Reload this Page >

Train to JFK from Lower Manhattan may lose to 2nd Ave subway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Train to JFK from Lower Manhattan may lose to 2nd Ave subway

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by yankervitch
I actually have mixed feelings about this. Sure, the 2nd ave line is important, but I'd like to see money getting diverted actually going somewhere. Ground has been broken on the 2nd Ave line several times over the last 100 years and we've not seen anything emerge as a result.

[LHR has...]Probably the worst airport link in the world.

Serious money should be spent on getting our (NYC) airport links up to speed. They are atrocious - the MTA v. Tube debate aside, the fact remains that getting to any of the NYC airports using public transportation requires significant planning.

I believe HKG (and possibly SIN) still have the easiest and best transportation links from city centers to airports. HKG had a few legs up in 1998 (opening a new airport tends to invite significant infrastructure investment), but it's been 9 years since it opened, and significantly longer in terms of when the idea was first conceptualized ... why can't our city do something similar?
DCA is pretty good and ZRH is nothing short of excellent.
Old May 23, 2007, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by swag
Interesting. First I've heard of this.

But on the LIRR site, it seems the current target date is now 2013.
My mistake on the target date..
cheers
howie
Old May 23, 2007, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Yes, but with luggage?

EWR: Penn is an eternal madhouse, and adds to the general stress associated with going to the airport already. By bus, the Port Authority/Grand Central coaches are nice but still get caught up in traffic.

LGA: Rail would be very nice.

JFK: This should be the most convenient one for me, as I live right in front of a J/M/Z stop, and not far from the A/C/E. But it still takes about an hour and a half, the J/M/Z don't run weekends, and again, with luggage, the system could be friendlier.

In all three cases, I still budget on two hours to get to the airport from Manhattan. There's something wrong with that no matter how you look at it. I feel more than comfortable budgeting an hour to get to the airport from Hong Kong Central, any northern European city (albeit virtually all of these cities are much smaller, and have more reliable public transportation overall, than NYC), and a host of other places.

New York is the capital of the world, and I'm proud to be a citizen. But there are times when you wonder what happened to the infrastructure. "It's raining! Sorry, subway, LIRR, NJTransit, and Metro-North delays are to be expected..."
First off your EWR comments are riddclous. Every airport connection system I can thnk of with the exception of HKG runs thru major train stations and can be a madhouse at times. I agree there should be a dedicated train service between penn station and EWR but that's not likely to happen. As far as JFK goes there is an option that not many people think of. Taking the LIRR to jamaica and boarding the airtrain there. Total trip time doing this would be around 40 minutes. Cost of the trip is about $8-12. As far as LGA goes it's unlikely rail will ever be built due to community opposition. The only viable rail link would be linking to the 7 around shea stadium and that wouldnt be convenient. At the end of the day the decsion has to be made to serve the most people and the 2nd ave subway does that. If the 2nd ave subway isnt built this city is going to have major transportation problems in the near future.
cheers
howie
ps. Comming back from LGA last week I made it from there to union square in 50 minutes via the M60 and 4 train.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

In all three cases, I still budget on two hours to get to the airport from Manhattan. There's something wrong with that no matter how you look at it.
If you really do that, then either you must spend a great deal of time at the airport or you are the victim of a tremendous amount of bad luck.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:27 pm

They should do both - as some European cities seem to be able to do (at taxpayer expense).
Old May 23, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by erik123
They should do both - as some European cities seem to be able to do (at taxpayer expense).
Do you pay taxes in New York? Have you compared tax rates in the US to those in Europe lately?
Old May 24, 2007, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Do you pay taxes in New York? Have you compared tax rates in the US to those in Europe lately?
Yup - I'd even pay more to get what I want.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Cool

Originally Posted by Analise
If you really do that, then either you must spend a great deal of time at the airport or you are the victim of a tremendous amount of bad luck.
Yah. I tend to fly around the holidays, and I've had a few too many missed flights because of traffic, so I just go and double the amount of time needed to get to the airport. So far, so good. I'm bitter for a reason!

I have been able to get to JFK from midtown in a remarkable 25 minutes with a cab. Once only, though. It was also at around 4:30 or 5:00 am on a weekday.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
The only downside of the AirTran link to JFK or EWR is if you have luggage you are competing with actual commuters during rush hour. However, EWR - NJ Transit is very reliable and offers less than 45 minute ride from Penn Station. It doesn't quite serve anyone coming from the UES or CT via GCT but a ride on the S or 7 to 123 or AC downtown one stops quickly takes care of that.

The Airtran to JFK is very fast and from NY Penn to JFK terminal 1 is roughly 40 minutes. Excluding LIRR delays you zoom by all traffic and it is the most reliable method to get to the airport as the Van Wyck or Grand Central can kill you on a bad day plus the cab fare.

LGA is underserved unless you allocate time.

Sidenote - When Robert Moses architect the VAn Wyck and most parkways he could've incorporate a direct link train system to NYC for less than a million dollar but the racist ....... felt the best method of transportation was the car over his highways. Also, generating tolls on his bridge & tunnels so fast forward to today whereas the highways are inadequate and we all suffer.

I think the 2nd Ave Subway is a bigger win for NYC.
Consider, all the Queens passengers who would curse/scream if right of way and eminent domain is exercise so tourist can get to/from the airport quickly. Unless, it is a new subway line with stops along the way from Manhattan to JFK - I think all efforts should be focused on 2nd AVe. I'm happy with the current AirTrain service vs. 4 yrs ago whereas JFK was impossible from the city.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I think the 2nd Ave Subway is a bigger win for NYC.
Consider, all the Queens passengers who would curse/scream if right of way and eminent domain is exercise so tourist can get to/from the airport quickly. Unless, it is a new subway line with stops along the way from Manhattan to JFK - I think all efforts should be focused on 2nd AVe. I'm happy with the current AirTrain service vs. 4 yrs ago whereas JFK was impossible from the city.
So eminent domain is acceptable to you in Manhattan but not in Queens. Sounds like Robert Moses in reverse as he had the Bronx neighborhoods severed by eminent domain but protected Manhattan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.