Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bday Dinner Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Bday Dinner Suggestions?

Treating my sister to a birthday dinner when she comes to visit me in a few weeks. She used to live here but moved to Florida 4 years ago and hasn't been back since.

So I kind of would like to take her to someplace that's new, maybe on the trendier side, and innovative. I was thinking something along the lines of WD-50 (assuming I could even get a reservation). Does anyone have any other good suggestions I should consider?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Treating my sister to a birthday dinner when she comes to visit me in a few weeks. She used to live here but moved to Florida 4 years ago and hasn't been back since.

So I kind of would like to take her to someplace that's new, maybe on the trendier side, and innovative. I was thinking something along the lines of WD-50 (assuming I could even get a reservation). Does anyone have any other good suggestions I should consider?

Thanks!
Save "trendy" for another occasion. Since she is a former New Yorker, why not offer to take her to her favorite restaurant. Now THAT would be a wonderful birthday present.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Save "trendy" for another occasion. Since she is a former New Yorker, why not offer to take her to her favorite restaurant. Now THAT would be a wonderful birthday present.
We've actually discussed that. Since she's been gone for so long, she actually does want to try something new.

I more or less said "trendy" to capture the feel of what I am looking for in terms of ambiance/decor etc. This is my sister after all - not a romantic date :-)
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
We've actually discussed that. Since she's been gone for so long, she actually does want to try something new.

I more or less said "trendy" to capture the feel of what I am looking for in terms of ambiance/decor etc. This is my sister after all - not a romantic date :-)
Trust me, romance never even occured to me! LOL

Ok....to help out, we'll need help from you:

1. What kinds of cuisine does she like?
2. Any neighborhoods she particularly likes?
3. Most important, what is your budget!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Think about the Chef's Theatre, all the trendy chefs making a three course meal with some really tacky (according to the people on the radio today) dancing and whatever in between. It's a cool way to get decent food at a good price. There is a discount code posted in another thread here.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Ok. . . more details . . .

1) Not limiting my budget.

2) She likes pretty much any kind of food and is fairly adventurous in her eating. I am trying to stay away from anything Asian since I feel good Asian food can be gotten so cheaply - particularly Thai and Vietnamese. I have heard, though, that Spice Market is really good.

3) In terms of location - would prefer LES, Tribeca, Village, and Meat-packing district. Pretty much below 14th St. - though I wouldn't mind going a little farther up - just not looking for UWS or UES.

At this point, I am leaning towards WD-50. Someone also recommended 71 Clinton Fresh Food. I guess I'm thinking New American here . . .

Last edited by StudentExplorer; Apr 27, 2004 at 7:29 am
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:11 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Jack's Luxury Oyster Bar. It isnt just an oyster bar. Very small place. There was an article about the owners in this past weekends Sunday Times Magazine. Very small, very innovative. Most excellent food and service. Its in the East Village.

Another place is Mix. Been there once, it was wonderful. It is the "low cost" new place (last fall maybe) opened by Alain Ducasse. It specializes in "comfort food" that Ducasse and the chef (Italian family from Long Island I think) had as children. Very, very trendy crowd and decor. Cheap for Ducasse in this case is about $150-$200 per person.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Apr 27, 2004 at 8:16 am
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

After much major effort, a friend arranged a short notice booking at the aforementioned "Spice Market" for last Thursday night. I'd say it's more a huge bar with restaurant attached than anything else. Some really creative dishes -- and some really ordinary dishes. They are served in the order convenient to the chefs which means that the best dish of the evening, a delicate lobster dish, arrived AFTER heavy beef and pork dishes. Very noisy, but other than that, quite an attractive setting. Filled with young, beautiful, probably unapproachable women (at least by me!). My friend called it a "go once" place and I'd agree.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 6:39 am

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
Consider Savoy, Coup, The Independent, Barrio, Prune, First, and 27 Standard.

For food + scene, perhaps Casa Mono, Sala, or Meet.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
The last time I was in NYC I had a very nice meal at The Red Cat on 10th Ave (between 23rd and 24th St.). Festive yet cozy (and not too loud) atmosphere, nice little bar for a drink while waiting for your table, very good food and great service. I thought the prices were quite reasonable (especially for NYC!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.