Search

Watch a chef perform

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:33 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Watch a chef perform

Dining at the Chefs Counter: With theater tickets $100 a pop and hardly a guarantee of an entertaining evening, why not get some drama plus a good meal at a chefs counter overlooking an open kitchen? At establishments such as Bread Bar at Tabla, Casa Mono, Hearth, Olives and Zo patrons can observe close-up how a professional kitchen functions. For diners, the upside is interaction with the chefs and possibly free bites. For cooks its a different story. As if working in a restaurant kitchen werent stressful enough, the toques at the aforementioned places also have the additional pressure of performing under scrutinizing eyes and modifying their noise level and language (including code words for VIPs dishes) while maintaining irreproachable sanitary conditions. Of course, its not all bad, as Olives executive sous-chef Michael Klein notes, Some patrons will buy post-work drinks for the kitchen staff, or give them a nice tip though theyre not expected. Moreover, as chef Floyd Cardoz (Tabla and Bread Bar at Tabla) points out, many chefs-counter patrons are interested in cooking and the process of how restaurants coordinate a meal, and relish the opportunity to ask questions. And provided their time is not monopolized by chatterbugs, Cardoz says, Its very gratifying for the cooks to talk about their work with patrons, many of whom come away as impressed by the hard work and discipline needed to excel on the open kitchen stage as they are by the food theyve consumed.

from Zagat.com
Old Oct 12, 2004, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
This was the rage a few years ago. Places put in tables in the kitchen or in a private dining area overlooking the kitchen. One I remember was LeBernardin. They had a glassed in room that faced the kitchen on one side. The chef would come over and talk to the people about what he was preparing and such. Looked like a great idea. You paid by the room and it would seat up to 4. It was maybe 20% more than a typical meal for 4 would cost and included 4 meals as I recall. On a somewhat related note one of my favorite NY restaurants, Picholine has a private dining area in the wine celler which we did once and it was pretty nice. I dont think it cost extra, just hard to book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.