A present. Driving directions to the Howard Beach Air Train station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A present. Driving directions to the Howard Beach Air Train station

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got another 10 day JFK trip ahead of me and I'm trying to decide whether to leave it (inconspicuously, of course) on the street in Howard Beach. In the history of Flyertalk, has anyone ever been ticketed for parking more than 7 days? For that matter, has anyone ever been ticketed ANYWHERE in NYC (for a couple weeks parking, not leaving your car for months)?

The other thing to consider, of course, is vandalism, but this has never happened to me in my many times parking in HB (of course, there's always a first).

My alternative is to rent one way car rentals which will cost me a little more than $100 roundtrip. Time-wise this is a wash -- I'll save a little time at JFK because the car rental depots are at Federal Station, which is closer on the Airtrain to the terminals, but I'll waste time at home picking up and returning the cars. I'd also have to use dubious car rental codes (especially at JFK, where rates otherwise are crazy), and there's always a small risk that I'll be hassled for that.

Ah, choices.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
One poster upthread reported vandalism (his car had out-of-state plates).
I just got home from a trip. I got my best spot ever... it was 1 block from the train.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I just got home from a trip. I got my best spot ever... it was 1 block from the train.
Yeah, I've got to believe that vandalism is a FAR more likely risk than getting ticketed/towed, but it's good to know the scene. With out-of-state plates, I try not to park too close to the station on the theory that, if there are any criminals, that's where they'll look first. I also try not to park in front of anyone's house.

I've got to believe the odds that you'll "have a problem" on even a 2 week stay if you follow these precautions are low, but they're not zero.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Im parked since 10/10 1/2 a block away, couldnt believe it was available @ 1pm and I didnt block any access to any house either

iahphx I can answer your question when I get on 10/25 since my car will have been parked for 15 days by then, figured the car is 6 yrs old and with some dents = not much to lose damage wise just hope its still there and not towed
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Im parked since 10/10 1/2 a block away, couldnt believe it was available @ 1pm and I didnt block any access to any house either

iahphx I can answer your question when I get on 10/25 since my car will have been parked for 15 days by then, figured the car is 6 yrs old and with some dents = not much to lose damage wise just hope its still there and not towed
well Im back after 15 days no tkts, car was exactly where I left it and the only damage was alot of bird droppings and dirt since it was undr a tree.

Again there was place for a car to park behind me and in front of me and I wasnt blocking any path to either houses door. Had I taken the spot behind or in front of me then I would have been inconvincing the home owners from being able to pull up right in front of the paths to their homes, thusly I felt I wouldnt tick anyone off, something I didnt want to do when parking for 15 days, nor ever if possible but if for a day or 2 max Id probably just take whats available ratber then find an Ideal spot that wouldnt affect them
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well Im back after 15 days no tkts, car was exactly where I left it and the only damage was alot of bird droppings and dirt since it was undr a tree.

Again there was place for a car to park behind me and in front of me and I wasnt blocking any path to either houses door. Had I taken the spot behind or in front of me then I would have been inconvincing the home owners from being able to pull up right in front of the paths to their homes, thusly I felt I wouldnt tick anyone off, something I didnt want to do when parking for 15 days, nor ever if possible but if for a day or 2 max Id probably just take whats available ratber then find an Ideal spot that wouldnt affect them
Thanks for the report, craz. I suspect your experience will be repeated by the vast majority of long term parkers.

The "problem," of course, is the parking risk isn't zero on the street. I see it kind of as a self-insurance program. You just saved yourself almost $200 in parking fees by parking on the street. Probably worth it. And parking for longer periods of time saves materially more money, even if it slightly increases the risk.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the report, craz. I suspect your experience will be repeated by the vast majority of long term parkers.

The "problem," of course, is the parking risk isn't zero on the street. I see it kind of as a self-insurance program. You just saved yourself almost $200 in parking fees by parking on the street. Probably worth it. And parking for longer periods of time saves materially more money, even if it slightly increases the risk.
thats how I view it as well. I always saw it no different then parking in front of my own home, I do get a bit ticked when I pull up and there are cars parked blocking the path to the house when they could have simply have parked a few feet away and left me the access

Thats why when I park at HB I do my darnest to make sure that if theres a car blocking the direct path to the persons house its Not my car, I feel if I give them some couresty they will respond in kind and so far after 10s of times parking there TG no damages to the car nor tkts.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thats how I view it as well. I always saw it no different then parking in front of my own home, I do get a bit ticked when I pull up and there are cars parked blocking the path to the house when they could have simply have parked a few feet away and left me the access

Thats why when I park at HB I do my darnest to make sure that if theres a car blocking the direct path to the persons house its Not my car, I feel if I give them some couresty they will respond in kind and so far after 10s of times parking there TG no damages to the car nor tkts.
Just bumping this thread because I got a PM about it. HB parking still works great. Be aware that, for the next several weeks, the Airtran in closed after 9 pm and you have to take a free replacement bus. There is a related thread on this. The bus is OK, but it will probably add 15 minutes to your trip. Keep this in mind if you have a late returning flight.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I got a PM too?

Glad to see this 7 year old thread is still giving to this community. I discovered the HB free parking during the $52 fare to Iceland. Remember that?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I got a PM too?

Glad to see this 7 year old thread is still giving to this community. I discovered the HB free parking during the $52 fare to Iceland. Remember that?
Yes I d!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a PM too?

I'm actually surprised that HB parking isn't more popular. In addition to just not knowing about it, I'm guessing it's because NYC street parking has a bad reputation (a lot of cars used to get stolen in NYC, but no longer) and local car services to the airport are fairly reasonable.

Now if only somebody could do something about the Belt Parkway, I might actually LIKE flying out of JFK. If you're coming from Jersey, like I usually am, you'll know that the Belt is entirely unpredictable. Earlier this month, though, I made it from the Verrazano to JFK in 20 minutes -- in rush hour. Next time, it will probably take me an hour.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Earlier this month, though, I made it from the Verrazano to JFK in 20 minutes -- in rush hour.
Certainly the morning rush hour when heavy traffic is going the other way. This trip would require an average speed of 60+ MPH which is just not possible in the evening rush hour.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Certainly the morning rush hour when heavy traffic is going the other way. This trip would require an average speed of 60+ MPH which is just not possible in the evening rush hour.
I know it's not "possible" -- but I did it (well, to Leffert's Blvd "kiss and fly" to drop off family before returning to HB Train Station!

Amazing, as it was on a Friday night, too, about 5:30 pm.

Most of the time, it's a slog -- and God forbid there's an accident. It's the single biggest problem for me flying out of JFK. The Belt is completely unpredictable, and there's not a good alternative route if something goes wrong. It's particularly annoying because most of the time I'm headed there is int'l, and those flights (unless they're to deep S. America), tend to leave in the evening, which is the worst time to head to JFK along the Belt.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...the evening, which is the worst time to head to JFK along the Belt.
And there is a better time to use the Van Wyck?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by monitor
And there is a better time to use the Van Wyck?
Nne has ever beaten the Van Wyck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.