Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK AirTrain Directions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:41 am
Original Poster

JFK AirTrain Directions

Forgive my ignorance, but in all the threads about the AirTrain at JFK I've yet to get a clear picture of precisely what is involved at both the terminal and the connection to the subway.

I'll be arriving in NYC for the first time on 9/20 at 4.05pm (at least that's what BA says, but I'm not holding my breath ). As I'm staying at a hotel in West 44th St in Manhattan, I believe the E train to Lexington Ave/53rd St with a V to 42nd St is my best bet on the subway, so I plan on taking the AirTrain to Jamaica-Sutphin Bvld and connecting to the E from there.

My question is, precisely what directions do I have to follow to do this? Obviously the AirTrain runs on its loop above the main arrivals level, so what signage and/or stairs do I have to look for once I clear customs and get out into the hall?

So from there I have to get a Jamaica-bound train, get off at Jamaica and buy a $7 Metrocard from the vending machines before the ticket barriers to pay for the rides. But how do I get to the westbound E train platform once I'm through the ticket barrier? Apparently you can either go down to the street and enter the subway station by going around a corner, or now there's escalators down to the LIRR station from where you can now also access the subway platforms without going outside?

I've tried to make sense of what FTers have said in other threads, but I always get confused as to what directions to follow to make it. In addition, is the subway going into Manhattan likely to be jam-packed at 4.30 in the afternoon? I'm sure the outbound trains will be, but I'm interested to know whether I'll be squashed like a sardine in the process!

I'm sure it'll all be simple once I get there, but some guidance would be appreciated.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Proud NB
Forgive my ignorance, but in all the threads about the AirTrain at JFK I've yet to get a clear picture of precisely what is involved at both the terminal and the connection to the subway.

I'll be arriving in NYC for the first time on 9/20 at 4.05pm (at least that's what BA says, but I'm not holding my breath ). As I'm staying at a hotel in West 44th St in Manhattan, I believe the E train to Lexington Ave/53rd St with a V to 42nd St is my best bet on the subway, so I plan on taking the AirTrain to Jamaica-Sutphin Bvld and connecting to the E from there.

My question is, precisely what directions do I have to follow to do this? Obviously the AirTrain runs on its loop above the main arrivals level, so what signage and/or stairs do I have to look for once I clear customs and get out into the hall?

So from there I have to get a Jamaica-bound train, get off at Jamaica and buy a $7 Metrocard from the vending machines before the ticket barriers to pay for the rides. But how do I get to the westbound E train platform once I'm through the ticket barrier? Apparently you can either go down to the street and enter the subway station by going around a corner, or now there's escalators down to the LIRR station from where you can now also access the subway platforms without going outside?

I've tried to make sense of what FTers have said in other threads, but I always get confused as to what directions to follow to make it. In addition, is the subway going into Manhattan likely to be jam-packed at 4.30 in the afternoon? I'm sure the outbound trains will be, but I'm interested to know whether I'll be squashed like a sardine in the process!

I'm sure it'll all be simple once I get there, but some guidance would be appreciated.
Forgive what ignorance? We're glad you're here in FT!

You pretty much have it. Once you go through the turnstyles in Jamaica, the easiest thing to do to catch the E is to go down the long massive escalators directly straight ahead from the turnstyle. At the bottom of the escalators, turn left and walk straight ahead under the LIRR tracks. You will then see another escalator leading you directly down to the subway. Go through the turnstyle and you will see that the E is just downstairs. Take the stairs to the right of the turnstyle as it will put you toward the back of the subway. The signs in the subway station are well marked. Take the E toward Manhattan and stay on it until the 42nd Street stop. The reason why you want to be toward the back of the train is because that exit (for 42nd St) is on 44th Street and 8th Ave. If you prefer to go to 44nd and 6th Ave, you can get off at Lexington Ave (first stop in Manhattan) and wait for a V to come on the same track. You will be able to get a seat easily on the E---don't worry. If you change trains to the V, you might have to stand for the few stops to 42nd Street.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:58 am

You will see signs in the BA/United terminal directing you outside and to the Airtrain terminal. You'll see it regardless as you exit baggage claim (it's just behind the taxi stand).

Once in the Airtrain station, the trains to the subway stations leave on the outside track (meaning the track closest to the terminal). The other track is for the train that just loops around the terminal).

The only thing you have to be careful about is getting on the correct train - one goes to Howard Beach (where you can catch the A train), the other to Jamaica station. Last time I was there, there was still no obvious signage telling you which train is which - you just have to listen carefully for the destination. No big deal if you get on the wrong train as you can always get off and switch at the next terminal.

Last edited by StudentExplorer; Aug 17, 2004 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Once you go through the turnstyles in Jamaica, the easiest thing to do to catch the E is to go down the long massive escalators directly straight ahead from the turnstyle. At the bottom of the escalators, turn left and walk straight ahead under the LIRR tracks. You will then see another escalator leading you directly down to the subway.
I wanted to point out that the bypass connector is now open inside the Jamaica AIRTRAIN/ Jamaica LIRR stations. You do not have to take the escalators down to Sutphin Avenue anymore.

Take the second left after exiting the AIRTRAIN turnstiles. The first left is for the LIRR only, the second left (on the Sutphin Avenue side of the empty airport-style check in counters) takes you to a connecting concourse in the LIRR station, and above all of the mess on the streets. You will see the LIRR track signs as you walk through this concourse. At the end of this concourse are elevators -- the top level is the concourse you are standing on, the middle level is the street, and the bottom level is the subway station. After clearing the subway turnstile, you descend one level for the 'E' train, or two levels for the 'J/Z' train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.