Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I think JL’s SkySuites, particularly on the 77W, is quite comfortable (and private if you have a window seat). I am somewhat claustrophobic and didn’t find the suite to be narrow at all. People complain about the temperature at which JL keeps their cabins, but I get cold relatively easily so don’t notice it as a problem. I really enjoy the food, and the service is excellent. WiFi is available. Overall, I much prefer JL over CX, which has poor food and (mostly) no WiFi. I don’t find the reverse herringbone seat to be any more comfortable than the SkySuite, and in fact find the narrow foot wells annoying. Of course, all of these things are subjective.

I am not sure if you will be able to get into T8 with a JL boarding pass. You can certainly book an AA award or flexible ticket and then cancel, but that is technically against the rules so do it at your own risk. Doing it once probably will be fine...but you never know. AA does seem to be cracking down on what it sees as fraudulent activity (e.g., credit card churning).
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer JL business (skysuites, not neo) to CX first. The service is better, the food is better, and the suite is well designed so everything is within reach. CX F has tons of space and nowhere to put anything.

CX F certainly looks very nice... but I'll take function over form. That JL skysuite is well designed. I have broad shoulders and I'm 6'2 and I fit just fine and slept very well.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Do you know if they have a rule about how early you can show up for in the lounge (like how Amex only lets you in 3 hours before)?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I prefer JL business (skysuites, not neo) to CX first. The service is better, the food is better, and the suite is well designed so everything is within reach. CX F has tons of space and nowhere to put anything.

CX F certainly looks very nice... but I'll take function over form. That JL skysuite is well designed. I have broad shoulders and I'm 6'2 and I fit just fine and slept very well.
Well it is what is at this point, had planned this as a mileage run and was stoked to get the JAL deal. I am not a small guy having played football if my younger years...hopefully it's more comfortable than United Polaris which I personally hate but can deal with...
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I think JL’s SkySuites, particularly on the 77W, is quite comfortable (and private if you have a window seat). I am somewhat claustrophobic and didn’t find the suite to be narrow at all. People complain about the temperature at which JL keeps their cabins, but I get cold relatively easily so don’t notice it as a problem. I really enjoy the food, and the service is excellent. WiFi is available. Overall, I much prefer JL over CX, which has poor food and (mostly) no WiFi. I don’t find the reverse herringbone seat to be any more comfortable than the SkySuite, and in fact find the narrow foot wells annoying. Of course, all of these things are subjective.

I am not sure if you will be able to get into T8 with a JL boarding pass. You can certainly book an AA award or flexible ticket and then cancel, but that is technically against the rules so do it at your own risk. Doing it once probably will be fine...but you never know. AA does seem to be cracking down on what it sees as fraudulent activity (e.g., credit card churning).
Good point about the window seats I had noticed most of them booked and now I know why....when you say window are the ones right up against the bulk head the best then?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Do you know if they have a rule about how early you can show up for in the lounge (like how Amex only lets you in 3 hours before)?
No, the AA flagship lounge doesn’t have such a rule. I have shown up 4-6 hours early and basically set up office in one of the booths in the back.

Good point about the window seats I had noticed most of them booked and now I know why....when you say window are the ones right up against the bulk head the best then?
The bulkhead rows (e.g., Row 5) are typically reserved for elites, I think, but I don’t think they’re necessarily better than the other window seats. There might be a bit more space to get out of the seat, since the window seats have a narrow passage way in front of the aisle seat for aisle access, but there isn’t the same benefit of the bulkhead seat in terms of wider foot space as there is with some reverse herringbone seats.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I am based in the somewhat remote Midwest so the best I could do for my jfk>nrt>tpe flight is to arrive the night before at 1150pm with my departing flight to tpe the next day at 11am.

I don't think it's worth staying in a hotel for just a few hours in this case so I think all I can do is hang around terminal 8 till 4am then go to the flagship lounge (I'm AA explat and flying business on JAL)?

Anyone else done something similar and have a better suggestion?
I have done it both ways.

ARR 2300 - DEP 0600 I found a quite gate and slept under a row of chairs, awoke at 4a as to do the same - hit up the showers at the FSL - Access due to J on Transcon. Painless and easy with a sleep mask and headphones.

