Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:24 am

Hey everyone just wanted to know if connection time is alright...

Arrive 5/28 (Wednesday) from NRT on ANA to JFK at 1045
Wanna see if I can make the 1350 flight out of LGA to YYZ on AA

Biggest concern isnt CBP since I have Canadian passport....just wondering how long the baggage wait times will be. I have 1 checked baggage and I'm flying economy

Would taking Airtrain/Subway/Bus be doable with the 3 hour connection?

Plan B would be to take the 1600 flight from LGA

Last edited by SMILY; Apr 2, 2014 at 11:29 am
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Is taking AA from JFK to YYZ not an option on this trip?

You should allow 60 minutes +/- for the AirTrain-subway-bus route from JFK to LGA. Whether that will be enough time will depend on when you exit Customs with your baggage, and what the baggage check-in deadline is on your LGA-YYZ flight.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:23 pm

I would like to use my expiring miles. Called Asia Miles and it doesnt seem theres any availability JFKYYZ only through LGA...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, HH
I have about 5 hrs to get from LGA to JFK on Wed (Jun 11th, if it makes a difference) - arrive LGA 9:00am and depart from JFK on, T1 on SU at 14:20.

4 people traveling - 2 adults and 2 kids. Planning to actually rent a car for the trip ($50 from Enterprise - advise on better rates appreciated). Since I don't have status on SkyTeam, I can't use a lounge, so planning to stop by somewhere for breakfast. This way I can minimize the time we need to spend at the airport (when I travel solo I am OK with this, but with 2 kids I would rather not).

Is this a decent idea, or should we just use shuttle and get to JFK directly from LGA?

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For a $50 rental car and no tolls on the way I'd rather be in control of my own destiny. Especially as the drive is short you probably won't have to put fuel in the car. I think you should make it okay, good luck ^
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Is that $50 all inclusive, or are taxes/airport fees extra? Many car-rental companies will automatically add a flat-rate fuel charge if you drive fewer than 75 miles, and do not produce a fuel receipt from a station near the return location. (I do not know if Enterprise subscribes to this policy or not.)

For probably not much more than the cost of a rental car, you could take a taxi from LGA to a diner on Queens Boulevard (like the Georgia, in Elmhurst, or the Flagship, in Briarwood), and then another taxi from the diner to JFK. You'd have the hassle of bringing your luggage into the diner with you, but you'd avoid the hassle of having to pick up and return a rental car at LGA/JFK. You probably would not have too much trouble finding a taxi on Queens Boulevard from the diner to JFK, but I imagine that the diner could call a local car service for you, if need be.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:41 pm

Thanks everybody for suggestions, will consider them.

$50 for the car is after all taxes/fees ($53 to be exact).

I will feel a bit easier with my own, car, I think, but that's not a bad idea.

More thoughts appreciated.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add $4.00 for one gallon of gas.

Just keep in mind that the car-rental lots are not within walking distance of the terminals at either airport. At JFK, you would either have to drop one adult, kids, and luggage at the terminal, and then go return the car and take the AirTrain back to the terminal, or the four of you (with your luggage) would have to ride the AirTrain from the car-rental stop (Federal Circle) to your terminal.

How much luggage will you be traveling with?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)Add $4.00 for one gallon of gas.

Just keep in mind that the car-rental lots are not within walking distance of the terminals at either airport.
How much luggage will you be traveling with?
I know about rental lots - we'll have some lugguage - after all, 4 people going for 2 weeks and my SO is tending to be a heavy packer - probably 2 suitcases and bunch of smaller things. I am planning on dropping her off at the terminal at JFK and then taking the car back (probably with the older kid).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976

Just keep in mind that the car-rental lots are not within walking distance of the terminals at either airport. At JFK, you would either have to drop one adult, kids, and luggage at the terminal, and then go return the car and take the AirTrain back to the terminal, or the four of you (with your luggage) would have to ride the AirTrain from the car-rental stop (Federal Circle) to your terminal.
Yes. This is a bad idea. Renting and returning cars are huge hassles at both LGA and JFK. Just take a taxi from one airport to the other. It'll be cheaper and MUCH easier, and will be door-to-door.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Yes. This is a bad idea. Renting and returning cars are huge hassles at both LGA and JFK. Just take a taxi from one airport to the other. It'll be cheaper and MUCH easier, and will be door-to-door.
Four people with bags though? Might be tough to get in one cab.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Four people with bags though? Might be tough to get in one cab.
Cabs have surprisingly large trunks. But still, two cabs will still be around $50 or slightly more, and still MUCH less hassle.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Cabs have surprisingly large trunks.
You must get fewer Ford Escape cabs than I do
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Artemk
Thanks everybody ... $50 for the car is after all taxes/fees ($53 to be exact).I will feel a bit easier with my own, car, I think, but that's not a bad idea. More thoughts appreciated.
Enterprise is off LGA on 23rd. Avenue, about 10 minutes ride + wait for their shuttle, so you need to factor in the extra time and wait for getting your car, unless you are enrolled as FT, etc. If you do that, there are several neighborhood diner on Astoria Blvd, a few blocks away & easy off-street free parking (lot) that would be just fine for breakfast - keep the suitcases in the trunk & take the electronics/valuables inside.

As such, I'm not sure about taking a taxi or car service (or, driving over in a rental car) over to Georgia's Diner on Queens Blvd. in nearby Elmhurst just for breakfast, IMO. Most diner in Queens served the basic coffee variety and eggs with meat & potatoes aren't much different, i.e. Buccaneer Diner on 93-01 Astoria Blvd. is open 24/7 and a very short ride from LGA for under $10 if you can fit everybody Plus luggage into one taxi/car service.

(FYI, we came back from a cruise last month & 4 of us fitted four 22" carryon plus 2 backpacks into those popular Ford Crown Victoria (ex-police fleet) yellow taxi for a quick ride home to Queens from Manhattan.)

From LGA or Astoria Blvd. to JFK, Carmel car service (Dial 7 being the other ones most often recommended & used here) quoting a fare for a mini-van of $43, no tolls for the trip - and online coupon code on their site should get you a $3 discount. This might be less hassle than dealing with a rental car & dropping them off first, go around JFK loop to return the rental (plus getting 2 or 2.5 gallons of gas used) and then (free) JFK AirTrain ride back to the terminal. Total costs w. tips under $65 and far less stressful with unpredictable NYC traffic, let the local drivers earned their living & get you to your destination quickly & safely (it will freed up 45 to 60+ minutes extra time for you to "enjoy" while on the ground between the 2 airports)

If all of you are traveling light with only 22" carryons - another possibility is to used the limited/express bus from LGA to Jackson Heights for NYC subway connections and Woodside for LIRR, connecting to Jamaica Stations for JFK AirTrain - but I'm doubtful that's what you have in mind. I can't think of any "decent" diners near either one of these neighborhood's stops for a regular hot breakfast - with suitcases in tow. From there, it's easy to haul or call for a local car service or find one of the more increasingly available licensed "green" taxi to take you to JFK after the meal.

Have a great Easter Sunday.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Have a great Easter Sunday.
Letitride3c, thanks a lot for details and even including restaurant recommendations.

I will reread your advise few more times. Might even go with your recommendations instead of a rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.