Car service you can recommend from NJ to JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Hi,

I normally fly our of EWR but for the Japan trip I need to fly out of JFK. Does anyone have a reliable car service they can recommend?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
From where are you starting your car ride? I use Dial 7 in Manhattan, to or from any of the NYC airports. Carmel is often mentioned here.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Edison NJ
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blitzen
Edison NJ
Depending upon the time of your flight and the day of the week, it might be faster taking public transport to JFK. The traffic in Staten Island and the Belt Parkway can be killer.

NJT train to NYP > LIRR to Jamaica> Airtrain.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Train 1h Plus LIRR Plus .... with luggage ... no thank you

i asked for a car service on purpose
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Train 1h Plus LIRR Plus .... with luggage ... no thank you

i asked for a car service on purpose
^^^
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Lyft had always been good to me.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Juno App, most of the drivers are also Lyft and Uber drivers, but Juno is cheaper. I have never had a bad ride with them. I know, not exactly a car service, but I take them often from EWR into Brooklyn.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Juno .... never heard of them.

uber etc isnt bad to the Airport but going back they want to charge way higher rates
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Juno .... never heard of them.

uber etc isnt bad to the Airport but going back they want to charge way higher rates
Because NYC pickups require licensed livery drivers, which cost more than the Joe Drivers you can get with a NJ Uber pickup.

Is A1 still around? My family used to use them from the Princeton area ages ago.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Because NYC pickups require licensed livery drivers, which cost more than the Joe Drivers you can get with a NJ Uber pickup.

Is A1 still around? My family used to use them from the Princeton area ages ago.
that isnt the underlying problem as NYC pickups are not too bad but Uber charges extra for JFK. They tried the same pricing out of EWR (doubling the fare) but had to roll that back quickly. Same as they charge extra for NJ pickups south of exit xy (cant remember). So most of the time ibise Lyft as they have more even prizing (and not all the extra rebate or double the $ bs that Uber has).
But I want a car service recommendation as their service is better (pickup etc)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:18 pm

I don't think Juno (which is an Uber/Lyft clone that pays drivers better) picks up outside NYC. Almost certainly not in Edison.

I would try calling the big NYC-based basic car services like Dial7 and Carmel and see what they quote. I'm pretty sure most of them will pick up in NJ as long as the destination is in NY. Make sure you are factoring tolls and tips into the quote, though.

If you know anybody who lives in Edison, you might ask them for recommendations, too. In my experience car services run by the local immigrant community are often particularly good values. Given the huge South Asian community in Edison, I wouldn't be surprised if this one (from Yelp) fits that bill, although I know nothing else about them:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/shreeji-taxi-services-edison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.