FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/2001967-layover-jfk-midnight-til-11am.html)

ZBigFam Dec 31, 2019 8:54 am

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

I am based in the somewhat remote Midwest so the best I could do for my jfk>nrt>tpe flight is to arrive the night before at 1150pm with my departing flight to tpe the next day at 11am.

I don't think it's worth staying in a hotel for just a few hours in this case so I think all I can do is hang around terminal 8 till 4am then go to the flagship lounge (I'm AA explat and flying business on JAL)?

Anyone else done something similar and have a better suggestion?

Fraser Dec 31, 2019 9:00 am

TWA Hotel. A few minutes on the AirTrain and about a 10min walk from the T5 stop.

coxm Dec 31, 2019 9:03 am

The TWA Hotel is on property and usually fairly inexpensive as far as NYC hotels go. A nice bed, shower and breakfast (and a drink before bed) is a better way to spend 11 hours overnight in my mind.

arlflyer Dec 31, 2019 9:14 am

I personally like to be well rested before Asia flights...a hotel is well worth it. The on site property has been noted, and I have had good experiences with the Hilton properties as well. Very efficient.

pmblinn Dec 31, 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31892860)
I am based in the somewhat remote Midwest so the best I could do for my jfk>nrt>tpe flight is to arrive the night before at 1150pm with my departing flight to tpe the next day at 11am.

I don't think it's worth staying in a hotel for just a few hours in this case so I think all I can do is hang around terminal 8 till 4am then go to the flagship lounge (I'm AA explat and flying business on JAL)?

Anyone else done something similar and have a better suggestion?

I did something similar on a mileage run a few years back. There was one Priority Pass lounge in another terminal (requiring re-clearing security in each direction) that was open 24 hours, but I thought that would have been a pain, so I decided to try to get at couple of winks at T8 and wait for Flagship to open. Wasn't able to get any sleep in terminal and regretted not going to the PP lounge, which, I believe, now closes at 10p.

It's worth adding that (as of a couple years ago, at least) T8 is NOT a 24-hr terminal and all shops/stores/restaurants were closed in the wee hours.

Net-net, I think the TWA hotel is a very solid option.

ZBigFam Dec 31, 2019 9:27 am

I've been wanting to visit the TWA hotel but at $220 a night it just doesn't make sense for me especially since I probably won't get settled into the hotel till close to 1am then have to get up around 8 and check in again for my flight.

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 31892945)
I did something similar on a mileage run a few years back. There was one Priority Pass lounge in another terminal (requiring re-clearing security in each direction) that was open 24 hours, but I thought that would have been a pain, so I decided to try to get at couple of winks at T8 and wait for Flagship to open. Wasn't able to get any sleep in terminal and regretted not going to the PP lounge, which, I believe, now closes at 10p.

It's worth adding that (as of a couple years ago, at least) T8 is NOT a 24-hr terminal and all shops/stores/restaurants were closed in the wee hours.

Net-net, I think the TWA hotel is a very solid option.

Your point about the terminal not being 24 hours does bring me concern though, not sure what terminal I arrive in but if j have to reclear security to get to terminal 8 then I will need to wait till 4am in the terminal I arrive at before going to terminal 8 (assuming terminal 8 opens at 4am as that's the time the flagship lounge opens).

Am I correct in my thinking? I am on a mileage run much like you were.

JJeffrey Dec 31, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31892976)
I've been wanting to visit the TWA hotel but at $220 a night it just doesn't make sense for me especially since I probably won't get settled into the hotel till close to 1am then have to get up around 8 and check in again for my flight.

If you land on time there's no reason you can't be in bed at the TWA Hotel by 12:15-12:30am. It's easy, and that still leaves you with 7-7.5 hrs of proper sleep in a real bed.

Sounds way, way better than sitting on a landside bench for 4 hrs. at T8 then having to clear security twice in the morning, etc. etc.

fotographer Dec 31, 2019 9:39 am

Even a few hours of decent sleep and a nice hot shower is worth it
especially when you have a long haul the next day
recently used the airport hotel in KUL for a 13 layover
a nice bed quite room a shower was well worth the money spent

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Dec 31, 2019 9:39 am

That or try Hotwire or PL. You may need to Uber it to a hotel. Otherwise T8 doesn't allow people in the secure area at night and there's not many places to sit other than the floor in the check in area.

craz Dec 31, 2019 9:48 am

Op I hear you loud and clear, since I think the same way. However that said I also hear the others and having arrived into T8 on a flight late night about all that is open are the bathrooms, and even if they dont kick you out of airside, its 1 place I wouldnt want to be If $220 is too much the other choice is a hotel near but off airport (which is what Id do if I didnt live in NY) and use my pts for a room.

A big negative is that the shuttles p/u Only at Federal Circle which is a stop of the Airtrains that go to Howard Beach or Jamaica Station, if they only run a fix times then Id Uber to thenhotel to max my time in bed or cough up the cost for The TWA hotel, which you need to take the Internal Airtrain to reach to T5

Id do anything to avoid walking onto a NY0NRT flight shelping my body due to being knocked out

pmblinn Dec 31, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31893002)
Your point about the terminal not being 24 hours does bring me concern though, not sure what terminal I arrive in but if j have to reclear security to get to terminal 8 then I will need to wait till 4am in the terminal I arrive at before going to terminal 8 (assuming terminal 8 opens at 4am as that's the time the flagship lounge opens).

Am I correct in my thinking? I am on a mileage run much like you were.

Yes on the thinking.

If hotels are non-starters for you, I'd look into the other JFK terminals for hours and services. I believe (someone with greater knowledge would have to validate) that you can access any JFK terminal with a valid boarding pass. And surely (again, someone would have to validate) at least one of the other terminals would be open overnight.

Good luck!

ZBigFam Dec 31, 2019 10:05 am

You all are making me second guess my terminal schlepping plan lol. Thanks for all the input!

AANYC1981 Dec 31, 2019 10:36 am

I'll chime in too for the TWA hotel!

manacit Dec 31, 2019 10:55 am

I would vote for the TWA hotel - if you land at 11 you can easily be in bed by 12:00, and with how quick/low-risk it is to get back to your terminal, you can leave at 9 AM and make it no problem.

Is $220 worth sleeping on a dirty and busy floor somewhere instead of a (nice) hotel, where you can get a good night's sleep for a long trip? That's not a rhetorical question - that's a personal decision that's up to you. For me, I'd take it any day of the week.

craz Dec 31, 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31893132)
You all are making me second guess my terminal schlepping plan lol. Thanks for all the input!

I will assume you arent on a Full Fare tkt = its not $0 to make changes. But can you standby for an a flight/s that will get into JFK any time before 11:50pm? If yes thats what Id do besides getting a hotel room