Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is going on 12/3 - 12/5?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:38 am
Original Poster

What is going on 12/3 - 12/5?

I'm going to see Conan O'Brian on Friday and wanted to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, but the hotel prices for this time period are crazy! Two star hotels in Manhattan are mostly sold out, and three stars begin at $400 a night. Is there something special going on in town that weekend? Any recommendations for a cheaper place to stay (preferably near mass transit)?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:27 am

Not aware of anything in particular, may just be the lots of holiday visitors.

Alternatives: Downtown hotels, Brooklyn Marriott

or in NJ: Jersey City Hyatt (near PATH & ferry), or multiple hotels in Secaucus/Harmon Meadow (near NJTransit 320 bus service).
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I'm going to see Conan O'Brian on Friday and wanted to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, but the hotel prices for this time period are crazy! Two star hotels in Manhattan are mostly sold out, and three stars begin at $400 a night. Is there something special going on in town that weekend? Any recommendations for a cheaper place to stay (preferably near mass transit)?
December in New York---that's what is going on. Try Priceline.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:52 am

Stay out near Laguardia Airport to save some Coin

Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
Not aware of anything in particular, may just be the lots of holiday visitors.

Alternatives: Downtown hotels, Brooklyn Marriott

or in NJ: Jersey City Hyatt (near PATH & ferry), or multiple hotels in Secaucus/Harmon Meadow (near NJTransit 320 bus service).
Obviously without much of the glamour of being actually in the City, but :15 minutes away by cab and around $25-$30 to get in. Depending on the rates you get, this could be worth it.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:11 pm

The tree went up today. It's a big boy.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Imagine being the old owner of the house? One year you figure it's better to get a tree you can plant after, then some dozens of years later it's THE tree.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:07 pm

It sounds kind of silly, but I'd be super proud to raise that tree.

Even today, when they were just jamming it in its stand, it was really cool to see everybody pretty much in awe. Ultimately, it becomes "The Christmas Tree," but this morning, laying on its side in front of 30 Rock completely raw, it was much more than that somehow.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!

Both the Hyatt and Marriott are offering sub-$300 rooms (probably the only time I'd call a $300 room a "deal"). NY is a great place to be around Christmas, so I can understand the demand. I was hoping to catch Avenue Q as well, but that seems to be sold out. Any opinions on the best way to catch popular shows? Tkts? Standby? Any good shows to see that might be less popular (I think I've already seen all the Disney ones)?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Holiday weekends are extremely popular - many out-of-state visitors will be booking their December 2005 stay when they check out in Dec. 2004 (and so on).

Compounding matters, there are a couple of big conventions starting the following Monday, and delegates may be taking advantage and arriving early to do shopping etc. before their trade shows.

If cost is not primary factor, try the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Fund ticket service - they resell donated house seats (so the locations are usually quite good) and part of the cost is tax-deductible:

http://www.cancerresearchfund.org/btHowItWorks.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.