Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Seen Helen Hunt in "Life x 3"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

I'm a Helen Hunt fan, and I'd like to see her new play on Broadway, but I'm concerned about the mixed reviews: USA Today liked it, New York Times panned it, and the Bergen Record was somewhere in between.

Have any FTers seen it?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We were gonna go see it (tickets are very low priced, check out

http://www.broadwayoffers.com/index....EM3&Source=000

for tickets for $52.50 (usually $80) to it or call Telecharge at 212-947-8844 and mention code: LXTCEM3

I too am a huge Helen Hunt fan, though still not sure if it's worth it.

But with all the hassles of Urban Cowboy closing and opening in a 24 hour period, the Helen Keller one being put off and the bad reviews in the Times for this (and we usually agree much more with the Times then USA Today) we decided to wait. But if you do go hopefully the discounts will help.

Old Apr 3, 2003, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Reviews are reviews. Typically what they pan I like and the reverse holds true. If you are a fan of Helen Hunt, see the performance anyway. You really have nothing to lose as you will walk away pleased you saw her perform on stage. This is how I am with actors I like but who happen to be in plays which do not interest me at all or have had mixed reviews. Go for the fun of seeing a favorite actress.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for emboldening me. I'm going.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 0524:
Thanks for emboldening me. I'm going.</font>
Glad to hear that! Do give us a review afterwards. We review airlines here; why not theatre?
Old Apr 6, 2003, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
IMO, Lifex3 is not much of a play as it is now being performed in New York. Although the performances are good (maybe except for Turturro who many will accuse of overacting). I had seen Hunt recently a couple of times at the Beaumont in Twelfth Night, where she gave a performance that I thought was memorable, but here she did not have much of a role to sink her teeth into.
Each of the three one-acters that purport to show how a slight change in circumstance can deeply affect outcomes and behavior but most of what happened seemed to to be changed mostly by the author having written some of the characters so completely differently in each play that in each they may have just as well have been different people.
I thought that the Hunt role(s) was not especially challenging, although there is no question that she has a certain magnetism, which transports very easily in a theater like Circle in the Square, where almost everybody is very close to the action on the floor. That also may be the reason that I did not like Turturro's performance, for there was not enough subtlety there for the small room.
The dialogue is not bad, so that it is not the fault of the translation from the French, which frequently is the problem with drama written in another language. I understand that it was the same translator who did the author's interesting last play called "Art".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.