Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 16, 1:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Kufat
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

JFK / New York John F. Kennedy International Airport Interterminal Connections
(Consolidated thread)



JFK Airport Terminals Map


There is no reasonable way to travel between JFK terminals other than the AirTrain, which is landside (outside of security). The only airside inter-terminal service is the Delta shuttle bus between T2 (gate C60) and T4 (gates B18 and B54.)

The on-airport AirTrain is free, shows as a yellow line on maps and travels in a anti/counter-clockwise direction.

The clockwise Howard Beach and Jamaica Station trains arrive from outside the airport at Terminal 1 and depart the airport after stopping at Terminal 8. Whilst these trains are free while on-airport, they are not free if one goes past the airport.

See here for a map of the system and further information.

Link to PDF map and information about JFK AirTrain.

Link to online (moderately helpful) airport guide

There are two places to store your luggage at JFK Airport New York.
Terminal 4 at JFK (near the Arrivals area - call 718.751.2947 for information) offers a 24-hour luggage storage service in NY. Depending on the size of your bag, NYC luggage storage rates range between $4- $16 per day.
Terminal 1 at JFK also features a baggage storage service in NYC. (Call 718.751.2947 for information.) This service is also located near the Arrivals area, and is open from 7am- 11pm. NYC luggage storage rates at Terminal 1 also range between $4- $16 per day.
Print Wikipost

Old May 24, 11, 5:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Hi all,

First, a huge "thank you" to all who post here. I have learned a tremendous amount by lurking, and flyertalk has become my number one destination for travel information.

I have read the FAQ and the wiki. There is an entry for "LGA Inter-Terminal Connections," but not for "JFK Inter-Terminal Connections." My question is similar to this post, but I want to know if there are options besides Airtrain and how important it is to go the right direction.

I am flying into JFK at 9:15pm EDT on AA (terminal 8.) I fly out at 11:00pm EDT on Turkish Airlines (terminal 1.) That gives me just 1:45 to get from terminal 8 to terminal 1. I am not checking any luggage, just a carry-on and a backpack.

How do I best handle this?

My girlfriend is currently in NYC and her driver said I should "exit past baggage claim, then take the blue and white inter-terminal bus rather than the Air Train, since the next stop is Term 1."

Another frequent traveler said that it is important to get on the train going the right way. From reading wikipedia it looks like I should get on the Howard Beach or Jamaica Station train and I will only have to go a couple stops. The All Terminals train would be the long way around the loop. If I miss my stop, well Jamaica Plain and Howards Beach both sound like lovely destinations

What am I missing? Could we start a consolidated "best inter-terminal transit" thread for future lurkers?

Thank you all,

Dan
ComputerX is offline  
Old May 24, 11, 7:58 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,441
Originally Posted by ComputerX View Post
Another frequent traveler said that it is important to get on the train going the right way. From reading wikipedia it looks like I should get on the Howard Beach or Jamaica Station train and I will only have to go a couple stops. The All Terminals train would be the long way around the loop. If I miss my stop, well Jamaica Plain and Howards Beach both sound like lovely destinations
If you take the Jamaica train you will need to get off at Federal Circle (which is the next stop after Terminal 8) and then wait for the next terminals-bound train which will then deposit you at Terminal 1 first stop. It might be faster to take the All Terminals train even if it does run in the opposite direction.

Haven't heard about the bus option before.

Oh, and welcome to FT
Top of climb is offline  
Old May 24, 11, 8:01 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,266
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just take the All Terminals AirTrain from Terminal 8 to Terminal 1. The one-seat ride will take all of 10 minutes or so.
guv1976 is offline  
Old May 25, 11, 2:57 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks folks.

Dan
ComputerX is offline  
Old May 27, 11, 2:17 pm
  #5  
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Posts: 10,810
Originally Posted by ComputerX View Post
I have read the FAQ and the wiki. There is an entry for "LGA Inter-Terminal Connections," but not for "JFK Inter-Terminal Connections."
Welcome, ComputerX & thanks for pointing this out! LGA connections are a bit trickier because it's all by bus or walking, but it'd be good to have a central resource for JFK as well, so I'll add this to our Sticky!
dstan is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 2:49 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
jfk transfers?

Hi All,

What a great site thanks for all the valuable info and advice, it makes for great reading.

I'm looking for some advice, am due to arrive into JFK from Pls (Provo) with AA at 4pm and then have to connect onto Virgin travelling to London at 1930. Any advice as to the best way to do this with 2 children in tow. It's been a while since I was at JFK, the airtrain seems to be the best option but i'm a bit confused as to which direction and train number?

Leaving tomorrow so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
EllenS2 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 6:33 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Posts: 13,903
Originally Posted by EllenS2 View Post
Hi All,

What a great site thanks for all the valuable info and advice, it makes for great reading.

