Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Is Stewart Airport really the 'next big thing'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Hey FTers,

I'm looking to book my old mum on a little trip to New York. The cheapest option is by flying London - Edinburgh - Stewart.

I stumbled on an article about the airport and it seems to think its the next big thing to hit New York and the 'future of transatlantic travel'. The reasons he gives are good and I'd suggest reading it...

thelondonspotter.co.uk/stewartairport

Is it a good idea booking this trip for my mum or this blogger simply trying to get in the airports good books?

Thanks for all your help
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:37 pm

no, it's a terrible idea. Only fly into JFK or EWR. Everywhere else is really confusing and tortuous ride to midtown. There are plenty of cheap TATL options now. I'd even recommend one hop on icelandair ahead of flying to SWF.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to the Catskills, SWF would be great.
Otherwise I'd wait until the high-speed rail link to Manhattan is completed...in about 50 years.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/1...t-airport.html
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Hi - I reposted due to there being a bug in the og post. Sorry about that.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:24 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
There's decent shuttle bus service from Stewart to Port Authority. But Norwegian is your typical LCC with extra fees and tiny seats. If that's ok for you it's a great option
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tphuang
no, it's a terrible idea. Only fly into JFK or EWR. Everywhere else is really confusing and tortuous ride to midtown. There are plenty of cheap TATL options now. I'd even recommend one hop on icelandair ahead of flying to SWF.
HPN isn't a bad airport to fly into, as you can always hop a cab ride to the Metro North into NYC...but it doesn't handle any international travel.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:10 am

yep, hpn is a nice airport, i was just thinking of international options.

As for bus shuttle, don't believe their schedule. If you come in during the afternoon, it's a parking lot in many part trying to get into Manhattan. Getting through GW bridge is nightmare. And also think about this, you had just spent 8 hours on a cramped 737, do you really want to subject yourself to another 2 hours in a squeezed bus (this is different from taking taxi/uber) and then trying to figure out how to go from port authority to your hotel?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
MacArthur had the same hype and theory. And Hartford is also trying to get into the game.

While it works in Europe to have LLC fly to/from the outskirts airport - they have significantly better & more frequent public transportation whereas if someone is with a bag - it will not get repeat customers.

Can you imagine - someone in Staten Island or Brooklyn flying to Europe require to get to Stewart without a car?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Can you imagine - someone in Staten Island or Brooklyn flying to Europe require to get to Stewart without a car?
I can't, which is why I really question if anyone is going to fly this outside of ex-European travelers who don't know any better. Locals certainly wouldn't, IMO (but then again, it seems like kettles will do anything if it appears to save them money on a plane fare).
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Norwegian? Good luck!
octr202 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.