Wiki Posts
Search

NYC during GOP Convention

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
NYC during GOP Convention

Just found out we're going to be in NYC, Upper East Side, but doing usual tourist sightseeing with our 13 year old, during the GOP Convention - if I don't wear my John Kerry button will we be impacted anyway?

While I'm at it, any excellent UES or 52nd Theater restaurants that our 13 year old would enjoy too would be appreciated. I definitely want to hit Paola's & a nice French brasserie - Orsay?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They keep saying security will be extreamly tight, for example trains coming into Penn Station will all be boarded and searched then allowed to go on. I would assume there will be security like at any major event or when the rest of the country goes to chartruse security or whatever, they may take way all the garbage cans, may have lots more dogs around sniffing you, etc.

Traffic should be a nightmare, and as recent stories this week in the paper have said, they are bringing in high priced call girls from all over the world.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cordelli
They keep saying security will be extreamly tight, for example trains coming into Penn Station will all be boarded and searched then allowed to go on.
Interesting that you mention Penn. I commute out of Penn twice a day so I'm wondering how that will be. I assume my morning commute will be pretty much normal as I take a 7:51am train. Returning to the city, my train arrives at 6:20 so that could be sticky. I hope not. I'm just relieved that the city isn't acting as stupidly as Boston is by closing one of their major train stations for the duration of the DNC convention.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's a story about closings and the rest here:

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...ines-manhattan

and from another story

. Penn Station: Stops for Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR, and seven subway lines; no train or subway car gets into the station without a search by bombsnifiing dogs.

What I had read previsosly is they will stop someplace (an earlier stop), every car will be boarded at once, swept by the dogs, then released to go on.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I take the E train to and from Penn. As long as it runs smoothely, I don't mind the dogs.

Would they prefer that passengers from the NJT, Amtrak, and the LIRR leave Penn by foot to walk to a different subway station or to hop onto the 7th & 8th Ave subways right from the station? I would think that the latter would be safer as the people would come and go quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.