Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newark Connection from AC to Singapore Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Newark Connection from AC to Singapore Airlines

Looking for some advice for a newark connection from air canada to singapore airlines booked on a single ticket.

We will be flying from Pearson, to Newark , to singapore and then on to bali, on a single ticket booked through singapore airlines. The leg from toronto to Newark is through partner airline air canada.

We have a two hour layover in newark on a saturday morning, and will need to get from terminal A to Terminal B. I now read that we may have to get our bags, leave a secure area and transfer to another terminal which is concerning. Singapore airlines seems to think this is a doable connection when I ask.

Does anyone have any advice? Will i be able to check my bag straight through? Any insight on connecting from Terminal A to B in newark? We could try and travel with only carry ons but it will be difficult to keep it under the 7kg weight limit.

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:59 am
formerly rt23456p

You need to go through border control twice, as per the US law.

DISREGARD

Last edited by PES_B1; Aug 16, 2023 at 11:38 am
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:04 am
Original Poster

At Toronto , the airport has US customs that allows you to clear customs and immigration before boarding your flight
rt23456p and billygoat27 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by rt23456p
What?

OP: Given this is one ticket, there should be no issue with checking bags all the way through. You can change terminal by using the AirTrain between Terminals A&B. You'll need to clear security again in Terminal B.

This is a doable connection - assuming AC in on time - which these days the odds are they won't be. Add EWR/NYC on top of that...I'd be looking for a longer connection, but that's just me.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Aug 16, 2023 at 10:30 am
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
If things look dicey, there may be a UA flight leaving around the same time.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by rt23456p
What?

A person flying YYZ-EWR-SIN will clear US Customs only once, prior to leaving YYZ.

...if they then fly SIN-EWR-YYZ on the return leg, they will clear US Customs on arrival at EWR.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Immigration will be cleared once at YYZ. But security will have to be cleared twice, once at YYZ and again at EWR Terminal B.

Also, there's no airtrain from Terminal A to B, since the airtrain does not extend to the new Terminal A. OP would need to either need to: 1) take landside bus shuttle from A to B, or 2) take airside shuttle from A to B. But note that the airside B gates are not where SQ departs out of, OP will need to exit sterile area and reclear security to the B-gates where SQ departs from.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 11:37 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by YOWgary
What?

A person flying YYZ-EWR-SIN will clear US Customs only once, prior to leaving YYZ.

...if they then fly SIN-EWR-YYZ on the return leg, they will clear US Customs on arrival at EWR.
Forgotten about the us facilities at canadian ports
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
OP, there are no airside transfer to B2 where SQ operates. You will need to self transfer from Terminal A to Terminal B (concourse 2). Given the new Terminal A, this is no longer an easy transfer anymore. Good luck.

Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
If things look dicey, there may be a UA flight leaving around the same time.
No there isn't. UA does not and has never flown NYC to SIN nonstop.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Immigration will be cleared once at YYZ. But security will have to be cleared twice, once at YYZ and again at EWR Terminal B.

Also, there's no airtrain from Terminal A to B, since the airtrain does not extend to the new Terminal A. OP would need to either need to: 1) take landside bus shuttle from A to B, or 2) take airside shuttle from A to B. But note that the airside B gates are not where SQ departs out of, OP will need to exit sterile area and reclear security to the B-gates where SQ departs from.
Not sure if airside bus is a good idea. Does it stop at B3 both ways?

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
What?

OP: Given this is one ticket, there should be no issue with checking bags all the way through. You can change terminal by using the AirTrain between Terminals A&B. You'll need to clear security again in Terminal B.

This is a doable connection - assuming AC in on time - which these days the odds are they won't be. Add EWR/NYC on top of that...I'd be looking for a longer connection, but that's just me.
​​​​​​​
Airtrain is not directly located next to A, and requires some navigation for an infrequent traveler to EWR. Bus may be easiest in this case, I think.

​​​​​​​There is really no easy connection, given SQ leaves early in the morning, and there is only one flight per day.

