Wiki Posts
Search

Manhattan Houston St/Broadway to JFK Fri 9/29th, 7:30pm to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Manhattan Houston St/Broadway to JFK Fri 9/29th, 7:30pm to Europe

Hi All:

I have a flight tomorrow, Friday, 9/29th, at 7:30pm from JFK to Europe. As such, it is an international flight, on a Friday night rush hour.

I am leaving from Houston Street (Manhattan) and Broadway to go to JFK in a car.

May I ask that with:

- Friday rush hour traffic!
- Unknown possibility of Trump travel plans/road closures
- Yom Kippur starting tomorrow
- so much road work going on all over Manhattan/Queens

what time would be smart in leaving my starting point in order to arrive comfortably, including factoring in the many unknowns mentioned above?

Thank you so much in advance.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
To be safe, given that most people who are observing Yom Kippur will be leaving their offices around 3pm, I would also leave around that time. Yes, you'll be stuck in traffic, but at least you'll have plenty of time to get there.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, @Mary2e.

Leaving at 3pm would mean arriving at 5pm most likely, as many would also leave at 3pm.

I was thinking whether it would be silly to leave at 2pm or even 1:45pm in order to try to beat the rush, and even including serious unexpected road closures, I'd be able to arrive more or less on time, if I were to leave at 2pm or even 1:45pm, which sounds silly early.

Your advice/comments would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:05 am

It's not likely Trump would be anywhere along your route from lower Manhattan to JFK.

It is a bit too long to leave at 1:45 or 2pm unless you don't mind hanging out at the airport.

No matter what, you're going to hit traffic that afternoon.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There's a pretty significant sewer project a few blocks away at Bowery and Houston that has been a traffic headache for several months. I'd try and set your pickup point on the downtown side of Broadway below Houston to avoid some of that mess (assuming your car will take the Williamsburg).

I'd expect a 75-90 min ride and budget 2 hours as a buffer.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 28, 2017 at 11:57 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dualmonitors
Thanks for your reply, @Mary2e.

Leaving at 3pm would mean arriving at 5pm most likely, as many would also leave at 3pm.

I was thinking whether it would be silly to leave at 2pm or even 1:45pm in order to try to beat the rush, and even including serious unexpected road closures, I'd be able to arrive more or less on time, if I were to leave at 2pm or even 1:45pm, which sounds silly early.

Your advice/comments would be most appreciated. Thank you.
If you really don't want to take the subway and Airtrain, I would leave between 1:45 - 2pm. Traffic stresses me especially with the holiday on Saturday!

I have a 7:30 flight Tuesday evening to LHR and I'm leaving at 3:30pm from midtown via the E and Airtrain.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
If you really don't want to take the subway and Airtrain, I would leave between 1:45 - 2pm. Traffic stresses me especially with the holiday on Saturday!

I have a 7:30 flight Tuesday evening to LHR and I'm leaving at 3:30pm from midtown via the E and Airtrain.
@Analise: your method of transportation, via the E and the Airtrain, is far more reliable than me going by car. i have luggage so i can't use the E/Airtrain easily.

I'm thinking that leaving at 1:45pm would mean arriving at JFK at around 4pm, which would leave around 1+ hour as a buffer prior to the 2-3 hr suggested arrival time due to the extensive shoes off/hand baggage check lines.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:46 pm

@Analise: your method of transportation, via the E and the Airtrain, is far more reliable than me going by car. i have luggage so i can't use the E/Airtrain easily.
How much luggage do you have? I will have an upright pullman, a day tote bag, and a purse. Unless you have a trunk, you could take the subway and Airtrain unless of course you have some kind of disability that prevents you. I've seen countless people with huge rolling suitcases taking public transport to JFK and LGA. Just a thought.

I'm thinking that leaving at 1:45pm would mean arriving at JFK at around 4pm, which would leave around 1+ hour as a buffer prior to the 2-3 hr suggested arrival time due to the extensive shoes off/hand baggage check lines.
If you do take car service, you'll be fine with that schedule.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
How much luggage do you have? I will have an upright pullman, a day tote bag, and a purse. Unless you have a trunk, you could take the subway and Airtrain unless of course you have some kind of disability that prevents you. I've seen countless people with huge rolling suitcases taking public transport to JFK and LGA. Just a thought.

If you do take car service, you'll be fine with that schedule.
i'm going on a 1-month trip to two countries with dramatically different climates and different requirements for attire. it's too bad but that's the way things worked out.

i'll have 2 full sized large suitcases (both to be checked in), plus one roller on, and one backpack (both of these are carried on board, of course).

i can't handle all that by myself on the nyc subway.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:39 pm

i'm going on a 1-month trip to two countries with dramatically different climates and different requirements for attire. it's too bad but that's the way things worked out.

i'll have 2 full sized large suitcases (both to be checked in), plus one roller on, and one backpack (both of these are carried on board, of course).

i can't handle all that by myself on the nyc subway.
Got it.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This really is a function of how early you like to get to the airport. You're probably looking at a 60- to 90-minute drive. Were it me, I'd leave at 3:30 knowing that even if the drive stretched to 120 minutes I'd still have plenty of time.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:50 pm

Well, I hope he's there already.

Boy, do I not miss working in NYC and dealing with traffic.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all you good folks!

I left super early, silly early, at 1:45pm, arrived at 3:25pm.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.