Search
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
Updated December 2011 by cordelli
Updated 5/2012 to add in Hilton

A consolidation of some information gathered from recent posts:

Penn station
with an Amtrak or NJ Transit Ticket (Previous posts have said LIRR tickets are not acceptable)
31st street / 8th ave entrance, past the entrance for gates 1 to 4

Grand Central Terminal
No in station storage

Port Authority
No in station storage

JFK
Terminal 1 Arrivals - First floor (near Alitalia and Olympic Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 7AM-11PM
Telephone: (718) 751-2947

Terminal 3 Arrivals
Pre-Security
Arrivals
Hotels Counter in Area B

Terminal 4 Arrivals - First floor
Hours of Operation: 24 Hours
Telephone: (718) 751-4020

Edited 9/23/2010 - The Port Authority website lists storage at terminal 5, but as sbm12 indicates below this really isn't there, so I removed it. The Jet Blue website refers people to the facilities at Terminals 1 and 4.

Terminals 8 - (American Airlines)
Hours of Operation: 6AM-10PM
Approximate Cost (depending on size): $8 - $18 per day
Telephone: (718) 995-9292
Early (earlier that 6:00am) pick-up of luggage is possible.

LGA
No Storage

Newark
NBS in Terminal C, Carosel 1
1 (908) 933-0503

note - the NYC.com visitor guide for luggage storage says there is no storage at Newark, but as of December 15, 2011, kwildnj reported there is still luggage storage there, and that They are open 8:00am-1:00am daily. Fees are 10.00 First Bag, 5.00 Subsequent (per day)

Macy*s
There are many pages online saying that Macy*s will accept bags

Schwartz Travel

355 w 36th St.
Between 8th & 9th Ave. – 2nd Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (West Side) & Port Authority A.C.E. Subway stop, next to the Wyndham Hotel
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

34 w 46th St.
Between 5th & 6th Ave. – 4th Floor
Close to Times Square & Grand Central Terminal Same Building as Via Brasil & Subway
Open Everyday: 8am - 11pm

2 w 32th St.
Between 5th Ave & Broadway – 5th Floor
Close to MSG, Penn Station (East Side) & the Empire State Building
(Located near 5th Ave. Next to the Nyma Hotel. Same building as the Korean Museam, OZ Hair, Kirakuya Sake Bar)
Now Closed - will re-open July 2012

Day . Week . Month Please send e-mail to reserve - Walk-ins Welcome. Storage Price: $7 - $10 each bag. $10 maximum per day per luggage. Monthly Rate: $2 to $5 a day, (depending on size) per luggage.Tourist Friendly - Special Group & Student Rates Safe . Secure . Reliable. Satisfaction Guaranteed

We are Open Everyday at 355 w 36th st included Major Holidays.

Near Yankee Stadium
In the Bronx across from Yankee Stadium at the bowling alley. They have a pretty good bag check.

Hilton Hotel
6th between 53 and 54th, Manhattan
I was there for a meeting this morning and noticed they have a luggage storage side on first floor just to the right of the main entrance as you face the hotel. Open 7 am to 10 pm, $3.50 per bag per calendar day. Says to ask the front desk after hours.
Print Wikipost

The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by David Andrew Prim
Thanks. I hadn't fully decided yet, but I was thinking an Uber/Lyft would be reasonable. Any advice?
I think it really depends on where in Brooklyn you are headed. Public transportation will certainly be cheaper, but it might take more or less time than a car service, depending on traffic conditions and proximity of your actual destination to a Long Island Rail Road or subway station.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The biggest issue with most of these luggage storage companies is that they don't open until 8am. I'm taking a red-eye to EWR, and I expect to be in Manhattan by 6am. I don't feel like lugging my backpack and carry-on, nor waiting for one of those places to open.

Is there a hotel near Penn Station or Grand Central Station that could store my luggage for a few hours?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by David Andrew Prim
Need advice on JFK-specific storage for a few hours. Flying into T8 next week at 3pm (AA), leaving from T1 (DY) at 10:30pm, and planning to meet a friend at a restaurant in Brooklyn for a couple hours during the layover. Would it be best to go T8->T1 when I land and have my bag at T1 when I return? I've only been through JFK once before, so I'm not very familiar with how easy it is to go between terminals. Would it be easier to try and store at an airport hotel? Or should I just take my bags with me into Brooklyn?
Assuming they'll let you do it that early, why not check in for the DY flight, and check your larger bag?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The biggest issue with most of these luggage storage companies is that they don't open until 8am. I'm taking a red-eye to EWR, and I expect to be in Manhattan by 6am. I don't feel like lugging my backpack and carry-on, nor waiting for one of those places to open.

Is there a hotel near Penn Station or Grand Central Station that could store my luggage for a few hours?
Quite a few.

I'd look for a chain (Westin Grand Central, maybe) for best bet of a bellman willing to do this for $5/bag or so.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Quite a few.

I'd look for a chain (Westin Grand Central, maybe) for best bet of a bellman willing to do this for $5/bag or so.
There's a Grand Hyatt near Grand Central. I'm having trouble finding any hotel with potentially a bellman near Penn Station. I was hoping not to lug my luggage up to Times Square.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:47 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
All hotels that I have been in have luggage storage of some kind, even if there isn't an overt "bellman".
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:58 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I've added a wikipost so that everyone can contribute info, and have copied cordelli's Dec 2011 update to get the ball rolling.

/Moderator
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Gold
The phone number for NBS at EWR is "out of service". A Premier Desk agent told me today there's some sort of baggage service in EWR, but didn't give me any information.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
I’ve used Radical Storage in various cities in the UK. They tend to work with grocery stores that have a storage room for bags. You book online, and you get a QR code which the storage place scans at drop off, and pick up. The link here is for NYC, and they’re quoting around $6 per bag per day when I checked just now.

I don’t work for them, am not on commission or anything! Just a happy customer in the UK….
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Gold
Amtrak Parcel Check is $20 per day, located in Amtrak Baggage Claim in Moynihan Hall at New York Penn.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Any update on the T8 device? Seeing some posts about the phone line being dead a year ago. Wondering if it’s still active.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by kfreezen
Amtrak Parcel Check is $20 per day, located in Amtrak Baggage Claim in Moynihan Hall at New York Penn.
Good to know, though it says it's per item which can get a little pricey. To clarify a little from the Amtrak site:

Temporary Bag Storage

Customers holding tickets for Amtrak travel may store their items in Parcel Check service when available for $10 per item for 24 hours. Check the station detail page for the stations you'll be visiting to see if they offer this service. Customers that don't have an Amtrak ticket may store items for $20 per item for 24 hours (valid photo ID required).
Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:08 am

In Manhattan, there are countless stores and locations that are a part of services like Bounce & LuggageHero. I've used Bounce and was very happy when I needed them. Do keep in mind though, some of the locations are things like tourist gift shops, and Dunkin Donut locations. As long as I have my stuff secured with a TSA Lock, and it's in a back room --- I do not care as much, but I want to mention it.

Another Option is staying at a 4 Star Hotel, and asking ahead of booking, if they have Bell & Luggage Storage. I personally try to avoid going to Penn Station & 42nd St Station in the city -- due to the surrounding environment, crime, and traffic, so for me -- Amtrak Storage would only be good if I'm taking a regional train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.