Restaurants for 25th Anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC

OK, after all the intense opinions I have received in response to my post about restaurants on W 72nd, let's see what kind of food fight this request will generate:

ms. jmd001 and I will be in NYC to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Staying at the W=A (thanks to an AXON!).

So where should be have our 25th anniversary dinner??? (Probably on a Wednesday night.)

In approximate priority order, the type of restaurants we mutually enjoy the most are Italian, French, Asian-Fusion, American. The ms. is NOT a "red meat" eater (fish, chicken OK). Would prefer a place not too far from the Waldorf (e.g., within 15 to 20 minutes; or at least in Manhattan).

Thanks.

-------------

Please note that we STRONGLY prefer quiet restaurants. A "noise level" rating would be appreciated (e.g., "1" for "hear a pin drop" to "10" for "have to YELL in each others ears")

Last edited by jmd001; Jan 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Italian? How about the new Del Posto?

(Couldn't find a website, but here's an interesting blog report):

http://augieland.blogs.com/augie_lan...sto_933_b.html
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by jmd001
OK, after all the intense opinions I have received in response to my post about restaurants on W 72nd, let's see what kind of food fight this request will generate:

ms. jmd001 will be in NYC to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Staying at the W=A (thanks to an AXON!).

So where should be have our 25th anniversary dinner??? (Probably on a Wednesday night.)

In approximate priority order, the type of restaurants we mutually enjoy the most are Italian, French, Asian-Fusion, American. The ms. is NOT a "red meat" eater (fish, chicken OK). Would prefer a place not too far from the Waldorf (e.g., within 15 to 20 minutes; or at least in Manhattan).

Thanks.

How much do you want to spend?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
How much do you want to spend?
"Want to spend" or "expecting to spend" or "willing to spend"?

To the "expecting", I would say between $200 and $300 (including one bottle of reasonably good wine, tax, and tip). "Willing" could be more ...

In fact, an "all in" estimate for any recommendations would be appreciated, particularly if it is above $300.

Second thoughts: It just hit me. If (when?) ms. jmd001 reads this post, she may do math and say "I'm only worth $8 to $12 per year???" So much for the $300 cap; just give me an idea of the "all in" cost. Thanks.

Last edited by jmd001; Jan 28, 2006 at 11:23 am Reason: Second Thoughts!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:37 pm

Some suggestions:

JoJo (French)- Jean Georges bistro style restaurant. Great food and ambiance. Upper east side.

Grammercy Tavern (modern American) is probably in that price range. Down Park from the Waldorf. Absolutely outstanding place.

Jacks Luxury Oyster Bar or Jewel Bako. Same owner. There was a great write up about them in the January US Air Magazine. It focused on how the owner believed, and demonstrated, that in addition to great food, it was important to make every customer feel special and how each customer was different and the staff had to figure that out to optimize the experience.

Kai (Japanese Kaiseki) really zen like atmosphere. Multiple small dishes. Slate tables. Very nice.

Honmura An (Japanese Soba is the specialty but also some of the best of other Japanese dishes this side of Tokyo) - our favorite restaurant in NY. Very nice although perhaps a bit too spartan for a 25th depending on what you are looking for.

We had our 25th this past August. My wifes 50th birthday was three days before. For her birthday we went to Ducasse. For our 25th we went to Kai and had the chefs special Omakase dinner which I think has to be ordered in advance. It was probably a bit more than $300 but the regular menu should be in that range. They also do sake pairings with the courses. I doubt they have much wine if that matters but Im not sure. They have first rate sake collections.

Got to run now but I will think of some others as will others here Im sure. And congrats
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
I guess it's the obvious( but for good reason) if you enjoy fish why not Le Bernadin? And if you let them know about the special occasion in advance it should be an evening that will exceed your expectations. It will probably be a bit over your $300 budget though.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by catwings01
I guess it's the obvious( but for good reason) if you enjoy fish why not Le Bernadin? And if you let them know about the special occasion in advance it should be an evening that will exceed your expectations. It will probably be a bit over your $300 budget though.
I dont think you can do LeBernardin for close to $300. Maybe some others could comment on their experiences there, however.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:06 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Jean Georges
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Jean Georges
I would go to LeBernardin, especially likeing seafood before Jean George. I dont think either can be done for anywhere near $300 though. But Jean George will likely be more than LeBernardin by a substantial margin.

Of the Michelin three star restaurants in NY I would estimate prices all in for two people at about the following:

Per Se (Ill start with it since I havent been there yet and have no idea ) ?
Ducasse - $1000-$1600
Jean George - $700-$900
Le Bernardin - $500-$600

My favorite overall in the group is Ducasse but LeBernardin is a close second and a LOT cheaper. It also specializes in seafood. Ive gone in the $1000 range at LeBernardin but we had a half bottle of Y'quem for desert and some other pricy wines.

Another place I keep forgetting and I dont know why because it is an absolute favorite is Picholine. We were talking about it on another thread a month or so ago. It is a gem and probably in the $300 price range. Wonderful food and service.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:04 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Why would Jean Georges cost so much ? The tasting menu is 120 and 5 courses is 90, a 100 or so on wine and add tax and tip doesn't add up to me.(I'm not saying it's impossible or even hard to spend a thousand dollars on dinner for two there, just that it isn't neccesary, I think you could get out the door for <400 and not feel like you skimped at all)
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Why would Jean Georges cost so much ? The tasting menu is 120 and 5 courses is 90, a 100 or so on wine and add tax and tip doesn't add up to me.(I'm not saying it's impossible or even hard to spend a thousand dollars on dinner for two there, just that it isn't neccesary, I think you could get out the door for <400 and not feel like you skimped at all)
In theory but I just dont see it in practice. For instance I think the tasting menu at Ducasse is $160. But I have been there 4 or 5 times and not gotten out for less than $500 per person. with a high of $800 per person, the difference being wine and white truffle supplements. Not coincidentally I saw Ducasse on CNNs Pinnacle show and he said they estimate the typical dinner there is $500 per person. The first time we went to Ducasse they had NO French wine for less than $200 per bottle. This was not long after they opened and they got a lot of complaints about that and they now have cheaper wines. I mean, I think they charged $25 for coffee. It adds up. When we were there in August for my wifes birthday we only drank wine by the glass (although a few glasses of Dom Perignon as well) and it was still $1000 with tip. Jean George is less but the same type type thing. Im basing it on experience and it obviously varies. But I still say it would be very difficult to get out of Jean Georges for under $400. A few years ago a review of Jean Georges said something like "the only thing missing is a finance office to help in paying the bill".

In addition, for someone who liked fish I would probably pick LeBernardin before anyplace else I have been in the world (excepting sushi in which case probably Kyubei in Tokyo). For fish I would without doubt pick LeBernardin over Jean Georges. LeBernardin specializes in fish and it shows. It is a little more understated than Jean Georges and I much prefer it. It is also cheaper I think. In fact if I wanted to have Jean Georges food, and I agree that he is a great chef, I would probably go to JoJo before going to Jean Georges. If Im going to pay Jean Georges kind of money I would just go to Ducasse, which is more expensive, but I like a lot more. I would also probably pick Picholine over Jean Georges. It is one of the best deals around.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 31, 2006 at 6:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.