going on. But as far as writing for a travel magazine would be an excellent time to head to Central Park.
Is there a special event that the squirrels are having in the park?

What about the Village halloween parade? I don't recall ever seeing any media attention to that event.

It would seem to me that someone writing for a travel mag could (or would know how to) easily ascertain the possible weather.
OP,,, how has the quest for a sponsor going? Does the sponsor have any event suggestions?

and based on your idea* (in another thread) of getting police to do DNA testing on a car break in, maybe you could try to find someone in ny whose car has been broken into and see if the NYPD would test for DNA. Would be a great comedy story maybe even a documentary.

This might sound dumb, but if you end up being contacted by police, ask if they can DNA test any items left in the car.

A crim who broke into our house did the same at anther nearby.
It appears the thief dropped a cigarette butt when escaping after being detected.

Police matched the DNA on the butt with a career crim, just back in custody.
He has been charged with break & enter and theft at our place and the second break in.

Check for anything inadvertenty left in the car!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
End of October can be 10 C. This time of year is 'Prime' season to watch the leaves change color. A trip up the Hudson on Metro North can be inspiring.

I can provide additional suggestions as to where to train it, if asked.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions and information. ^

We're likely to miss the Columbus Day Parade (Oct 13 this year) but the indications are otherwise good.

You've covered almost everything but if anyone is seeking more info, here is an October NYC trip planner. The Halloween parade gets a mention but is obviously too late for our early October stay.

So it's walking tour weather and dhammer's Hudson cruise is intriguing.
I notice the Levy's Unique NY (formerly 'Vintage NY'?) touris Brooklyn-based, but hopefully I can catch up with some FTer 'guides' with their own NY history!

Did you know about the chocolate tour?
Then there is the Luxury chocolate tour.
Charbonnel et Walker
Debauve & Gallais
La Maison du Chocolat
Pierre Marcolini
RichArt Design & Chocolat
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will check out the Deli threads in the forum...

That's a good idea on something to write about.
Which delis do you like from this Top 9 list? I suppose 2nd Ave Deli will be open in October? Same source... NYC: Best Delis
1. Katz's Delicatessen ^
205 East Houston Street

2. Carnegie Deli
854 7th Ave (55th Street)

3. Stage Deli
834 7th Ave (53rd/54th)

4. Artie’s Deli
Address: 2290 Broadway (82nd/83rd)

5. Ben's Delicatessen
Address: 209 W 38th St (7th Ave)

6. Sarge's Deli
548 Third Ave. (36th/37th)

7. Barney Greengrass
Address: 541 Amsterdam Avenue (86th St)

8. Junior's
386 Flatbush Avenue Extension at Dekalb Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11201
& Grand Central Location: Lower Level Dining Concourse

9. Pastrami Queen
1269 Lexington Avenue (85th St)
Having visited & enjoyed Katz's (love the redundant s!) I'd like to try one or two others. If we;re only around a couple of days, I could try to include two per day on the itinerary, more if possible.

One last thing: Have you gone to this steak house?
[Edit: I will check the Steak thread. ]
I was thinking Ben Benson's (just love the name...) and found this!
The Steakhouse at Monkey Bar (yep, love that name, too).
No more steak house!

Last edited by BiziBB; Mar 12, 2008 at 5:27 pm Reason: 'Found' & Lost the Steakhouse@ Monkey Bar, then found the FT NYC steak thread
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
[QUOTE=BiziBB;9400777]

I was thinking Ben Benson's (just love the name...) and found this!

QUOTE]

Don't bother. Try Sparks or Strip House instead.

Pastrami Queen, I think is closed. Do Carnegie. It won't disappoint.

FYI, Metro North is the railroad. The Hudson lines heads north, up the Hudson River.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I suppose 2nd Ave Deli will be open in October? Same source... NYC: Best Delis

Way out of date!

Read this post and the related thread.

Originally Posted by Landing Gear, 12/19/07
I am just back from a late night meal at the Second Avenue Deli. . .
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Way out of date!

Read this post and the related thread.
Thanks, Landing Gear, you and your NYC forum colleagues are a wonderful resource.

As long as the reopening was successful, I can be reasonably confident that it will not go bust this year... The economy and Wall Street won't stop people from eating there, right?
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Thanks, Landing Gear, you and your NYC forum colleagues are a wonderful resource.

As long as the reopening was successful, I can be reasonably confident that it will not go bust this year... The economy and Wall Street won't stop people from eating there, right?
while I am reasonably confident that the 2nd ave deli ( despite not being on 2nd ave) will be around in oct.. your logic is extremely flawed.

Successful reopenings mean nothing in NYC restaurants go out of business overnight.
What makes you think that there is a problem (in manhattan ) with the economy.. Manhattan is still and will always be very strong. It slow a bit but no real problem here.

SInce this forum is such a great resource I am sure you will give credit in this article.

I also have a hard time understanding a train ride up the hudson, to see leaves as having anything to do with nyc.

But maybe you can do some research and find the places that Gov Spitzer used for his activities.. Sort of like the other tours you mention.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am confident that people will continue to try this deli, as long as it delivers on its promise.

Some great food institutions fail here in Sydney too, so my comment was kind of hopeful that this place is good enough to justify trading on its reputation.

I appreciate your dry humour.
Explain the flaw in my logic, but take my comments in jest, as I agree it is possible for delis or other companies to fail for all sorts of reasons, often unrelated to their popularity or their offering. I believe the amount of publicity this deli gets will ensure it succeeds, as long as it is run well, which I imagine it is.

Just a minor rant about the economy - specifically the post-subprime credit crunch. Ouch!
Banks selling subprime products to other banks and the present credit crunch, makes NY financial houses and their 'Master of the Universe' very popular with mortgage holders and company directors, here.

Due credit to the people running the derivatives and subprime mortgage collateralisations business.

The credit crunch has seen billions of value wiped from worldwide sharemarkets, as certain industries with highly leveraged companies have seen some spectacular collapses.

While it may not have hurt the viability of NY delis, the impact of subprime credit crunch for me has been several interest rate rises above Reserve Bank increases here, to the effect of a few hundred dollars out of my pocket per month.

Don't believe the subprime-related credit crunch hasn't hurt anyone.

NYC may be untouched by the US recession but NYC banks' subprime-related credit crunch has affected wordwide availabiliy and pricing of credit, dramatically.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The economy and Wall Street won't stop people from eating there, right?
Right! Especially if one is from Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.