Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steakhouses in NYC (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I might have missed it, but I didn't see any reference to Keen's, a great steakhouse that belongs on any solid list of NYC steakhouses.
It was just included in this month's NatGeo Traveller magazine's write-up of NYC. It was one of two featured steakhouses; the other was Luger. it is one of my preferred steak options in NYC, and the mutton chop isn't bad at all either.

If you're looking for info on it, the correct spelling is Keen's.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Blumie
In the case of Zagat, especially with respect to their NY survey, they have a large enough population of participants that any attempt to skew the results should prove to be futile.
I so wish this were true. How do you think it is that Danny Meyer's restaurant routinely makes the top 10?

So I view Zagat as a good "baseline" source of information about a place, certainly better than trusting a random poster on flyertalk or chowhound. On the other hand, if you find a food critic or someone who posts regularly on flyertalk, chowhound, or elsewhere with whom you regularly agree, then it certainly makes sense to pay more attention to that person's opinion than some random opinion.
Completely agree. Even Zagat, when they first started publishing guides outside New York, warned their readers to compare the numbers not against New York restaurants but against others in the same city.

Last edited by Landing Gear; Mar 25, 2008 at 3:43 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
How do you think it is that Danny Meyer's restaurant routinely makes the top 10?
Because, whether you like them or not, Danny Meyer's restaurants are wildly popular.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 3:56 pm

Because, whether you like them or not, Danny Meyer's restaurants are wildly popular.
Do you think that handing out Zagat survey forms to customers helps?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Do you think that handing out Zagat survey forms to customers helps?
Do they fill it out for them?

Cause if a crummy restaurant gave me a survey, I'd still give it a crummy review. BTW, how come I've never been given a survey when dining at a Danny Meyer restaurant?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:35 pm

Do they fill it out for them?

Cause if a crummy restaurant gave me a survey, I'd still give it a crummy review. BTW, how come I've never been given a survey when dining at a Danny Meyer restaurant?
Interesting. I haven't been to Union Square in years but the story of them giving out surveys has been told many times. Maybe they know you can't be bought.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Interesting. I haven't been to Union Square in years but the story of them giving out surveys has been told many times. Maybe they know you can't be bought.
I was at a Meyer place a week or so ago an didnt get one. I understand the point about Zagat in NY having so many votes that it makes manipulation tough and agree. But I think that it still has its limits and while I would trust Zagat more in a big city like NY or London I still dont put much faith in it. As a first source though it isnt bad.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
But I think that it still has its limits and while I would trust Zagat more in a big city like NY or London I still dont put much faith in it. As a first source though it isnt bad.
Start with Zagat.

Add a little Chowhound.
Maybe a dash of NY Magazine.
Then, a pinch of the NY Times.
And a little bit of google to finish it off.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
As a first source though it isnt bad.
I have Zagat for the PDA loaded on my Palm and as a directory it's terrific. You can search with combinations of parameters, e.g. French + late night + meat packing district and it comes up with lists. Unfortunately, you can't print them.

By the way, has everyone here tried Vindigo?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
I vote for Morton's and Peter Lugars hands down.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
1) Peter Luger
1) Wolfgangs
2) La Fusta Argentine restaurant in Elmhurst, Queens. It's not Luger's but they serve up a huge filet for $32 enough to feed two people that is tender and very tasty. They also have a very good selection of Argentine wines (Malbec, Cabernet) at reasonable prices.

I dined at Wolfgangs last night and have to say they are at least as good, if not better, than Luger's! Aside from being in Manhattan and accepting credit cards, their porterhouse, canadian bacon, German potatoes (hash browns) and schlag are to die for!!! Can't remember the last time I ate that much.

Last edited by RxCapt; May 17, 2008 at 5:47 pm Reason: replaced BLT Prime with Wolfgangs
Old May 20, 2008, 9:38 am

Best steak in New Xork City?

What would you recommend? Last time we were at Smith & Wollensky, which was pretty good.
Old May 20, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Originally Posted by Tazmania
What would you recommend?
Peter Lugars in Brooklyn.......World famouse and the best.

Last edited by dstan; Oct 9, 2009 at 11:23 am Reason: fixed broken quote
Old May 20, 2008, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by flyer121
What would you recommend?
Lugar's is good, but really only one kind of steak, no CC's, very "old-world" atmosphere.
Personally, I prefer Ben Benson's in midtown, but perhaps that's because I've had several really nice dinners there.

Best, Dave
Old May 20, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would highly recommend the Strip House. Lugers can be very good, but I find it is inconsistent. I would advise against the two BLT establishments. I have also been to the Craft Steak which I thought was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.