I'm looking for some advice, am due to arrive into JFK from Pls (Provo) with AA at 4pm and then have to connect onto Virgin travelling to London at 1930. Any advice as to the best way to do this with 2 children in tow. It's been a while since I was at JFK, the airtrain seems to be the best option but i'm a bit confused as to which direction and train number?

Leaving tomorrow so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Airtrain is the way to go, no matter what. You'll have plenty of time...

And since when does AA fly to anywhere from Provo???

P.S. Welcome to FT.
notsosmart is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 7:19 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,127
Keep in mind that the Airtrain is outside security so time may be an issue depending upon if your flight arrives on time. Take the Airtrain that DOES NOT say Howard Beach or Jamaica. You want the one that just loops around the airport.

Here's a map: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/jfk-airtrain-map.pdf

Here's a terminal map too: http://www.airportterminalmaps.com/J...minal-map.html

Welcome to Flyertalk, ComputerX.
Analise is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 9:33 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 646
deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 12 at 9:03 pm
littlesheep is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 11:16 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,198
Originally Posted by littlesheep View Post
If I'm flying in to JFK on UA (from SFO) which is terminal 7, then need to catch a fight to Israel on Delta (terminal 4), how much time do I need? Same question for the reverse route?

I'm buying the tickets separately and don't know how much time to allow.

Is it possible to walk between terminals, or do you have to take the train? This would save going through the TSA again on the outbound.
It wouldn't save you from TSA, actually, because with the exception of Terminals 2 and 3 (Delta) all the terminals are individually sealed security islands. There's no airside transit access.

Transit time from T7 to T4 using the Airtrain should be no more than fifteen minutes. Note that Airtrains run in both directions and you want the inner-circle train that doesn't leave the airport. When you exit T7, go outside and take the elevator / escalator up to the Airtrain platform, and get on any train that is running from right to left as you face away from the terminal. Ride it for three stops. The signage is pretty good and helpful.

It's very difficult to walk between terminals, especially with luggage. Train much faster and easier.

You want to be in line for your TLV flight at least 2.5 hours before departure, so if you are reclaiming / rechecking your bag you should schedule at least a four-hour layover between flights.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 11:20 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 646
deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 12 at 9:04 pm
littlesheep is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 12:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,857
You should also note that even though the DL TLV flight usually leaves from T4, T4 is a mixed terminal so it can be very crowded. Think of TBIT at LAX.

You can't actually walk between T7 and T4 at the moment because of the demolition of T6. For the reverse, you should take the AirTrain once again but this time look for the outside line train as it will be quicker.
Nugget_Oz is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 12:56 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,266
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by BearX220
Originally Posted by littlesheep View Post
If I'm flying in to JFK on UA (from SFO) which is terminal 7, then need to catch a fight to Israel on Delta (terminal 4), how much time do I need? Same question for the reverse route?

I'm buying the tickets separately and don't know how much time to allow.

Is it possible to walk between terminals, or do you have to take the train? This would save going through the TSA again on the outbound.
It wouldn't save you from TSA, actually, because with the exception of Terminals 2 and 3 (Delta) all the terminals are individually sealed security islands. There's no airside transit access.

Transit time from T7 to T4 using the Airtrain should be no more than fifteen minutes. Note that Airtrains run in both directions and you want the inner-circle train that doesn't leave the airport. When you exit T7, go outside and take the elevator / escalator up to the Airtrain platform, and get on any train that is running from right to left as you face away from the terminal. Ride it for three stops. The signage is pretty good and helpful.

It's very difficult to walk between terminals, especially with luggage. Train much faster and easier.

You want to be in line for your TLV flight at least 2.5 hours before departure, so if you are reclaiming / rechecking your bag you should schedule at least a four-hour layover between flights.
It's only two stops -- not three -- from T7 to T4 on the "All Terminals" AirTrain. (T5 and T6 are served by a single AirTrain station.)
guv1976 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 2:55 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,857
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)



It's only two stops -- not three -- from T7 to T4 on the "All Terminals" AirTrain. (T5 and T6 are served by a single AirTrain station.)
To be totally pedantic about BearX220's post T4 is also connected airside to T2 and T3 but an interterminal shuttle.
Nugget_Oz is offline  
Old Dec 20, 11, 4:55 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,198
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz View Post
To be totally pedantic about BearX220's post T4 is also connected airside to T2 and T3 but an interterminal shuttle.
You know, that is perfectly true... to get people from T3 over to the DL departures from T4 of the sort littlesheep is catching.

Further, I shamefacedly report that I nearly missed my DL flight last week, hiking back to the far reaches of T3 in search of "B28" when my flight left from plain old 28, over in T2. Backtracked and made it just in time. That rat's nest drives me crazy.
BearX220 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread