FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Is Stewart Airport really the 'next big thing'? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1867985-stewart-airport-really-next-big-thing.html)

RajStevenson Sep 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Is Stewart Airport really the 'next big thing'?

Hey FTers,

I'm looking to book my old mum on a little trip to New York. The cheapest option is by flying London - Edinburgh - Stewart.

I stumbled on an article about the airport and it seems to think its the next big thing to hit New York and the 'future of transatlantic travel'. The reasons he gives are good and I'd suggest reading it...

thelondonspotter.co.uk/stewartairport

Is it a good idea booking this trip for my mum or this blogger simply trying to get in the airports good books?

Thanks for all your help

tphuang Sep 21, 2017 7:37 pm

no, it's a terrible idea. Only fly into JFK or EWR. Everywhere else is really confusing and tortuous ride to midtown. There are plenty of cheap TATL options now. I'd even recommend one hop on icelandair ahead of flying to SWF.

ijgordon Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm

If you're going to the Catskills, SWF would be great.
Otherwise I'd wait until the high-speed rail link to Manhattan is completed...in about 50 years. :D

tom911 Sep 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/1...t-airport.html

RajStevenson Sep 22, 2017 12:50 am

Hi - I reposted due to there being a bug in the og post. Sorry about that.

Out of my Element Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am

There's decent shuttle bus service from Stewart to Port Authority. But Norwegian is your typical LCC with extra fees and tiny seats. If that's ok for you it's a great option

PsiFighter37 Sep 23, 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 28844370)
no, it's a terrible idea. Only fly into JFK or EWR. Everywhere else is really confusing and tortuous ride to midtown. There are plenty of cheap TATL options now. I'd even recommend one hop on icelandair ahead of flying to SWF.

HPN isn't a bad airport to fly into, as you can always hop a cab ride to the Metro North into NYC...but it doesn't handle any international travel.

tphuang Sep 23, 2017 11:10 am

yep, hpn is a nice airport, i was just thinking of international options.

As for bus shuttle, don't believe their schedule. If you come in during the afternoon, it's a parking lot in many part trying to get into Manhattan. Getting through GW bridge is nightmare. And also think about this, you had just spent 8 hours on a cramped 737, do you really want to subject yourself to another 2 hours in a squeezed bus (this is different from taking taxi/uber) and then trying to figure out how to go from port authority to your hotel?

RooseveltL Sep 29, 2017 8:27 pm

MacArthur had the same hype and theory. And Hartford is also trying to get into the game.

While it works in Europe to have LLC fly to/from the outskirts airport - they have significantly better & more frequent public transportation whereas if someone is with a bag - it will not get repeat customers.

Can you imagine - someone in Staten Island or Brooklyn flying to Europe require to get to Stewart without a car?

PsiFighter37 Sep 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL (Post 28875994)
Can you imagine - someone in Staten Island or Brooklyn flying to Europe require to get to Stewart without a car?

I can't, which is why I really question if anyone is going to fly this outside of ex-European travelers who don't know any better. Locals certainly wouldn't, IMO (but then again, it seems like kettles will do anything if it appears to save them money on a plane fare).

UKtravelbear Sep 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Norwegian? Good luck!