Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Great suggestion but I don't have a departure from T4. Will they let me in? I do have PP though but I thought the hours for PP at the wings lounge were very specific?
Yes, they always have for me. I've been questioned once? I just show them my BP (AS or AA) and tell them I'd like to go in to use the lounge or eat at McD's. Never an issue. Just show them your JL BP and tell them you're here on a connecting flight and either would like to use the Wing's lounge or eat at McD's.

If you've done this with success before I will absolutely do this (even if you haven't I will try it!). Just trying to set internal expectations.
I do this with regularity. You can't show up at around 6 pm, and will have to wait at or near Midnight. 11 pm - 11:30 pm should be fine. The area where the 24 hour McD's is comfortable, has some couches, outlets and a large table where I find it preferable to the Wing's lounge. The Wing's lounge is run by some Chinese carrier now, but if they don't have that "PP not allowed" sign, then you're fine; otherwise, it's $50? Don't pay, ain't worth it, especially since the area near McD's is nicer, in my view.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Yes, they always have for me. I've been questioned once? I just show them my BP (AS or AA) and tell them I'd like to go in to use the lounge or eat at McD's. Never an issue. Just show them your JL BP and tell them you're here on a connecting flight and either would like to use the Wing's lounge or eat at McD's.

I do this with regularity. You can't show up at around 6 pm, and will have to wait at or near Midnight. 11 pm - 11:30 pm should be fine. The area where the 24 hour McD's is comfortable, has some couches, outlets and a large table where I find it preferable to the Wing's lounge. The Wing's lounge is run by some Chinese carrier now, but if they don't have that "PP not allowed" sign, then you're fine; otherwise, it's $50? Don't pay, ain't worth it, especially since the area near McD's is nicer, in my view.

Thanks!!!! That's my plan then...fingers crossed no issues. Glad to hear I'm not the only one contemplating this course, though we appear to be in the minority.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:44 am

Thanks!!!! That's my plan then...fingers crossed no issues. Glad to hear I'm not the only one contemplating this course, though we appear to be in the minority.
LOL...well, much to the consternation of those around me, I sort just march to the beat of my own drum. Assuming you have TSA Pre, but if you don't, may want to show up a little early since the lines start with the CI folks at around that time. Even with Pre, their crew gets priority and, for whatever reason, it takes them longer than any other flight crew I've ever seen pass through US security.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
LOL...well, much to the consternation of those around me, I sort just march to the beat of my own drum. Assuming you have TSA Pre, but if you don't, may want to show up a little early since the lines start with the CI folks at around that time. Even with Pre, their crew gets priority and, for whatever reason, it takes them longer than any other flight crew I've ever seen pass through US security.
Yep I have TSA pre but from what I have heard from others T1 TSA pre is not "real" so I will plan getting into T1 by 9 at the latest with an 11am departure on Jal business.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:52 am

Yep I have TSA pre but from what I have heard from others T1 TSA pre is not "real" so I will plan getting into T1 by 9 at the latest with an 11am departure on Jal business.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. When going through T4 at around Midnight is when the CI folks show up.

Yeah, while with TSA Pre/JL F/J, you can cut the line but still have to do the remove shoes, thick jackets, etc. JL is using LH Lounge which is pretty close to their departing Gates.

PS - Here's a tip for T1. Sometimes this works when the line is long. While in queue, hold your US Passport in front of you and keep checking your watch, as if you're concerned about making your flight. If you're lucky (this happened to me a few times), the TSA person will single you out allowing you to cut the final line.

Last edited by Visconti; Jan 2, 2020 at 11:31 am Reason: PS...
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help and insight, if anyone else has thoughts am happy to hear them.

If you are interested in seeing how it goes I can post updates here, just let me know.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Great suggestion but I don't have a departure from T4. Will they let me in? I do have PP though but I thought the hours for PP at the wings lounge were very specific?

If you've done this with success before I will absolutely do this (even if you haven't I will try it!). Just trying to set internal expectations.
It's called Wingtips Lounge. PP is only accepted from 3-8pm. Outside of those hours, I guess you can try, since you will have the entire night. Don't expect much there even if you are granted access.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:32 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks everyone for your help and insight, if anyone else has thoughts am happy to hear them.

