FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/2024052-experience-quarantine-checks-flying-into-nyc-airports.html)

smessaert Aug 27, 2020 8:26 am

Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports

In light of the New York State 14 day quarantine requirement currently in place, has anyone had experience in the last few weeks of landing in EWR/LGA or JFK from one of the "prohibited" states? I know every traveler is supposed to fill out the Health Form online beforehand but curious upon landing if there are checks upon deplaning to confirm you have a 14 day reservation (if you're staying in a hotel) or how that's being handled.

DLATL777 Aug 27, 2020 8:55 am

Yes. Flew ATL-EWR on August 12th. Absolutely ZERO evidence of ANYTHING. You get called and texted from the form you have to agree to online to quarantine but nothing to do with the airport. Zero difference. Drove into Manhattan through the tunnel and same-nothing.

WScottsdaleInsider Aug 27, 2020 9:59 am

Yes, flew into JFK from Las Vegas this weekend. There was an announcement onboard the flight for everyone to fill out a form. When deplaning there was one person checking to see if you filled out by showing them a screenshot that it was completed as you walked out. A screenshot is all you need, they're not checking ID to match the form or whether any of the information is accurate all they check for is completion.

The flight attendant mentioned that about 50% of the flights arriving into JFK are being checked. If you didn't complete online then you were handed a paper form which you'd have to complete.

https://forms.ny.gov/s3/Welcome-to-N...er-Health-Form

sydneyracquelle Aug 27, 2020 10:46 am

I am flying into BUF tomorrow. I completed the online form and received a code to show upon deplaning. I am supposed to show a screenshot to the “NYS Compliance Agent” who will be meeting the plane upon arrival.

UPDATE: Bunch of folks making everyone register after exiting security not at each gate. Threats were $2,000 fine if not register and leave airport. No announcement on plane.

Ryno1234 Aug 27, 2020 4:10 pm

I flew in to LGA from CVG this morning. I was a little concerned since I live in Ohio (which is not on the quarantine list for NY) but CVG is in Kentucky which is on the quarantine list. They made the announcement on the plane. I didn't fill out anything and was never asked when we landed. However, at the hotel they asked where i lived and had to show my ID.

Does it mater where you live? or where you fly out of?

ClipperDelta Aug 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Flew into JFK last weekend and same thing as mentioned above, an announcement was made during the flight to fill out the form online. On arrival, there were two agents checking for the electronic confirmation once you exited the jetway. They also provided paper forms for those who didn’t have the forms filled out yet. The check was focused on making sure you had filled out the form rather than the actual content of the form.

bennos Aug 27, 2020 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 (Post 32634540)
Does it mater where you live? or where you fly out of?

It's basically where you've spent more than 24 hours in the past 14 days. So if you left your house in Ohio and spent less than 24 hours in Kentucky then you do not need to quarantine.

As per the web site, "The travel advisory requires all New Yorkers, as well as those visiting from out of state, to take personal responsibility for complying with the advisory in the best interest of public health and safety."

Ryno1234 Aug 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 32634635)
It's basically where you've spent more than 24 hours in the past 14 days. So if you left your house in Ohio and spent less than 24 hours in Kentucky then you do not need to quarantine.

As per the web site, "The travel advisory requires all New Yorkers, as well as those visiting from out of state, to take personal responsibility for complying with the advisory in the best interest of public health and safety."

Thanks! that makes perfect sense.

allseas1586 Aug 27, 2020 8:19 pm

Agree with the others, I flew into LGA Monday night and no one asked to see the screenshot/email that it was completed. Never did see paper forms either.

DLASflyer Aug 27, 2020 9:05 pm

No announcements, forms or any sort of person checking anything on arrival at EWR. Newark is New Jersey, not New York though.

Long Train Runnin Aug 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Have flown into EWR a couple times from states on the list in the past few weeks.

0 announcements/enforcements.

Coming back from MN on Saturday expecting more of the same.

bgasser Aug 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Flew into both LGA and ISP recently. There was a woman reading a book at a Dept of Health table at LGA. Most people ignored her table and just collected their bags and left the airport. At ISP, there are state troopers present then ensure you turn in your paperwork before being able to collect your baggage. It is concerning how lax LGA is.

erik123 Aug 29, 2020 6:23 am

From Europe to JFK - They checked forms and temp of all passengers.

:D! Aug 29, 2020 6:59 am

Seems to be like the UK system where they are just hoping that thepthe majority of peoplewill tell the truth and behave responsibly even if it isn't verified

nomiiiii Aug 29, 2020 7:09 am

Yes I flew into LGA couple of days ago (from colorado, domestic flight). Enforcement basically exists of one poor hapless soul yelling "PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR QUARANTINE TRAVEL FORM AND SHOW IT TO ME" and about 90% of the people walk past him ignoring him. I waved my phone showing the screenshot of the form at him from about 10 feet and he said okay to me in appreciation of acknowledging his thankless job. He obviously couldn't even see if what I was waving from my phone was a filled out form or my loaded reddit site.

So yeah ... no enforcement it is a complete joke.