Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rockefeller Center underground passageways update

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here’s what Phase 2 of the COVID-19 restrictions looked like today (Friday) right around Noon (this is the north concourse from the Starbucks by the rink looking back towards Sixth Avenue). I walked from Sixth to Fifth Avenue using the concourse and the Banana Republic was the only open store I found; the only food place open was the Dunkin Donuts at the top of the B/D/F/M station.

Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here’s what Phase 2 of the COVID-19 restrictions looked like today (Friday) right around Noon (this is the north concourse from the Starbucks by the rink looking back towards Sixth Avenue). I walked from Sixth to Fifth Avenue using the concourse and the Banana Republic was the only open store I found; the only food place open was the Dunkin Donuts at the top of the B/D/F/M station.
Wow. I can tell you Penn Station is decidedly busier both in the subway and the regional train/Amtrak areas. I saw lots of people boarding Acela around noon today. Looked like about a hundred.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:47 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I started this thread. After watching a YouTube video showing the underground passageways. The extension west of 6th Ave. were "new" based on earlier excursions I took.
In any event, from the YT video and my personal experience these passageways are not heavily traveled--though NOT deserted. New (viral) times = closed offices = few(er) people.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
When you say new buildings are being added, do you mean buildings on the west side of 6th Avenue that allows one to travel underground from 6th to 7th Avenues?
(You remind me that I'm due for a trip to Eddie's for a shoe shine!)
Great site Forgotten NY

https://forgotten-ny.com/2015/09/under-6th-avenue/
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
And... https://forgotten-ny.com/2019/01/los...yn-and-queens/
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Today is my first day working back in Midtown since last March; here's a few updates.

The entrance off the uptown 49th Street BMT Broadway line to the underground concourse is closed, likely due to the fact that they are doing a gut renovation of the lobby of the Exxon Building (1251 6th Ave) so the passageway under the construction zone is closed). Over half of the shops and stores under 30 Rock are closed (the shoe repair and shine is still open). There's also a bit of concourse closed around the skating rink construction zone. In general, it's still very much a ghost town, with more construction workers than office workers.

I tried going from Urbanspace 52 back to the B/D/F/M station and it’s blocked as well. In short, I don’t think most buildings on 7th and 6th Aves. are letting people enter via their underground lobbies. Over at the B/D/F/M station, they are doing major renovations of the plaza at 1221 6th Ave so the corridor is blocked at 49th street and the west side of 6th Ave.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 6, 2021 at 4:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.