Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping drivers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Tipping drivers

I'd like to know how you tip drivers. Do you tip based on total fare or base fare? On a recent trip from EWR to downtown Manhattan my fare was Fare: $56.00
Tolls: $21.98 Airport Fee: $2.50 Total: $80.48. Would you tip based on $56 or based on total $80.48?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lavedder
I'd like to know how you tip drivers. Do you tip based on total fare or base fare? On a recent trip from EWR to downtown Manhattan my fare was Fare: $56.00
Tolls: $21.98 Airport Fee: $2.50 Total: $80.48. Would you tip based on $56 or based on total $80.48?
I would tip on the fare, or maybe the fare plus the airport fee. Never on the tolls.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by guv1976
I would tip on the fare, or maybe the fare plus the airport fee. Never on the tolls.
I agree, though I certainly would not tip below 20% of the base fare.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:54 pm

$15-20 is a good tip. I don't tend to look at the total.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
$15-20 is a good tip. I don't tend to look at the total.
For any ride?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Tip on the $56 fare.

FYI, on restaurant bills, I tip on the meal cost. I never tip on the added tax. Many times that requires a manual tip.

dh
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
For any ride?
EWR/JFK to Manhattan. There are always exceptions but those are uncommon.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Tip on the $56 fare.

FYI, on restaurant bills, I tip on the meal cost. I never tip on the added tax. Many times that requires a manual tip.

dh
+1 on both taxis and restaurants. I never tip on the added tolls, surcharges, etc. I usually give 20% rounded up to make it an even dollar amount. Same with restaurants. I never tip on the tax. 20-25% tip based on the base food and drink total depending on the service.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:02 pm
mjm
Original Member

I tip (and generally at about 20% in cash to the driver directly) only if the driver goes beyond the expected and already paid for service. i.e. helping with a heavy bag, waiting longer, making a stop, just being generally nice and having a good chat, etc. Tipping for me is not part of the cost but a reward fro extra service. I am always quick and generous to acknowledge it, but also very aware when somebody does the bare minimum.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Yes, if you wish not to tip on surcharges, tolls, one has to manually input it. I tend to overtip a bit because I am in a hurry to get out of a car and the itemization is not always there. Thank you for your responses.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mjm
I tip (and generally at about 20% in cash to the driver directly) only if the driver goes beyond the expected and already paid for service. i.e. helping with a heavy bag, waiting longer, making a stop, just being generally nice and having a good chat, etc. Tipping for me is not part of the cost but a reward fro extra service. I am always quick and generous to acknowledge it, but also very aware when somebody does the bare minimum.
I do not know what is the tipping custom in your home country, but here tips are expected and part of the drivers salary! If someone does extra, I tip extra- but safely getting me to my destination and handing me my bags is their job and there are almost no times when they should not be tipped!

Bottom line, if you are visiting the US, you don’t have to like our systems or culture- but you should respect it and follow it!
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:19 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I do not know what is the tipping custom in your home country, but here tips are expected and part of the drivers salary! If someone does extra, I tip extra- but safely getting me to my destination and handing me my bags is their job and there are almost no times when they should not be tipped!

Bottom line, if you are visiting the US, you don’t have to like our systems or culture- but you should respect it and follow it!
Thanks for the lecture. I was born and raised in the US, but in line with the principles of our country, I think independently. My opinion in this case is that extra service earns extra money, no extra service earns no extra money. I believe tipping is related to service which exceeds the norm. Or in the case of restaurant staff underpaid by poor hourly ages in some states as a standard addition to the bill to augment their wages.

Perhaps doing as we each se fit regarding the providing extra payment is the best way to go in a society that is free to choose as is the case in America. And maybe be a little less preachy at the same time
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awayIgo

How can it be a tip and also be a part of the salary?

A tip by definition is not part of the salary.
mjm and galeaoguy like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For restaurants in NYC doubling the sales tax was always an “easy” way to compute the tip.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
For restaurants in NYC doubling the sales tax was always an “easy” way to compute the tip.
True, if you’re a low tipper. 🙂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.