Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philly to JFK Friday afternoon of Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Philly to JFK Friday afternoon of Memorial Day Weekend

Have a 10:15pm flight out of JFK on Friday 5/28 (the Friday of MDW) and working close to a full day Friday. With COVID cutbacks, there was no good alternative out of PHL/EWR. Debating Amtrak/LIRR/AirTrain vs driving and it looks like all-in price will be similar enough for the roundtrip. Normally would immediately say "car", but given it is the Friday before Memorial Day on what will likely be a very busy holiday, how much of a risk am I taking by driving? Is it going to be jammed up the first part of 95 trying to get past Philadelphians/Bucks County people heading to the Jersey shore and then again along 278/Belt Parkway from people trying to get out to Long Island?

Absolute earliest we can leave is 4pm, probably more like 430-5. Amtrak has a 5:15p train we can take that allows us to get to JFK by 7:45p if everything is on-time, and even one 20 minutes earlier if we want to have a bigger buffer.

Am I right in thinking the odds are good of a lot of traffic on the way up?
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Several years ago (also the Fri. of MDW), I was driving from Atlantic City to NYC (taking the VZB to the belt parkway to the VW)--duplicating much of your route; the traffic was very light.
But this is COVID period...things may be very different now.
The train route is sort of guaranteed with regard to time--except for the AirTrain, a few years ago on 7/3 (the start of another major holiday period) they were running the AT on a 10 minute schedule = crowding to board the AT.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hard to predict traffic this year, but one has to plan dby presuming that it will be tough.

Train is your best option. I would take the first train you can, presuming that you don't have anything planned. Might as well hang out at JFK as anywhere. Buffer is always good on a holiday weekend.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
While it should not take 4 hours to get to JFK, you can never predict if an accident occurs closing all lanes of traffic. One time it took us 3 hours to go from Central NJ to Delaware due to that reason.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks all! Going to do Amtrak and if they end up having operational issues that afternoon, can always hop in the car and get a voucher for the train fare.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Everyone I know is going away. I think the roads will be a back to normal holiday weekend nightmare on MDW. I'd train it all the way to be safe.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.