Why take the AirTrain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why take the AirTrain?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Tried the Airtrain on 2 occasions only to discover it is more expensive but no more convenient or faster than other alternatives.

I traveled Airtrain Jfk - Jamaica in the late weekday afternoon, then used the E train($7.) and probably arrived at 74th/Bway, Jackson Hts a little faster than Q-10 to Kew Gardens and E train($3.)

Returning to Jfk late morning from midtown, waited 20 minutes for A to Howard Beach,
then waited at least another 10 minutes for Airtrain($7.), A to Lefferts Blvd and Q-10 would have been faster($2.).

The apparent advantage with Airtrain is if going to Long island or Penn Station.

[This message has been edited by dlflyer2 (edited Mar 07, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by dlflyer2 (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
Old Mar 12, 2004, 3:34 pm

I flew on an evening flight into JFK this past Sunday night and as an experiment decided to try the Airtrain/subway route to get to my apartment on the UES. It took me 75 minutes from Terminal 9 to 77th St. and Lexington. While that is nothing to be excited about I have to say it is probably about the longest it will ever take and could be shortened considerably. Here's why:

I waited only about 10 minutes for the Jamaica train. This after two trains went by, one to Howard Beach, another inside loop train. This was on a Sunday night, so I think their frequency is up now.

I waited over 20 minutes for the E train to head into the city. Even at 10pm on a Sunday night it was fairly crowded. On weekend evenings the E runs local into the city which is something of a bummer as it adds a bit of time to the ride. However, you can switch to the express F at, I believe, Forest Hills.

At 59th and Lex I waited about 10 minutes for an uptown local.

I think that given the time of day that I traveled I did ok. It's definately possible to have a quicker trip, here's what I'd do:
  • Hope for a better connection at Jamaica, could save a lot of time.
  • Switch to the express F and then just cab the last bit to my home. That would have shaved 15 minutes off the trip for sure.
I'd do it again, but only if I had lots of patience. I think the main benefit of the ride would be to avoid serious traffic headaches and to get to the LIRR or Penn Station.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Airtrain or walk from JFK 6 to 7?

A quick question for the JFK experts. I will be coming into JFK on JetBlue in T6 and going out on Iceland Air in T7. If my JB flight is delayed, I might need to pull an O.J. to catch my flight (not double murder, but rather the O.J. sprint of the old Hertz commercials).

I know I can take the Airtrain, but could I just walk/run from 6 to 7? The JFK site doesn't seem to indicate if that is possible.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhuey
A quick question for the JFK experts. I will be coming into JFK on JetBlue in T6 and going out on Iceland Air in T7. If my JB flight is delayed, I might need to pull an O.J. to catch my flight (not double murder, but rather the O.J. sprint of the old Hertz commercials).

I know I can take the Airtrain, but could I just walk/run from 6 to 7? The JFK site doesn't seem to indicate if that is possible.

6 to 7 is about a 2-3 minute walk. I think you can manage!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Walking is probably faster and maybe even easier than the AirTrain for such a short distance. You don't have to go up to the train level and down again to the ground. You don't have to wait for a train (even if it's just 3-4 minutes). You can walk closer to the terminals, saving the distance -- twice -- to the AirTrain route.

Bruce
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What dhammer53 and bdschobel said. Terminals 6/7 are right next to each other and probably two of the easiest terminals at JFK to walk between.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jtframe.htm
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks, folks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any barrier or prohibition that would prevent me from walking or running from 6 to 7.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I have a generally positive feeling toward AIRTRAIN. Particularly now that the taxi fare has been increased, it is a wonderful and inexpensive alternative to Midtown or Downtown. For other parts of the city, it may not be as useful.

I can make it Midtown-JFK or v.v. in under one hour (usually 50 minutes) door to terminal. That is what it takes in moderate traffic in a taxi. In contrast, it takes me 35 minutes to get to LGA which is half as far. (N train to Astoria to M60 bus).

Also, the AIRTRAIN provides a choice when traffic is truly awful. A better connection to the E train at Jamaica would be nice. Perhaps when they finish the remodel of the LIRR station.

Finally, this now means that if I am going to eastern L.I., I will travel into JFK and connect to the LIRR at Jamaica. Much easier than dealing with LaGuardia if going to the Hamptons.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:33 pm

for us Nyers the airtrain is great, and cuts alot of time even though you have to walk up those stairs and platforms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.