Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

First, a huge "thank you" to all who post here. I have learned a tremendous amount by lurking, and flyertalk has become my number one destination for travel information.

I have read the FAQ and the wiki. There is an entry for "LGA Inter-Terminal Connections," but not for "JFK Inter-Terminal Connections." My question is similar to this post, but I want to know if there are options besides Airtrain and how important it is to go the right direction.

I am flying into JFK at 9:15pm EDT on AA (terminal 8.) I fly out at 11:00pm EDT on Turkish Airlines (terminal 1.) That gives me just 1:45 to get from terminal 8 to terminal 1. I am not checking any luggage, just a carry-on and a backpack.

How do I best handle this?

My girlfriend is currently in NYC and her driver said I should "exit past baggage claim, then take the blue and white inter-terminal bus rather than the Air Train, since the next stop is Term 1."

Another frequent traveler said that it is important to get on the train going the right way. From reading wikipedia it looks like I should get on the Howard Beach or Jamaica Station train and I will only have to go a couple stops. The All Terminals train would be the long way around the loop. If I miss my stop, well Jamaica Plain and Howards Beach both sound like lovely destinations

What am I missing? Could we start a consolidated "best inter-terminal transit" thread for future lurkers?

Thank you all,

Dan
Old May 24, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by ComputerX
Another frequent traveler said that it is important to get on the train going the right way. From reading wikipedia it looks like I should get on the Howard Beach or Jamaica Station train and I will only have to go a couple stops. The All Terminals train would be the long way around the loop. If I miss my stop, well Jamaica Plain and Howards Beach both sound like lovely destinations
If you take the Jamaica train you will need to get off at Federal Circle (which is the next stop after Terminal 8) and then wait for the next terminals-bound train which will then deposit you at Terminal 1 first stop. It might be faster to take the All Terminals train even if it does run in the opposite direction.

Haven't heard about the bus option before.

Oh, and welcome to FT
Old May 24, 2011, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just take the All Terminals AirTrain from Terminal 8 to Terminal 1. The one-seat ride will take all of 10 minutes or so.
Old May 25, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks.

Dan
Old May 27, 2011, 2:17 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ComputerX
I have read the FAQ and the wiki. There is an entry for "LGA Inter-Terminal Connections," but not for "JFK Inter-Terminal Connections."
Welcome, ComputerX & thanks for pointing this out! LGA connections are a bit trickier because it's all by bus or walking, but it'd be good to have a central resource for JFK as well, so I'll add this to our Sticky!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:49 am

jfk transfers?

Hi All,

What a great site thanks for all the valuable info and advice, it makes for great reading.

I'm looking for some advice, am due to arrive into JFK from Pls (Provo) with AA at 4pm and then have to connect onto Virgin travelling to London at 1930. Any advice as to the best way to do this with 2 children in tow. It's been a while since I was at JFK, the airtrain seems to be the best option but i'm a bit confused as to which direction and train number?

Leaving tomorrow so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by EllenS2
Hi All,

What a great site thanks for all the valuable info and advice, it makes for great reading.

I'm looking for some advice, am due to arrive into JFK from Pls (Provo) with AA at 4pm and then have to connect onto Virgin travelling to London at 1930. Any advice as to the best way to do this with 2 children in tow. It's been a while since I was at JFK, the airtrain seems to be the best option but i'm a bit confused as to which direction and train number?

Leaving tomorrow so any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Airtrain is the way to go, no matter what. You'll have plenty of time...

And since when does AA fly to anywhere from Provo???

P.S. Welcome to FT.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Keep in mind that the Airtrain is outside security so time may be an issue depending upon if your flight arrives on time. Take the Airtrain that DOES NOT say Howard Beach or Jamaica. You want the one that just loops around the airport.

Here's a map: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/jfk-airtrain-map.pdf

Here's a terminal map too: http://www.airportterminalmaps.com/J...minal-map.html

Welcome to Flyertalk, ComputerX.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:33 am

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by littlesheep
If I'm flying in to JFK on UA (from SFO) which is terminal 7, then need to catch a fight to Israel on Delta (terminal 4), how much time do I need? Same question for the reverse route?

I'm buying the tickets separately and don't know how much time to allow.

Is it possible to walk between terminals, or do you have to take the train? This would save going through the TSA again on the outbound.
It wouldn't save you from TSA, actually, because with the exception of Terminals 2 and 3 (Delta) all the terminals are individually sealed security islands. There's no airside transit access.

Transit time from T7 to T4 using the Airtrain should be no more than fifteen minutes. Note that Airtrains run in both directions and you want the inner-circle train that doesn't leave the airport. When you exit T7, go outside and take the elevator / escalator up to the Airtrain platform, and get on any train that is running from right to left as you face away from the terminal. Ride it for three stops. The signage is pretty good and helpful.

It's very difficult to walk between terminals, especially with luggage. Train much faster and easier.

You want to be in line for your TLV flight at least 2.5 hours before departure, so if you are reclaiming / rechecking your bag you should schedule at least a four-hour layover between flights.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:20 am

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:30 pm

You should also note that even though the DL TLV flight usually leaves from T4, T4 is a mixed terminal so it can be very crowded. Think of TBIT at LAX.

You can't actually walk between T7 and T4 at the moment because of the demolition of T6. For the reverse, you should take the AirTrain once again but this time look for the outside line train as it will be quicker.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by BearX220
Originally Posted by littlesheep
If I'm flying in to JFK on UA (from SFO) which is terminal 7, then need to catch a fight to Israel on Delta (terminal 4), how much time do I need? Same question for the reverse route?

I'm buying the tickets separately and don't know how much time to allow.

Is it possible to walk between terminals, or do you have to take the train? This would save going through the TSA again on the outbound.
It wouldn't save you from TSA, actually, because with the exception of Terminals 2 and 3 (Delta) all the terminals are individually sealed security islands. There's no airside transit access.

Transit time from T7 to T4 using the Airtrain should be no more than fifteen minutes. Note that Airtrains run in both directions and you want the inner-circle train that doesn't leave the airport. When you exit T7, go outside and take the elevator / escalator up to the Airtrain platform, and get on any train that is running from right to left as you face away from the terminal. Ride it for three stops. The signage is pretty good and helpful.

It's very difficult to walk between terminals, especially with luggage. Train much faster and easier.

You want to be in line for your TLV flight at least 2.5 hours before departure, so if you are reclaiming / rechecking your bag you should schedule at least a four-hour layover between flights.
It's only two stops -- not three -- from T7 to T4 on the "All Terminals" AirTrain. (T5 and T6 are served by a single AirTrain station.)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

It's only two stops -- not three -- from T7 to T4 on the "All Terminals" AirTrain. (T5 and T6 are served by a single AirTrain station.)
To be totally pedantic about BearX220's post T4 is also connected airside to T2 and T3 but an interterminal shuttle.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
To be totally pedantic about BearX220's post T4 is also connected airside to T2 and T3 but an interterminal shuttle.
You know, that is perfectly true... to get people from T3 over to the DL departures from T4 of the sort littlesheep is catching.

Further, I shamefacedly report that I nearly missed my DL flight last week, hiking back to the far reaches of T3 in search of "B28" when my flight left from plain old 28, over in T2. Backtracked and made it just in time. That rat's nest drives me crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.