Reload this Page >

Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory starting April 1st. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution.
https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-t...vel-/10406872/
Print Wikipost

Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by nycityny
The quarantine isn't/wasn't driven by the level of Covid in New York. It was created to prevent other states from bringing infections into New York. In fact, it started when case numbers were very low in NY and applied only to states that met a certain threshold. Eventually every state, including NY, blew threw that low threshold by up to ten times over and so the quarantine was applied to everyone outside the area.

What the rules will be in April is unknown but they will likely still exist. Cuomo seems to like the quarantine. Will there be an exemption for those who have been vaccinated by then? Who knows?
I was referring to the opening of indoor dining which is a result of lower COVID numbers as an indicator.

As for guessing at what Cuomo will do, my guess is his strategy will change in face of this type of news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/n...mes-cuomo.html
Old Feb 16, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The quarantine isn't/wasn't driven by the level of Covid in New York. It was created to prevent other states from bringing infections into New York. In fact, it started when case numbers were very low in NY and applied only to states that met a certain threshold. Eventually every state, including NY, blew threw that low threshold by up to ten times over and so the quarantine was applied to everyone outside the area.

What the rules will be in April is unknown but they will likely still exist. Cuomo seems to like the quarantine. Will there be an exemption for those who have been vaccinated by then? Who knows?
Originally Posted by stimpy
I was referring to the opening of indoor dining which is a result of lower COVID numbers as an indicator.

As for guessing at what Cuomo will do, my guess is his strategy will change in face of this type of news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/n...mes-cuomo.html
He might not even be around by April...
LETTERBOY and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Couple of recent experiences:

- Rochester
Check-in agent at Charlotte made repeated announcements about needing to scan a QR code or collect a form and fill it in before landing. At the airport, members of the National Guard were checking forms, green ticks and handing out forms, just before you went down to baggage claim. My Green Tick sufficed.

- La Guardian - Terminal B
No announcements or forms at Charlotte,
At the bottom of the escalators was a man at a desk, shouting about $10k fines for not having filled in the form. Many people were doing it but there were no further checks before leaving the terminal.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 4:07 pm
SBT

Chances of avoiding Covid restrictions upon arrival at JFK

Bought a round trip ticket for a 4 days stay, LAX-JFK. Have been vaccinated and will complete the traveler form, but no way am I going to get a Covid Test or quarantine. Based on the above postings:
1. Can I assume with a 99% probably the worst that will occur is that I will be checked for completion of the form, hand it in be given a green mark and be on my way? Will not be asked to show proof of a recent Covid test?
2. Can I avoid this completely and increase my percentage to 100% by flying into EWR and take the coach to the Port Authority? Or will the same guards at JFK appear at the Port Authority?
3. Return flight is from JFK to LAX. Prior to boarding at JFK could I be asked to produce documents indicating a Quarantine and a Covid Test and failure to do so will forbid me from boarding my return flight?
Thanks for your help,
SBT
Old Feb 28, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SBT
Bought a round trip ticket for a 4 days stay, LAX-JFK. Have been vaccinated and will complete the traveler form, but no way am I going to get a Covid Test or quarantine. Based on the above postings:
1. Can I assume with a 99% probably the worst that will occur is that I will be checked for completion of the form, hand it in be given a green mark and be on my way? Will not be asked to show proof of a recent Covid test?
2. Can I avoid this completely and increase my percentage to 100% by flying into EWR and take the coach to the Port Authority? Or will the same guards at JFK appear at the Port Authority?
3. Return flight is from JFK to LAX. Prior to boarding at JFK could I be asked to produce documents indicating a Quarantine and a Covid Test and failure to do so will forbid me from boarding my return flight?
Thanks for your help,
SBT
1. You wouldn't be asked for your COVID test but based on the information you provided on the form, NYS officers might do a house/hotel visit and might check if you are there. If you are staying for for your first 3 days, you would need to be in your house/hotel room all the time, for days 4-14, you would need a negative COVID test to show them that you used the test out option. Currently NYS does not offer any privilege of skipping quarantine for vaccinated travelers. Although a check by the officers do not happen to everyone but it's not worth the risk for a hefty monetary fine if you get caught.
2. Yes, this is a more sensible idea. You could also use a NJ Transit train to access NYC. Passengers arriving by land are generally not checked if they filled out the form or not.
3. Airlines and TSA agents are not state officers and they would not care so this wouldn't be an issue.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 7:15 pm

