Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Christmas in NYC, engagement suggestions.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas in NYC, engagement suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Christmas in NYC, proposal suggestions.

I plan on taking a trip to NYC between Christmas and New Year's and planned on asking my girlfriend to marry me. We will be arriving by Amtrak and staying two nights.
I would like to make this trip as memorable as possible and would like any suggestions on how to make it unforgettable.
She absolutely loves Christmas and this is why I chose this timeframe.
My original thoughts are to take a horse drawn carriage to a scenic location where we would get out and I would get down on one knee. I would like to get pictures of this and hoped the chaffeur would take the picture as I asked her.
Are there any locations people could suggest doing this and what kind of pricing is there for these rides? Do I ask my hotel for help in planning this and are they willing to do something special themselves? What kind of price do they charge for this?
Any other suggestions for popping the question? Keeping in mind that I am still a college student and price is important.
I would also like to keep her from finding out, so it makes it more difficult to plan it once I am already there.

Last edited by spudsm3; Jun 15, 2004 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would have suggested the horse drwan ride through central park. Check out

http://www.centralpark2000.com/datab...age_rides.html

For contact numbers and pricing, it's like $35 for the first 20 minutes, then $20 for another 30 minutes.

Remember, the chance of snow is virtually nill in New York City while you are here, a white christmas is a very unusual thing.

The other option is to go down to Rockerfeller Center and propose at the tree there, it will be much more crowded and not as intimate, but it's certainly Christmassy.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Drinks at the Oak Room in the Plaza Hotel? *
Aboard the Staten Island ferry?
With Flyertalkers at a restaurant?

* Best idea. @:-)
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you decide to propose in Central Park, I recommend taking the longer carriage ride. On the 20 minute ride, carriages are in front of you and behind you. There isn't that much privacy and I'm not sure how long the driver will stop knowing that his stopping will back up the line behind him. So if you add another 30 minutes, the driver will go further and perhaps won't have many other carriages behind him. Thus you might have more flexibility.

You sound like such a romantic and I hope you share with us afterwards what you decided to do and of course if she said "YES"!
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:26 am

I also like the carriage ride idea. If you can do it, however, the restaurant One if By Land, TIBS, which is actually in a former downtown carriage house, may be the ultimate choice.

Best wishes.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Thanks for the comments.
I've heard that the area around the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center is roped off and that if you know the right people they can get you closer. If I could get closer I would like to possibly propose there with additional tricks up my sleeve. Does anyone have any idea who I could contact about this?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
central park -- belvedere castle

I proposed at Belvedere castle in the summer on a "parapet". it was nice overlooking the park.

the park could be covered in snow at the time you are going, winter wonderland maybe?
Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spudsm3
Thanks for the comments.
I've heard that the area around the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center is roped off and that if you know the right people they can get you closer. If I could get closer I would like to possibly propose there with additional tricks up my sleeve. Does anyone have any idea who I could contact about this?
I'm not sure what you are talking about. You can get as close to the tree as you like...maybe not within a few feet of the trunk but very close. You, that is, and millions of others.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:04 am

Central Park has a lot of nice areas in it. One idea is Wolman Ice Skating rink, which has a view of the Plaza Hotel. Rock Center is more poplular but is quite small for a rink and is always crowded.

Keep in mind that from Labor Day to Christman, NYC hotel rooms are nearly booked solid and prices go up. It pays to make an early reservation.

Circle cruise of manhattan is another idea, although that may be chilly.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:06 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Beekman Tower is a cool art deco style hotel located on the eastside of NYC,
very romantic bar at the top with nice views, candlelight, good music. A broker of mine was engaged here.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:48 am

Try Brooklyn

since I despise those horse carriage things, I was searching for another alternative and I came across one last week when I was in Grimaldi's for lunch. There was an article from one of of the local tabloids framed on the wall about best places to propose! Of course the featured location was at the River Cafe, under the Brooklyn Bridge, just a block from Grimaldi's. Certainly a beautiful location, and since it's indoors, weather shouldn't be a concern. I'm sure with the proper planning and prodding of the staff, you can get yourself a great table, right by the water, overlooking the Manhattan skyline. If mother nature cooperates and gives you a clear night, it could be quite spectacular.

If you really want to splurge, you could take her to Tiffany's on the pretense of needing to do some Xmas shopping, buy her a ring and propose right there at the counter. I'm sure that she and your wallet will remember it for a very long time.

Last edited by maisany; Jun 29, 2004 at 11:51 am Reason: Added another idea. Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.