Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Best Burger in Manhattan? Best inexpensive Steak?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Burger in Manhattan? Best inexpensive Steak?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
Have been to pretty much everything on the list except the burger joint at the Parker Meridien. For a classic burger, IMHO, I have to say it's a tie between PJ Clarke's and Prime Burger. Corner Bistro comes in next after that.
Old May 22, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Not sure about the best place but I had a great feed at "Trailer Park" 271 west 23rd st between 7th and 8th. I am an outta towner but me and my mates thought they were great!
Old May 24, 2006, 9:23 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Blumie
McHales is no longer in anyone's preferred area. It has closed.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo !!

That's where I always go (went) on my first evening in New York, for beer and a burger.

Is PJ Clarke's a good substitute ?
Old May 24, 2006, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Best burger in Manhattan is at Murphy's on Second Ave. @ 52nd. I get hungry just thinking about it.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I hate to break it to you, kids, but there is no "best" burger in Manhattan. Fortunately, though, there are lots of good ones, and trying to identify one's personal favorite is a tasty endeavor!

The two candidates I visit with the most frequency are the burger joint (the one at the Parker Meridien hotel) and Shake Shack (where a double shack burger with onions is my standard order) and, although both are good, I prefer the burger joint.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by StewieMac
Nooooooooooooooooooooo !!

That's where I always go (went) on my first evening in New York, for beer and a burger.

Is PJ Clarke's a good substitute ?
Yea, they lost their lease. They were a bit variable in my experience. Im looking forward to trying PJ Clarkes, lots say it is good. I can vouch for a fine beer and outstanding burger at both Corner Bistro and Fanellis. Both have similar atmosphere to McHales and I think their burgers are noteably better than the fine burger that McHales served. The bar burgers are also great because most are open until 4:00 AM.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yea, they lost their lease. They were a bit variable in my experience. Im looking forward to trying PJ Clarkes, lots say it is good. I can vouch for a fine beer and outstanding burger at both Corner Bistro and Fanellis. Both have similar atmosphere to McHales and I think their burgers are noteably better than the fine burger that McHales served. The bar burgers are also great because most are open until 4:00 AM.
I'm only speculating here, but I think this was an eminent domain thing - the entire building has since been razed, and going up is yet another high-rise.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I went to the Burger Joint last weekend. It was an excellent burger. The place is very small & getting a table can take a while, but it's worth it ^^ We got there a little after 5pm on Sat and all the tables were taken. I can't imagine what it's like in there during the week at lunchtime .

Luv the menu here - choice of burger or cheeseburger, fries, and drinks. That's it.

It's definitely worth the stop. Next time I'm on the East side I will try PJ Clarkes.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I have no basis for comparison, because I have not had many burgers in NYC. However, I have been to the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien and it was excellent - great flavor. The only possible complaint I would have is that they are not very big. You definitely need an order of fries and/or a shake to fill you up. Next time, TWO burgers and split an order of fries!
Old May 24, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
PJ Clarkes is great...and works well with kids in the back dining room. Virgil's is also great...probably a close second.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Late to the party, but I was underwhelmed with the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien.
I agree completely. Dried out, flat patty like a fast-food joint, not worth eating.

In addition to Fanelli's, I really like Jane (on Houston Street). it's not really a burger joint, but their burgers are excellent, and only $10 at lunch. Their rosemary fries are to die for as well.

Corner Bistro is good, but a little on the greasy end for my taste. A juicy burger doesn't have to be greasy

Heartland has several locations in the city. The one on Union Square (and only that one, in my book) makes an awesome burger.

In my neighborhood (hell's kitchen) I always turn to Mr. Bigg's, a bar on 43rd & 10th where they awesome burgers served with wedge fries and salad. Nothing but the burgers and fries are worth getting. At lunch you can get the burger/fries/salad combo PLUS a beer or soft drink for $5.95, and if it's nice out, they have a fun patio.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:53 am
kid

Corner Bistro still for a burger
Old May 26, 2006, 4:09 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 16, 2007 at 6:38 am
Old May 26, 2006, 6:48 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Best burger: Big Daddy's Diner
Old May 31, 2006, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Finally had a chance to go to the Shake Shack in Madison Sq Park yesterday.
Located on 23rd street where Broadway and 5th ave meet.

I must say that for under $5, this sure beats Burger King.
If it's nice outside, they have tables set up. I waited about 5 minutes at 12 noon.

I tried the hotdogs. No big deal. Ok to PASS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.