Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Steakhouses in NYC (consolidated)

Old Feb 8, 07, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, BA Silver, Continental, AA, Hilton, Marriott

I'm over in New York again next week. I'm a huge steak fan and I go to the same places again and again when I'm in town: Smith & Wollensky on 49th & 3rd and Michael Jordan's Steak House at Grand Central Station. Not just the steaks, but the hash browns, the pureed spinach... it's all incredible.

This time I thought I should try somewhere else for a change. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For a historical thread from 2000-2004, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...ggestions.html

For a related thread on where to find grass-fed beef in NYC, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-beef-nyc.html

For a related thread in the Religious Travelers forum, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/relig...rants-nyc.html

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; May 24, 11 at 4:52 pm Reason: Updated mod note
Old Feb 8, 07, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Do we have suggestions? You've come to the right place.

Look downthread in this forum for info on Cite. It's the current sentimental favorite.

#1 and #2 are Sparks near Grand Central; and, Peter Luger's in Brooklyn (cash only).

#3 The Strip House in Greenwich Village.

Ignor any other well meaning answers below.

Welcome to Flyertalk paulcimino.
Old Feb 8, 07, 8:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Wow, paulcimino, I think you're the anti-me. SW and Jordan's are probably my two _least_ favorite steak places in NYC. I just don't like the steaks. I'm a Morton's guy myself.
Old Feb 8, 07, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Frankie and Johnny's
Old Feb 8, 07, 8:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I haven't eaten there (yet), so of course take this with a grain of salt.

Sparks is literaly around the corner, when they start cooking we can smell it. Every day while waiting for the wife to come and pick me up and do the driver change and all that, I see limos dropping off people. It's unusual for a restaurant to have that much traffic that early in the evening, and the people usually look like they can eat where ever they want. I figure the food must be pretty good to be that busy, none of the other steak houses within a block or two have that kind of traffic.

The benefit of course is no matter what time we get out of here, and in any weather, if needed, there are cabs on the corner.
Old Feb 8, 07, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
I'd second Peter Luger's as my personal favorite, although you did specify Manhattan. Sparks is good, but I think not as good as it was...

Also, just got a gift card for this place. Haven't tried it yet, but the $20 off is worth trying.
Old Feb 8, 07, 9:36 am
Commander Catcop

For me it's the Old Homestead Steakhouse on 14th Street, the city's oldest steakhouse (and one of the oldest in the country

http://www.theoldhomesteadsteakhouse.com/index2.htm

If you choose this place go for the Gotham Rib Eye... succulant and oh so purrfect. (an added bonus is if the soup special is their Lobster Bisque.)

IF you like wine get to Cite fast... the $69 wine dinner is the best bang for the buck. The steaks are pretty good too.

I also LOVE Sparks and have not been there for over a year but from I hear it's still great.

I do NOT like Peter Lugars. The steaks are mediocre, the service surly boarding on "why are you here geek?" I was there in December and everythign at least for me went wrong.

One time I fell on the floor on that stupid sawdust. (I did NOT have one drink save for Coke) and one waiter just walked over me and the other said "Get out the way." The guests just laughed (including thankfully former co-workers from New York One.)

Plus it's a little of a trip to get there.
Old Feb 8, 07, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Hands down, Dylan Prime (http://www.dylanprime.com). Visit it at Greenwich and Laight
Old Feb 8, 07, 9:49 am

Strip House.
tho it's a much different vibe than Jordan's or S&W. t's more red-leather booths, with a burlesque theme. it also tends to attract a younger crowd.
i think their creamed spinach is the best in the city, and the steak is often just as good as you can get at luger's. they even take credit cards.
Old Feb 8, 07, 10:02 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Cite is going to close soon - better hurry - http://www.eater.com/ (scroll down to Feb. 5th entry)
Old Feb 8, 07, 10:06 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Wolfgang's in Tribeca is my favorite. Every steak has come out perfect. Very straightforward menu that is done extremely well. The atmosphere is posh, but not over the top. Very few tourists, lots of men in suits / ladies in casual-ish designer dresses.

I love Spark's sirloin. Everything else has been so-so. The decor is a bit run down in the way Luger's is. The crowd is part mobster / part tourist / part corporate. Frankly, it's a little too mobster/tourist for me...but I'll gladly sit through it for a sirloin there.

I've never had a bang on the table porterhouse from Luger's, but it's very good.

BLT Prime still beats a post-kitchen-overhaul Craftsteak in the "steak with a soft touch category". The tables are a bit crowded at BLT, but the sides, appetizers and deserts may be the best. Steaks are quite good. This generally under 40 crowd is a perfect atmosphere for those looking to avoid excess testoserone.

I've heard good things re: Striphouse.

The experts say avoid the new, posh Kobe Club. Bruini killed it yesterday and other reviewers have been equally lethal.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Feb 8, 07 at 10:12 am
Old Feb 8, 07, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
I like Sparks and their wine list is the best of anyone's.

I also like BLT and could fill up on the awesome popovers! Actually, I did and ended up taking 3/4 of my steak home!

I also like the Old Homestead.

I haven't been to Striphouse or Dylan so no comment on them.

I also hate Peter Lugers. Hate the ambience, the service and the pound of butter poured all over the steak.

Michael Jordan's? I never heard of anyone who likes that place other than for it's convenience for dinner for those in the burbs who have to run for their trains home.
Old Feb 9, 07, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, BA Silver, Continental, AA, Hilton, Marriott
I sure have come to the right place!

Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Do we have suggestions? You've come to the right place.

Look downthread in this forum for info on Cite. It's the current sentimental favorite.

#1 and #2 are Sparks near Grand Central; and, Peter Luger's in Brooklyn (cash only).

#3 The Strip House in Greenwich Village.

Ignor any other well meaning answers below.

Welcome to Flyertalk paulcimino.
Thanks a million everyone for all the advice! That's what I love about New York: you're serious about serous stuff! There's only one thing for it, I'll have to try the lot, and give you a steak report on return. If I don't get a heart attack first.

I remember Sparks now, though it's back in the mists of time for more than one reason. I had the most expensive lunch of my life there. It wasn't the food, it was the 1960 Delamain cognacs after. We got a bit carried away. And I fear we sampled several of the 497 different grappas behind the bar too...
Old Feb 9, 07, 10:46 am

Programs: UA
Last time I ate at Sparks my rare steak came out medium well.

Quality Meats on 58th between 5th and 6th is excellent, although I suspect it's a SW in disguise.
Old Feb 9, 07, 10:52 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder View Post
Quality Meats on 58th between 5th and 6th is excellent, although I suspect it's a SW in disguise.
No need to suspect--they fully admit to being S&W dressed up in AvroKO clothing.
http://qualitymeatsnyc.com/about.htm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: