Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Italian

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Basic Italian

Any good suggestions for the basic Italian fare: pasta, red sauce, salad, soup, etc.... nothing fancy....just something when you are eating it you feel like you are at grandma's....nice homey atmosphere and just good food. Midtown is preferred location. Give price indication if you can. Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by DLSIZE
Any good suggestions for the basic Italian fare: pasta, red sauce, salad, soup, etc.... nothing fancy....just something when you are eating it you feel like you are at grandma's....nice homey atmosphere and just good food. Midtown is preferred location. Give price indication if you can. Thanks
The only inexpensive place I can think of is Mange e Beve over on 9th Ave, around West 53 Street (?) Not fancy. Good food. I'd say cheap by NY standards. Every so often, there is a couple of minutes of singing thrrown in for good measure. This is a fun place.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So you're looking for Southern Italian. Northern Italian cuisine seems to shun tomato sauce. Midtown restaurants can be pricey so I suggest walking along 9th Avenue from 48th Street up to say....57th Street. You'll see many Italian restaurants. Look at a menu and decide. I'm sure wherever you choose, you'll enjoy the meal immensely.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The only inexpensive place....
It does not have to be cheap. I want something like Rocco's wishes it could be.....homestyle. I don't want a fancy, elegant restaurant...just a regular, old, this is how mama makes it every Sunday kind of place. If it costs $100 pp for lasagna so be it, I am just looking for the specific taste and atmosphere.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:50 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
If you're willing to go downtown, Arte on East 10th is a great place.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It does not have to be cheap. I want something like Rocco's wishes it could be.....homestyle. I don't want a fancy, elegant restaurant...just a regular, old, this is how mama makes it every Sunday kind of place. If it costs $100 pp for lasagna so be it, I am just looking for the specific taste and atmosphere.
La Locanda: 9th Ave and 50th Street. You'll be happy there.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Try La Cantina Toscana on 1st Ave at 61st St. It was recommended to us by an Italian woman who told us it's the real deal. They make the best lasagne I have ever had. They have a regular menu and a wild game menu if you'd like to try wild boar or something less ordinary. The owner keeps a great wine list and is more than happy to discuss them with you. And for Manhattan it's cheap (under $20 for most entrees).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.