Last edited by Repooc17; Aug 16, 2023 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 16, 2023, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. The advice is must appreciated.

I have never been to Newark and was not alive to the potential issues here. Learned my lesson. I booked the only itinerary Sinapore Airlines was showing me on my dates. We will have to do our best to make it work at this point and live with missing a couple days of vacation if things go amiss.

I dont think the airside shuttle is running from a to b in the morning. The newark airport website says 1pm-11pm.

Is there another shuttle gate side? Or walking and train is my only option? Are there cabs that would take me? We were thinking about carry on only to save time picking up bags but if they might be checked through it might not matter. Not checking the connections more closely was a total screw up on my part. I just made a stupid assumption that when i booked on one ticket it would be flights that would have doable connections.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by flyer12345678
Thanks. The advice is must appreciated.

I have never been to Newark and was not alive to the potential issues here. Learned my lesson. I booked the only itinerary Sinapore Airlines was showing me on my dates. We will have to do our best to make it work at this point and live with missing a couple days of vacation if things go amiss.

I dont think the airside shuttle is running from a to b in the morning. The newark airport website says 1pm-11pm.

Is there another shuttle gate side? Or walking and train is my only option? Are there cabs that would take me? We were thinking about carry on only to save time picking up bags but if they might be checked through it might not matter. Not checking the connections more closely was a total screw up on my part. I just made a stupid assumption that when i booked on one ticket it would be flights that would have doable connections.
Airside shuttle won't help you. B terminal is split into three concourses, and none of the concourses are connected airside. Even if the airside shuttle bus runs in the morning to Terminal B (I don't believe it does, given the purpose is for *A operating out of B3 - Terminal B concourse 3), you would need to clear security again, as SQ operates out of concourse 2.

Yes, there are cabs and rideshare just outside of A, as well as landside inter-termonal bus.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Does anyone have any advice on quickest option? Cab from terminal A to B, landside inter terminal bus or walk to air train then take it from A to B?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:38 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
If things really go south, since SQ owns the ticket, you could probably ask to be rebooked on SQ23 or 25 from JFK that night. You would lose 12 hours and have to take a taxi to JFK, which would certainly be no fun, but probably better than spending the night and losing a full day or more of vacation.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:39 pm

If you're on a single ticket they should be able to check bags through to SIN so you don't have to claim/recheck at EWR. That said, with interline (and interterminal) connections like this, there's a higher than typical chance that the bags don't make the connection, so if you do check bags I would bring your toothbrush and a day or two worth of clothing in your carryon just in case the bags are delayed.

As far as YOU getting from A to B, I think your best bet is probably the P6 parking bus, which is a landside bus that's mainly intended for getting passengers to the economy parking lot, but I'm pretty sure stops at terminals A, B, and C in sequence en route to the parking lot. EWR's website says it runs roughly every 10 minutes, but it looks slightly more frequent right now on the real-time tracking page (the P6 buses are the green ones):
https://ewrshuttle.passiogo.com/

The other options are a cab (which will probably be fastest, but may involve an irate cab driver due to the short trip) or the AirTrain. While the AirTrain (which is landside) doesn't actually connect to Terminal A, it's supposed to be a 14 minute walk or a 10 minute bus ride (take the "Shuttle to AirTrain" bus--the yellow ones on the above tracking website).

Bottom line: unless your AC flight is significantly delayed, 2 hours should be plenty of time. The connection is definitely annoying, but seems quite do-able.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyer12345678
Thank you! Does anyone have any advice on quickest option? Cab from terminal A to B, landside inter terminal bus or walk to air train then take it from A to B?

Train from A to B takes 18 seconds - the only issue is walking from the new A to the train - 2 hours is TONS of time
B has 3 separate security areas, 3 separate gate areas and 3 separate security lines for each one. It is rare for the line to be more than 50 people total - it goes smooth
One thing about B - most of the food and stuff is OUTSIDE security - once you get thru security food and beverage options are limited at best.

I would check the bus at A, as the new bus has different stops since the new A was put in place.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.