Search

Barney Greengrass - lox and sturgeon

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 9:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Barney Greengrass - lox and sturgeon

Chicago has Abe Fromer the Sausage King, NYC has Barney Greengrass the Sturgeon King.

Went to Barney Greengrass this past weekend, Judi had the scrambled eggs and salami, I had the lox and smoked sturgeon platter w/toasted onion bagel and the small bottles of diet coke. THAT is a breakfast.

Had so much energy Judi and I walked north to 110th then meandered through Central Park and all the way back to our hotel on Lexington & 39th.

Get there early if on a weekend, place fills up fast.

Barney Greengrass 212.595.6565
541 Amsterdam Avenue at 86th Street
New York, NY 10024
Tuesdays through Sunday 8am to 6pm.
Restaurant opens at 8:30am.
During Holidays, Please check for store hours.
http://www.barneygreengrass.com
Old May 30, 2005, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Same great lox and sturgeon available at Barney's, Beverly Hills. Barney Greengrass is on the top floor and has a great patio with wonderful views. Of note: Restaurant opens on Sunday (I think at 9:00AM) before the store opens. I love the counter/bar. Some times when I am alone in BH, I'll go to the counter and have an appetizer size of whitefish salad with a toasted bagel. Just great ^
Old May 30, 2005, 10:25 pm

The other top-notch lox and sturgeon places in Manhattan are Murray's Sturgeon Shop on Broadway between 89th and 90th and Russ & Daughters on Houston between Allen and Orchard.
Old May 30, 2005, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I don't care if Zagat gave Barney GG a 23 rating. I think it's overrated and overpriced.

Next time do takeout from Fairway. Better quality for the same price.

Dan
Old May 31, 2005, 5:35 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by themicah
The other top-notch lox and sturgeon places in Manhattan are Murray's Sturgeon Shop on Broadway between 89th and 90th and Russ & Daughters on Houston between Allen and Orchard.
Thanks themicah for the addresses for us out of towners ^

Dan, where is Fairway located?
Old May 31, 2005, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Dan, where is Fairway located?
The main Fairway is on Broadway between 74th and 75th.

Fairway is a grocery store, not a speciality shop like Murray's, R&D, or BGG. They have a great selection of packaged lox (and most other kinds of foods--it's a great store), but I don't think they have the fresh-cut (and expensive) stuff that the specialty shops have.

Also keep in mind that although "lox" is used as a catchall for various kinds of smoked salmon, the NYC favorite (at least in my family) is actually Nova Scotia smoked salmon (sometimes pronounced "Novy"). Lox is saltier than Nova. if you go into Murray's, for example, and ask for "lox," they'll ask if you want lox or Nova, kind of like if you asked for a Coke in a restaurant down south.

Last edited by themicah; May 31, 2005 at 6:48 am
Old May 31, 2005, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nova is more to my liking, not lox.
Old May 31, 2005, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by themicah
The main Fairway is on Broadway between 74th and 75th.

Fairway is a grocery store, not a speciality shop like Murray's, R&D, or BGG.

Hold on a minute. When was the last time you were in Fairway? They have one of the best selections in the city. Same goes for the store on 125th street. From the outside Fairway looks like a regular market. Lots of fruit etc. But from the inside... hmmm.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Hold on a minute. When was the last time you were in Fairway? They have one of the best selections in the city. Same goes for the store on 125th street. From the outside Fairway looks like a regular market. Lots of fruit etc. But from the inside... hmmm.
I was there within the last week. But I didn't realize they had fresh Nova/lox. They do have an excellent selection of packaged salmon, though. I'll have to look for the fresh Nova next time I go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.