Why take the AirTrain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why take the AirTrain?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2004, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: Stamford, CT - AA Lifetime Plat - 3MM and counting. Mosaic.
Why take the AirTrain?

A taxi from either JFK or LGA to Manhattan is about $33 plus tip. If you are 1 or 2 people, and you want to take your luggage to the train ($5.00 pp), take it to Jamaica, transfer to the subway ($1.50 pp)take it to NYC, (most likely) transfer subway lines to get where you want to go, and then haul your luggage to your destination, I guess you are ahead of the game. If you transfer to the LIRR to get where you are going, it is already a wash. There are not a lot of people out there for whom this method of transit makes sense.

Similarly, I needed to get from JFK to LGA and the AirTrain does not even make that connection, so I took a cab - $21 plus tip.

Seems to me the AirTrain is a $2 billion boondoggle.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:02 pm

The airtrains are incredibly predictable. Who knows when a cab will take an extra hour? I prefer to "cut it close" on Airtrain schedule than give tons of extra time to compensate for any traffic in the cab.

That's why I like it.

Whether it's woth 2 bil is another story. JFK Airtrain really only exists to make it "even" with Newark. Newark's Airtrain is 100% positive, IMO.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can only mention JFK as Airtrain has nothing to do with LGA.

It is still less money (even with 2 people) to take the Airtrain to Jamaica and then take the LIRR into the city than to take a taxi into Manhattan as you must pay $35 plus tolls and tip.

I visited the Airtrain station yesterday and will write about it in Travelbuzz's thread about my impressions of the Airtrain.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Good points all. But my question has always been: If you're gonna spend 2 billion dollars on airtrain, why the heck not make it go all the way into Manhattan? Airtrain can't compare to the easy public transport into the city from airports such as O'Hare, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, Reagan National, and I'm sure I'm, missing a couple in some cities I haven't traveled to. This is a huge boondogle IMO.

Only in New York. Only in New York.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tonypct:
Good points all. But my question has always been: If you're gonna spend 2 billion dollars on airtrain, why the heck not make it go all the way into Manhattan? Airtrain can't compare to the easy public transport into the city from airports such as O'Hare, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, Reagan National, and I'm sure I'm, missing a couple in some cities I haven't traveled to. This is a huge boondogle IMO.

</font>
You sound like Cindy Adams. I don't know why the tracks laid down to JFK could not be made to join the LIRR tracks at Jamaica. Maybe the PA and the LIRR could not agree. Does seem particularly stupid.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:50 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
wildblu posted Jan 08, 2004 08:23 AM
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr.../012398-3.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Just saw this in today's local paper. Maybe another option to JFK years and more $$ down the road.

quote: "Four options for a direct rail link from lower Manhattan to Kennedy Airport will be unveiled this month and one will be selected in April for development, Gov. Pataki announced yesterday"

http://www.nydailynews.com/01-08-200...p-134588c.html </font>
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:14 pm

Pataki is also talking about completing the 2nd Ave subway. I wouldn't hold your breath on this article.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:55 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tonypct:
This is a huge boondogle IMO.

</font>
Well at least you have a train that connects to the airport. When they built the Metro Green Line in LA, they made it go right near LAX but not connect into the terminal. That is just about as bad.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Took it both ways yesterday on Saturday...for the $$ it's certainly a great deal vs. taxis. Took the subway instead of the LIRR at Jamaica Station--the subway line has a stop that opens directly into Bloomies! (-:

I also like using the Airtrain airport loop (the platforms are clearly marked) to ride to Terminal 4 (lots of international airlines). They have an outstanding food court--Miss Sylvia's Soul Food is my personal favorite w/a buffet style line of pretty healthy eats including black eyed peas, samosas (who knew it was soul food?) and other veggies. There's also some internet kiosks (some look like regular phone carrels) and a desk w/a single internet connection.

btw--the airport loop lets you look down on the parked airplanes...saw an 'Uzbekistan Air' plane...very cool.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: AC *E
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
btw--the airport loop lets you look down on the parked airplanes...saw an 'Uzbekistan Air' plane...very cool.[/B]</font>
You saw their plane? I thought it had been seized for unpaid landing fees in South America.....

Seriously, though, I had the opportunity to see and use the AirTrain at 3 airports (JFK, EWR, SFO) during an MR this weekend. They all seem to have a number of common characteristics: (1) they look like they were really, really expensive to build, which also means that they are clean, modern, apparently well-maintained, etc. (2) they are not used very much (at least during the hours that I was using each) and in fact there appeared to be more employees using them than pax, and (3) they all appear to have been designed by bureaucrats - even though they are all relatively simple in concept (how complex can a one-line railway be??), they can still manage to be confusing for first-time users.

On the cost issue at JFK, for a single pax the A line to Howard Beach and the AirTrain transfer was easy and a lot cheaper than a taxi/limo. Total time was about 45 minutes from lower Manhattan, which combined with the time to get in the station and wait for the next train may make it a bit longer than a taxi, but sometimes I have had to wait for them as well. I only had carryon and therefore was not fazed by all the stairs on the subway, but this would be an issue if I had a lot of bags. I would take the subway/AirTrain again to JFK, but not every time.

[Edited because I cannot type or spell!]

------------------
Oh Canada!
Standing on guard for thee...

[This message has been edited by ohcanada (edited Feb 02, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by ohcanada (edited Feb 02, 2004).]
Old Feb 2, 2004, 5:59 pm

I've used the airtrain twice already in combination with the E train connection at Jamaica. Both times this method was quick (relatively speaking), the connection was easy, it was cheaper then a cab (as 1 person) and more reliable. I only had carry on luggage which made the subway ride easier then if I had larger bags.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 1:00 am
Suspended

As the City of New York has just announced increased taxi fares: JFK -&gt; Manhattan goes from $35 to $45 fixed rate.

Keeping this in mind, the Airtrain keeps looking better and better.

I used it in January, 2004 in conjunction w/ the LIRR and I arrived at Penn Sta. a mere 40 minutes after picking up my bags at Terminal 4.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 8:55 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JeremyZ:
The airtrains are incredibly predictable.</font>
Wrong!!! I've used the AirTrain 2x since it opened. Both times, the wait for a train from Federal Circle (Station C, rental cars) was AT LEAST 20 minutes, way beyond their promised schedule. They claimed it was due to the weather. Yeah right.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 6:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
Wrong!!! I've used the AirTrain 2x since it opened. Both times, the wait for a train from Federal Circle (Station C, rental cars) was AT LEAST 20 minutes, way beyond their promised schedule. They claimed it was due to the weather. Yeah right. </font>
I dunno how many times I've taken the EWR airtrain - 20 maybe? Never a real problem. At night the monorail can get slower, but it's within reason.

Never taken the JFK airtrain, but your experience is the first I've heard like that.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 1:29 pm

Location: New York, NY AA EXP 1MM, Go Arsenal! Yanks in 2006!
I was on the Airtrain today and had to wait 25 min. for a train going to Jamaica station.

I have been on it, IIRC, 6 times this year and have had minor to crazy delays/ & a hiccup (where the train stopped at terminal 7, closed it doors, moved about an inch, reopened the door & said it was terminal 8,9 prompting a woman who wanted to go to terminal 9 to get out) in half of those trips.

I can't wait for them to get the da-- bugs out.

[This message has been edited by Ksimp (edited Feb 17, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.