Anyone still using the paper form for incoming flights to JFK or does it all have to be online now via the NYS form?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 8:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ernestp
Anyone still using the paper form for incoming flights to JFK or does it all have to be online now via the NYS form?
I just arrived at JFK from LAS, at the gate there were NAT GUARD people handing out forms, if you completed the form on line you would show them the email with a GREEN check mark.
At baggage claim for T4 there were agents (not NAT GUARD) with forms but most pax ignored them--presumably the agents at the gate were catching everyone.
[My flt landed at B34, on my way to the exit a flt had just arrived at B22--NO NAT GUARD agents greeted them, perhaps it was an inter NYS flt.]
Old Feb 28, 2021, 8:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
1. You wouldn't be asked for your COVID test but based on the information you provided on the form, NYS officers might do a house/hotel visit and might check if you are there. If you are staying for for your first 3 days, you would need to be in your house/hotel room all the time, for days 4-14, you would need a negative COVID test to show them that you used the test out option. Currently NYS does not offer any privilege of skipping quarantine for vaccinated travelers. Although a check by the officers do not happen to everyone but it's not worth the risk for a hefty monetary fine if you get caught.
2. Yes, this is a more sensible idea. You could also use a NJ Transit train to access NYC. Passengers arriving by land are generally not checked if they filled out the form or not.
3. Airlines and TSA agents are not state officers and they would not care so this wouldn't be an issue.
Most people arriving in NYC using NJ Transit are commuters, I can't imagine subjecting them to "checks". All pax arriving from PA, NJ, CT, MA into NYS are "exempt".
I guess if someone flew into EWR from say LAX and rode NJ Transit into NYC carrying a placard noting his routing, might be subject to a check.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by nrr
I just arrived at JFK from LAS, at the gate there were NAT GUARD people handing out forms, if you completed the form on line you would show them the email with a GREEN check mark.
At baggage claim for T4 there were agents (not NAT GUARD) with forms but most pax ignored them--presumably the agents at the gate were catching everyone.
[My flt landed at B34, on my way to the exit a flt had just arrived at B22--NO NAT GUARD agents greeted them, perhaps it was an inter NYS flt.]
Interesting, did most people fill the form out online or in person? Do they collect the forms too or is that box where you put them in still there?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ernestp
Interesting, did most people fill the form out online or in person? Do they collect the forms too or is that box where you put them in still there?
I was one of the first pax off the plane, but I didn't see any of them (except me) showing cellphones with GREEN checkmarks--the NAT GUARD agents were supplying pens/pencils and forms, I believe they were also collecting them.
There were only two agents at the gate, for past flights there were 4+ agents.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:05 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Per news articles, Cuomo's "emergency" powers will be rescinded on Friday, 3/5/21 [they will expire on 4/30/21 in any event]--will the current "quarantine for flyers" cease after 3/5?
LETTERBOY and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Cuomo announced a change in the domestic quarantine rules during his press conference today. Domestic travelers are no longer required to quarantine or test-out within 90 days of full vaccination.

Press Conference March 3, 2021
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:35 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cuomo announced a change in the domestic quarantine rules during his press conference today. Domestic travelers are no longer required to quarantine or test-out within 90 days of full vaccination.

Press Conference March 3, 2021
So what procedure will they now be using to verify a pax vaccination status?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:56 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A further thought, it would seem that after the 90 day period, travelers to NYS are back to the quarantine "system".
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

................Domestic travelers are no longer required to quarantine or test-out within 90 days of full vaccination...........
What does "within 90 days of full vaccination" mean? Are you only exempt for 90 days after vaccination? Do you need to get another vaccination after o90 days? Pretty weird rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.