If you are interested in seeing how it goes I can post updates here, just let me know.
Sure, thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:24 am
Suspended

OP, I arrived into T8 tonight alittle early at 11pm, into Gate 1. There was a LAN plane a couple of gates away with tons of folks waiting for it.

I checked the Boards and it seems the last flight In is @ 1:15AM (from LAX), there are a few others bet 11pm and that LA flight. The ONLY place open was Duty Free, Airside nothing else at least in my section of the term. Also seems the last flight out is to GRU at Midnight. Not sure if TSA as still open. In the baggage area Dunkin and CIBO Express were still open

I cant imagine that they shut down the whole term at all, since if the LA flight gets in ontime @1:15 till everyone gets out of Airside can be close to 2am and the 1st flight is a few hrs later, hard to believe they would kick everyone out. I did notice what looked like cleaning folks camped out near the LAN Gate probably waiting for the flight to leave to finish their cleaning. Except for that gate area it seemed that they already cleaned every place else
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
OP, I arrived into T8 tonight alittle early at 11pm, into Gate 1. There was a LAN plane a couple of gates away with tons of folks waiting for it.

I checked the Boards and it seems the last flight In is @ 1:15AM (from LAX), there are a few others bet 11pm and that LA flight. The ONLY place open was Duty Free, Airside nothing else at least in my section of the term. Also seems the last flight out is to GRU at Midnight. Not sure if TSA as still open. In the baggage area Dunkin and CIBO Express were still open

I cant imagine that they shut down the whole term at all, since if the LA flight gets in ontime @1:15 till everyone gets out of Airside can be close to 2am and the 1st flight is a few hrs later, hard to believe they would kick everyone out. I did notice what looked like cleaning folks camped out near the LAN Gate probably waiting for the flight to leave to finish their cleaning. Except for that gate area it seemed that they already cleaned every place else
Thanks for your help, I think I will try to go the wings lounge and if they don't let me in will go back to t8, am worried about being stuck between terminals and TSA not letting me into either.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

Thanks for your help, I think I will try to go the wings lounge and if they don't let me in will go back to t8, am worried about being stuck between terminals and TSA not letting me into either.

Dont know the day of your flight, but if it was me and a hotel wont be happening, Id check to find out the latest flight departing (bear in mind it will be for the Date after you arrive if you arrive before midnight).and make sure that you can be back at T8m a min of 1 hr before that flight departs, as Im sure TSA will still be open. So a 12:15am last departure Id want to be back at T8 by 11:15pm the latest. Thats just in case I couldnt get into T4

I think the GRU flight is the last flight out, TSA doesnt have to be open for any incoming flight
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Dont know the day of your flight, but if it was me and a hotel wont be happening, Id check to find out the latest flight departing (bear in mind it will be for the Date after you arrive if you arrive before midnight).and make sure that you can be back at T8m a min of 1 hr before that flight departs, as Im sure TSA will still be open. So a 12:15am last departure Id want to be back at T8 by 11:15pm the latest. Thats just in case I couldnt get into T4

I think the GRU flight is the last flight out, TSA doesnt have to be open for any incoming flight

LATAM Joins Delta At JFK Terminal 4, I believe starting 2/1 so this will KO that LAN flight after midnight, could be AAs 10:55pm flight to GRU may be the last departing flight after LAN leaves. If so TSA may be closing up shop at apx 10:30pm if not sooner, if AAs GRU flight will be the last flight out
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:01 pm

RE: T4

I just did this again on my return from CDG to JFK. The initial TSA check person was hesitant and I suggested he check with his Supervisor since I enter for a bite to eat at McD's all the time during this hour before morning flights. One look at my BP, and his Supervisor just said let him through. That's it. If you do encounter some resistance, just keep asking to escalate to a Supervisor and calmly make your case. In any event, whatever their reply, just ask a different variation and at least make them say no 3 times. This is NY, and it's ok to be a little abrasive, "look, I'm hungry, want some McD's/lounge and it's open 24/7."

I've gone through as early as 11:30 pm and late as 1 am - 2am. This time, the Wingtips lounge was empty and it has all of my requirements--water, coffee, privacy with big chairs and clean restroom.

PS - When passing, just tell them your TSA Pre and you can keep your shoes on and bypass the machine thing.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:11 pm

deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.