ARR 2200 - DEP 0600 Due to MX delay coming out of LAX, I missed my connection at JFK, knowing that my CSR would cover the cost of the hotel, I booked at the TWA in T5. Very cool property, wasn't there for long, but the bed was comfortable, the room was nice, and the blackout shades worked well. Got a few hours of sleep before heading back to T8. It could not have been easier to get to TWA Hotel from T8 using the AirTrain (free). Without checked bags and being a mall-walker, it was under 25 minutes from gate to bed.

With your time frame I would definitely go for the TWA Hotel if the price is right. The lobby bar is open until 0100 and in the morning you can check out the air field from the pool deck before heading back to the FSL.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbielsker
I have done it both ways.

ARR 2300 - DEP 0600 I found a quite gate and slept under a row of chairs, awoke at 4a as to do the same - hit up the showers at the FSL - Access due to J on Transcon. Painless and easy with a sleep mask and headphones.

ARR 2200 - DEP 0600 Due to MX delay coming out of LAX, I missed my connection at JFK, knowing that my CSR would cover the cost of the hotel, I booked at the TWA in T5. Very cool property, wasn't there for long, but the bed was comfortable, the room was nice, and the blackout shades worked well. Got a few hours of sleep before heading back to T8. It could not have been easier to get to TWA Hotel from T8 using the AirTrain (free). Without checked bags and being a mall-walker, it was under 25 minutes from gate to bed.

With your time frame I would definitely go for the TWA Hotel if the price is right. The lobby bar is open until 0100 and in the morning you can check out the air field from the pool deck before heading back to the FSL.
If the first option is manageable (obviously it is since you did it) I would rather go with that since it's less complicated and lower cost (while I have a CSR this long layover is my own doing!).

I fly in from CLT, looks like it will land in terminal 8. We're you able to just hang out in terminal 8 till 4am? If so that's what I plan on doing unless they kick me out which will be a problem...
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

After doing further research...I think I will get kicked out.of terminal 8, so I will have to go from terminal 8 to terminal 4 and wait landside till 430am then go back to terminal 8 (if they let me in), sleep/shower then head over to terminal 1 for my JAL flight.

Were you able to stay in terminal 8 or did you have to do the same as I am listing above?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's a lot of trips through TSA airport security.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's a lot of trips through TSA airport security.
I know..... But to me it's not worth dropping $200++ for a hotel room when in 4 hours I can be in the flagship lounge.

Last edited by ZBigFam; Jan 1, 2020 at 9:36 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
How about a Sleep Inn or Comfort Inn? There's one on Rockaway Blvd. very close to Federal Circle. Their shuttle back to JFK is on a schedule and a very short ride back to JFK. They might be half to 60% the cost of the TWA Hotel. Not crime ridden.

A bad alternative not mentioned is to rent a car and sleep in the car. Not too comfortable but better than a bench in the airport.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
...hopefully it's more comfortable than United Polaris which I personally hate but can deal with...
United Polaris seats are light years ahead of JAL's Skysuites when it comes to comfort and privacy.
Attached Images      
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:16 am

Here's how I'd do it.

Having arrived into JFK during the late evenings (delayed departure from SE Asia), I don't bother with a hotel, especially having to make my way to Fed Circle only to take another hotel shuttle bus. I just head over to T4 and TSA will let you in around midnight with a morning flight--security operates here 24 hours, I think. Then, you can head to the Wings (?) lounge which is open 24 hours, but only if there's space when using PP. I just go the area where there's a 24 hours McD's, grab a seat and work on my laptop while satisfying my fast food craving after a stint abroad. Then, at around 4 am, head back over to T8 for the AA Flagship.

Unlike most, while I'd probably choose a hotel in, say, SFO, I wouldn't bother at JFK.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Here's how I'd do it.

Having arrived into JFK during the late evenings (delayed departure from SE Asia), I don't bother with a hotel, especially having to make my way to Fed Circle only to take another hotel shuttle bus. I just head over to T4 and TSA will let you in around midnight with a morning flight--security operates here 24 hours, I think. Then, you can head to the Wings (?) lounge which is open 24 hours, but only if there's space when using PP. I just go the area where there's a 24 hours McD's, grab a seat and work on my laptop while satisfying my fast food craving after a stint abroad. Then, at around 4 am, head back over to T8 for the AA Flagship.

Unlike most, while I'd probably choose a hotel in, say, SFO, I wouldn't bother at JFK.
Great suggestion but I don't have a departure from T4. Will they let me in? I do have PP though but I thought the hours for PP at the wings lounge were very specific?

If you've done this with success before I will absolutely do this (even if you haven't I will try it!). Just trying to set internal expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.