Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What airport for Yankees and Mets Games?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2004, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium

I want to take my 9 year old and 5 year old to a Yankees game one day and a Mets game the next. We don't know anything about New York.

Can I safely and conveniently ride the train with them to both stadiums from the airport?
Where should I fly into?
Which Marriott hotels have good access to the same train?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 925
I want to take my 9 year old and 5 year old to a Yankees game one day and a Mets game the next. We don't know anything about New York.

Can I safely and conveniently ride the train with them to both stadiums from the airport?
Where should I fly into?
Which Marriott hotels have good access to the same train?
LGA is the most convenient for both Yankee and Shea Stadiums, but LGA is not served directly by any train or subway. If you are traveling to the stadium directly from the airport, for Shea Stadium, you can either take the Q-48 bus from LGA directly to Shea Stadium, or take a taxi (about a five-ten minute ride); for Yankee Stadium, take the M-60 bus to Manhattan, get off at Lexington Avenue and 125th Street, and transfer to a Bronx-bound #4 train to Yankee Stadium (161st Street/River Avenue). If you purchase a MetroCard from one of the newsstands at LGA before boarding the bus, you will get free transfers from the bus to the subway.

There is a Marriott near LGA, and the Q-48 bus stops in front of, and across the street from the hotel (depending on which direction you are traveling). The Marriott also offers a complimentary shuttle to the airport, where you can pick up the M-60 bus. If you prefer to stay in Manhattan, both the Marriott Eastside and the Marriott Marquis are relatively close to subways that can take you to both Yankee and Shea Stadiums, although you might have to change trains once.

For more information on NYC subways and buses, click on this link:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/index.html
Old Jun 21, 2004, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
FYI

Most of the time, the Yankees and Mets are not home on the same weekend. The only way to see both teams play in NY the same day is when they play each other. If you think you're going to get tickets for said game, you're out of luck. This is the hot series every year.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I would take a cab from LGA to Shea. Shea is possibly within sight of the airport. From Manhattan you can take the subway or the Long Island Railroad Port Washington Branch to Shea. Pretty easy ride on the Long Island, no change of trains from Penn Station. There are also hotels in Queens near Long Island Railroad stations or subway stations on that line.

You can take the subway from Manhattan to Yankee stadium as well. However, for a real treat for you and your son there is a ferry that makes a few stops in Manahattan and goes up the East River and stops at Yankee Stadium. It is a really fun way to get there. They have service for all the games. I dont have the link but maybe someone else can post it. It is more expensive than the subway but you get a great view of Manhattan as you ride the boat up the river.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
FYI

Most of the time, the Yankees and Mets are not home on the same weekend. The only way to see both teams play in NY the same day is when they play each other. If you think you're going to get tickets for said game, you're out of luck. This is the hot series every year.
Very true, when one is home, typically the other is away....except of course for Memorial Day weekend this year.

By the way, you still CAN get tickets to the Yankee/Mets game at Shea. My fiance and I did last night online and got great seats for the July 2 game.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:22 am
Original Poster

The ferry sounds like a real winner. Can someone post the link?

The games I am looking at are early September during the week. The first is a night game, followed by a day game (I don't have my calendar on the plane with me - yes, I am MIA-SDQ right now). Any problems with tickets during the week? Can I order tickets in advance to be sure?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:25 am
Original Poster

And if I fly into LGA and taxi to Shea, what do I do with my carry-on stuff?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:40 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Analise
Very true, when one is home, typically the other is away....except of course for Memorial Day weekend this year.

By the way, you still CAN get tickets to the Yankee/Mets game at Shea. My fiance and I did last night online and got great seats for the July 2 game.

Hmm, I just checked on the Mets site and all the games witht the Yankees are sold out. Did you get them from a secondary vendor? I did find some great seats available at $635 per ticket on the web. It did note this was more than the face value of the ticket
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's at nywaterway.com, then click on baseball cruises on the left side.

Be prepared, it's like joining a bunch of rabid people in <<inssert team name here>> baseball caps.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Back to back home games for each team for the rest of the year

June 24, 25

July 1, 2

July 20, 21
July 21, 22
July 22, 23

August 9, 10

Aug 22, 23

Aug 30, 31
Aug 31, Sep 1

Sep 1, 2
Sep 2, 3
Sep 9, 10
Sep 16, 17
Sep 23, 24

Sep 30, Oct 1

Not counting any where they play each other, June 25, 26 and 27, then again July 2, 3, and 4

I did this very quickly, so don't make any plans without doublechecking first at mets.com and yankees.com
Old Jun 21, 2004, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Selected games:

Sorry I didn't have my calendar earlier. The games I am looking at are:
Fly in from SEA 9/1 in time to get to the game.
Take ferry to Yankee Stadium?
9/1 NYY vs CLE at 7:05
Stay at some Marriott.
9/2 NYM vs FLA at 1:10
Fly home to SEA after the game.

Consensus is that I should fly into and out of LGA.
Probably stay at Marriott with free shuttle to LGA.
To take taxi from Shea to airport and/or Marriott.

I don't know best way to get back to the airport after the Yankees game.
I guess I can leave our bags at the hotel before the Yankees game until after the Mets game, and just stop both ways to drop off/pickup.

Any other advice?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 3:25 pm

thabnks for those dates, it great to know
Old Jun 22, 2004, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by 925
Any other advice?
Yes, leave your bags at the hotel. You can't even carry a briefcase into the stadiums let alone luggage. When you select your hotel, we can help you return there after the Yankees win.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:48 am

You might want to reserve the ferry tickets in advance also. Sometimes they sell out. It is a great way to go but does take a little longer than the subway. From Queens, it's probably quicker, though (no connections). I take it to Yankee Stadium from the east side of Manhattan sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.