Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Terminal 4 to Terminal 5 JFK

Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:02 am
Original Poster

We will be flying in on SA203 on the 15th of November 2018 at Terminal 4 and must fly out on Jet Blue B6 765 at Terminal 5
How long will it be to get to Terminal 5 and how.
Please assist.
Kind regards
J Frank
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
1 stop on the Airtrain anticlockwise (heading to Howard Beach or Jamaica). 10 minutes max
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Not much on the airtrain... but you will have to do your immigration and customs before that and haul your luggage to T4. You have about 3 hours between flights so you should be ok as long as there isn't any major chaos in JFK.

Oh and yes wrong forum...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:07 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, J Frank! This thread has now been transferred from the India Airlines forum to the NYC Forum. Please see our Sticky at the top of the forum for more info!

/Moderator
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J Frank
We will be flying in on SA203 on the 15th of November 2018 at Terminal 4 and must fly out on Jet Blue B6 765 at Terminal 5
How long will it be to get to Terminal 5 and how.
Please assist.
Kind regards
J Frank
Welcome to Flyertalk!

If you are seated in the back of the arriving aircraft, it could take 10-15 minutes to deboard. You will need to go through immigration at T4. That could take 15 minutes; it could take 1-2 hours depending upon the lines. Do you have Global Entry? If so, that will speed things up. If you have checked luggage, then you have to wait for it at the baggage claim. In theory if the line at Immigration is long enough, your wait for your luggage at the carousel could be quick.

Then you leave security, follow signs for the air train (there are escalators) and take an Airtrain heading to Jamaica or Howard Beach (not the all terminals train as it goes the wrong way for you) one stop to Terminal 5. Then there is about a 5-10 minute walk to the terminal depending upon how quickly you walk.

Then you have to drop off your luggage (check in your flight ahead of time so you don't waste time) and wait on the security line (10 minutes - 1 hour?).

So there are lots of variables. JFK is a pain for transfers like you are doing. If you haven't bought your tickets which is what I'm assuming because why seek advice after-the-fact, don't do this.

If you are set to do this anyway, I would allow a minimum 3 1/2 hours. If you miss your flight, you'll have to buy another ticket and maybe spend the night if there are no more flights to your Jetblue destination or if there are no more available seats. Seriously, reconsider this idea.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Junior1
(From a different thread, I didn’t want to hijack that thread.)
IMO the best way to do JetBlue T5 and Centurion T4 is to basically use the walkway between terminals.

The AirTrain was hit or miss last time I was there and there was only 1 track in use. Not to mention the positioning of the T5 stop means you have to walk almost the equivalent distance of going from T4 to T5 by ground anyways...
Cool, thank you. I’ve done T4 (Centurion Lounge for a “meal”) to T5 (USO lounge/center for junk food to take with me) several times during the past year and expect to do it again a few times per year now that I’m no longer chasing status on UA and thus don’t have to schlep to EWR and most of my long haul flights now will be from JFK using AA miles. Usually (at JFK) I end up doing a trifecta: T4 to T5 to T8 (for the flight). To me it’s a no-brainer if only carry-on, a little more complicated decision with checked bags and/or skis.

Never knew there was a way to walk T4 to T5, excellent information, thanks again .

Just Googled it and found a video showing the exact route, poor video technique at the beginning, nearly gave me vertigo , but AFAICT looks like the (walking-from-T4) entrance to T5 is to Baggage Claim quite close to the USO center. And yes, the walk from AirTrain to T5 is most definitely … excessive, good exercise but a bit lengthy .
Addendum: Did the walk a few days later, other than 90 degree heat and bright sunshine, it worked quite well. Maybe 8 minutes total, with all the current construction it was probably a few minutes faster than the AirTrain. Thanks again.
MDtR-Chicago and happychic like this.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Sep 24, 2022 at 12:00 pm Reason: addendum added

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.