Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR to JFK fastest transfer method

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
A 20-minute headway on LIRR trains from NYP to Jamaica on a weekday afternoon seems odd, unless some trains had been cancelled. What time of day was this? How did you determine when the next train to Jamaica was?
This looked like an unlucky coincidence. The rest of the day the trains appeared more frequent. This was based on the monitors in the station showing train departures and there were a ton of people waiting. I also confirmed with another person waiting that I was not missing something.

Yes, there was a bag to check to that was first concern. I know the board time is not the final deadline but I figured there was not a whole lot of time after that so did not want to risk it.

Last edited by JohnFinTx; May 28, 2017 at 10:39 am
Old May 21, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I just looked it up. To my surprise there's a 27-minute gap between 11:38am and 12:05pm, between 12:38pm and 1:05pm, and between 1:38pm and 2:05pm. Obviously the OP was no longer in a rush so it didn't really matter, but in other circumstances it would make sense to jump on the E train rather than wait for the next LIRR train.
Oof, that's pretty bad. I wonder if it has to do with schedule cutbacks for the trackwork? (Or too soon for that?). I imagine it hasn't always been like that. But good to keep in mind since i rarely check the actual LIRR schedule when going to JFK (as opposed to when I take NJT to EWR, though that's been ages...)
Old May 14, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
Updated question for similar transfer on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend. United domestic arriving EWR 3 PM, United partner international departure JFK in Business just after 7 PM, all on one United award ticket. Both pax have Global Entry. We'd take a car service. How advisable is this?

Would United be responsible to put us on a different flight and still in Business if we missed flight due to traffic?
Old May 14, 2018, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DBruce49
Updated question for similar transfer on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend. United domestic arriving EWR 3 PM, United partner international departure JFK in Business just after 7 PM, all on one United award ticket. Both pax have Global Entry. We'd take a car service. How advisable is this?

Would United be responsible to put us on a different flight and still in Business if we missed flight due to traffic?
GE doesn't play into this at all unless the onward partner participates in TSA PreCheck.

You'll probably be fine, with an hour in the lounge. Technically UA is responsible for rebooking but no guarantees it is the immediate next flight of that J space is available.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
Thank you sbm12. Our aim would be to have only carryon which should improve our chances. Clearly, I don't want to cash in a whack of miles for J only to be stuck in Economy. (I've seen that happen with paid tickets and United cancelling a flight.)
Old May 14, 2018, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Sunday of Memorial Day is a traffic nightmare in both directions. I would have in hand options out of EWR and even PHL in case of a delayed arrival into EWR.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Traffic shouldn’t be so terrible in the middle of the holiday weekend. Friday or Monday, yes, but I wouldn’t expect Sunday afternoon to be so bad.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
A little late, but this would have totally been makeable. Even if you needed an hour to leave EWR which isn't crazy because UA is slow with bags at EWR, you could VERY safely underwrite two hours to JFK, even by road (probably could underwrite a drop less by mass transit, but not much), and you'd be at JFK T-60, which is fine for Turkish business. Would have saved you a change fee. Oh well.

Also should be noted that, if it wasn't already done, this was likely bookable on a single ticket which would've alleviated any concerns on misconnection.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is not good even if the EWR arrival is on time. If it's late, you're going to be in for a stressful ride. You'll have traffic issues on the SI Expressway and the Belt Parkway is often a parking lot of traffic. You should hope for a stellar forecast for Memorial Day because if the forecast is rain, more people will be on the road choosing to return home sooner.

Global entry is for int'l arrivals into the US. That said, GE means you have TSA Precheck which you'll need.

On an award ticket? Reach out to United to find out.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA MM

Which airline out of JFK? It matters as they must be a member of the PreCheck program for your GE membership to give you PreCheck status at JFK security.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P

Single ticket, United is responsible. As I said above, security will rarely be the limiting factor at JFK if you can make it in time to drop your bags. You have effectively two hours to get there, which you might use most of, but I'd still be fine with this. If you are massively delayed into EWR, you're at a United hub with lots of rebooking options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.